Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The most important meal of the day

I absolutely love pretty much every vegan breakfast food out there, but my hands-down favorite is oatmeal. I like to experiment with my oatmeal, and the following recipe is the best experiment I’ve come up with so far (stay tuned)…

Peanut Butter and Banana Oatmeal Fusion

Prepare a serving of oatmeal, using non-dairy milk instead of water. (I like Old Wessex Irish oats– they’re creamier than other varieties.)

In a food processor, blend together about a tablespoon (or more) of peanut butter and 1/2 a ripe banana.

Add the cooked oatmeal to the food processor and blend again.

1. VeggieGirl says:

as you know, I LOVE oatmeal, and your recipe sounds so good – actually, I already planned on having oatmeal mixed with lots of almond butter and hempmilk tomorrow, for lunch :0)

your restaurant meal sounds quite delicious as well – I love Asian food; and I’m sure the vegan meal WAS infinitely better than your friend’s meal, haha

2. Vegan_Noodle says:

Sounds like a yummy, healthy breakfast!! I like to do a similar thing with quinoa, plus I add some ground flax.
    Thanks for the tip about Pei Wei…we have one around the area somewhere and I’ve never tried them. Good to hear they have vegan options!

3. Bruised Orange says:

This is my favorite thing to eat right now. I add raisins, though. It is the awesomest. It makes my morning so much happier.

For those who hate the blender (such a pain if you don’t have a dishwasher, especially) you can just put the banana, pb, and liquid in the pan and mash with a potato masher.

4. Denali says:

Well written article.

5. Mmm! That sounds so great! I love experimenting with oatmeal too! And I love PB and Banana!!

6. Amanda says:

Hi Katie! I didn’t have any banana (they’re $13.95AU per kilo over here right now!), so I thought how about PB&J oatmeal?! I put 1T PB, handful of frozen raspberries, 2t maple syrup and just enough soy milk to cover. 2 1/2 mins in the microwave and when it comes out an extra 1/4 cup cold soy, stir and enjoy! I like mine with texture, but you could microwave for longer if you wanted a smoother texture :)
    And just for laughs I added 2T of goji’s just because I love ’em!

1. That sounds awesome! I want some :).

7. Susan says:

I’m making my first oatmeal of the season today since the weather has been in the low 60’s for the last few days. I just had to come try one of your recipes. Unfortunately, I’m out of chocolate chips (gasp!), so I made the peanut butter banana oatmeal, but used Bob’s Red Mill 8-grain cereal instead of oats (I think I like the volume of oats better). Can you please share how you prevent your oatmeal from overflowing while it’s cooking in the microwave? No matter how big my bowl is, I always make a mess! I can’t wait to try the rest of your oatmeal recipes!

1. I have a reeeaally tall pyrex dish. Also, I microwave 3 minutes (without watching it). Then I microwave another minute, but I watch closely that it doesn’t start to spill over. If it does (which sometimes happens when there are around 20 seconds left), I’ll quickly open the door and then when it goes back down I’ll microwave in ten second increments until the next minute’s up.

8. Sonja says:

I love oatmeal as well and tried this recipe today (I’m eating it right now). I used quinoa instead of oats (because I run out of oats) and it is totally yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!

1. I am so so excited you liked it!