Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The OTHER College Bar Scene

As a college student, it sometimes feels as if I’m in a perpetual rush. There’s always another class, another party, or another study group to attend. I often find myself in need of a fast, portable snack… that’s where energy bars come in.

Over the years, I’ve become quite the vegan-energy-bar connoisseur, having sampled a large number of the bars available– Clif, Luna, Lara, Jocalat, Odwalla, Zoe, Pure, Bumble, Vega, etc.

So which bar is best? Well, I guess that depends on what you’re looking for, as well as your own personal taste preferences.

Me? I am partial to Clif Z bars. What’s your favorite?

1. The Veggie Cookster says:

I like the Luna bars, but I confess I haven’t tried many of the others so I guess I can’t really compare. :-/

2. VeggieGirl says:

hahaha, I LOVE the title of this post ;0)

I like different energy bars for different reasons: I love the Odwalla Super Protein bars for extra fuel/calories when working out; I like the Luna bars for occasional snacks on-the-road when traveling; but Larabars are my favorite, for their simplicity – and I love to have them for my daily morning snacks (portable fruit & nut mixture, basically – easy to tote to classes)

3. vko says:

too funny! I am long pass my college bar years, but my post-college bar is a Clif bar, though Lara Bars are less processed- Clif bars are like candy bars but better!

4. LK says:

We love Odwalla bars – banana walnut and chocolate are like a dessert! Try them heated slightly, too.

Also, Larabars are great.

5. White Trash Blog says:

No offense but Z bars are not vegan…they contain traces of milk…may not be a big deal for those vegan for principal but it can be a big deal for those with milk allergies.

6. Theresa says:

Can we just pause for a second and say how gorgeous you are?!

7. maybepigscanfly says:

Gotta go with Lara bars… although I’ve never had the Z bars.

8. healthnut says:

My favorite are the Lara Bars, I love how they only have a few ingredients :)

9. aTxVegn says:

Luna Smores!

10. VegMomma says:

I’m all about the Lara Bar. I went to a folk music festival last summer, and there was a guy giving away free samples…. the ploy worked, ’cause I’m hooked! :)

11. Pink Theory says:

Aaack! You’ve posted so many yummy foods since I last stopped by. I love the title of this post as well! I have also sampled many a vegan protein/energy bar and I still have to say that Luna bars are my favorite by far. Cliff bars are a close second.

12. chophel says:

hai vegan,
    first of all i would like to say Tashi Deleg, my name is Pema Chophel and I am Tibetan, by seen your blog and read about yourself you love to help people, Is it, what kind of help did you offer, through kind or cash, i need some help through kind not in cash, can you please, a words from your is highy appreciate, Thank you.

13. Vegyogini says:

I eat a Luna bar every weekday for breakfast. They taste good and are filled w/ vitamins and minerals. :)

14. springsandwells says:

Oh what a fun post. I, too, am a real bar fiend. I have tried so many, and I like all different ones.

I like the Z Bar – but most especially in Peanut Butter. I just looked on the wrapper and noticed that it does indeed say “contains traces of milk.” Hmmm… not sure if I care or not on that one.

I like the new Nectar Bars, especially the Mocha flavor. I like Clif Bars, especially Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip. And I like Luna Bars – sometimes I get a chocolately one for a treat, but for actual food needs I like the Toasted Nuts and Cranberry flavor. I like Luna bars pretty well… I like the banana one, and ginger snap. Odwalla banana is not my first choice, but tastes like real food and is good for some variety.

As you can see, for each individual brand, I have a favorite flavor!

I sampled the Vega bars at the SF Veggie Fest, and I can’t say I was impressed. I did not think they were tasty at all!

Have you tried Art Bars?? I think those might be my new favorite. They are pricey ($3???) but really good, full of whole foods & nutrients, and really feel like something healthy and filling. I am considering stock piling those for my upcoming trip to India.

Wow. I guess I had a lot to say on this topic after all!

15. Sam says:

Clif Z are amazing. The chocolate chip are my favorite! I also love the black cherry almond Clif bars and the lemon zest Luna bars. heck, if it’s in bar form, I’ll probably eat it…

16. Meg Wolff says:

My husband likes the Odawalla bars. Sometimes he heats them in the oven! :-)

17. Ashasarala says:

I love Odwalla the best, but honestly, I try to stay away from all of them. I think they are packed with too many un-healthy fats and odd descriptions such as ‘other carbs’.

I don’t rule them out altogether, though. They are too tasty not to have every once in a while!

18. herbivore says:

Odwalla Sweet and Salty are my favorite. The peanut ones remind me of peanut brittle, though softer.