Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Friends are the chocolate chips in the cookies of life.

Can you think of anything better to do on a cold, rainy day than make cookies? I can’t!
So one frigid, soggy day in January, I turned on the oven, called up a friend, and filled the house with a sweet, chocolatey perfume.

The chocolate chip recipe we used:

Melt-in-your-Mouth Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup Canola oil
3/4 cup granulated [white] sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ener-G egg rplacer for 2 eggs
2 cups (12-ounce package) chocolate chips (we used Whole Foods’ brand)

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in a large mixer bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Finally, add the egg replacer, following directions on the Ener-G box. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
BAKE in preheated 375-degree [Fahrenheit] oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

We were being silly and put flour on our faces… but some of it got into my nose and made me sneeze!

1. Cookiemouse says:

I just love the picture of you guys with the flour on your faces! That’s also a great recipe. Chocolate cookies are just the thing for a cookiemouse.

2. Jenny says:

Those look yummy. I bet my son will make me bake these up this weekend!

3. Romina says:

I can’t think of a better way to spend a cold day either.

Thanks for the recipe! I’m always looking for simple cookie recipes (ie, no long lists!!).

4. Ruby Red Vegan says:

I love the title of your post – it’s the perfect quote!

And in the picture, you’re not chocolate-covered vegan, oh no. You’re FLOUR-covered vegan! Hahaha.

5. Cody says:

I was just saying last night that I needed to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I haven’t had them in so long…

They look yummy.

6. Alison Nicole says:

youre so cute! i love cookies. my favorites are oatmeal chocolate chip!!

7. Lizzy says:

Wonderful title <3 and so true =)

Aww, the picture looks cute! Ha ha, every time I bake I put at least a bit flour on the tip of my nose. To get the See-how-hard-I’m-working-here-look =p
    I should consider buying an apron soon, because after each baking session my whole clothing is covered in a layer of flour, ha ha!

Your cookies look great, I’ll definitely bookmark this recipe. Oh and I’ll send you the recipe later. I’m at work right now and even though I had VWAV with me yesterday, the only cookbook lying next to me right now is VCTOTW (yes, I will bake cupcakes tonight) 😉
    I’ll send it to your EMail address that’s listed in your profile, okay?

Oh and you can’t believe how relieved I was last night when my boyfriend told me his results were negative. It’s still weird though, because his symptoms totally fit diabetes. Anyway, he has already given up smoking, coffee and will go to the gym regularly now so I’m glad to see that he is at least doing something for his health. Who knows, maybe if I’m patient enough he’ll give up meat some day and switch to Tofu, ha ha! One can hope, can’t one? 😉

1. Liz says:

nothing wrong with a little animal protein… that is as long as it’s organic and preferably local!! so that pretty much means eating at home/whole foods mini restaurants. Which personally I love 😀

8. Lizzy says:

And thank you SO MUCH for the mashed cauliflower recipe =D
    I actually wanted to make it last night, but ended up with roasted veggies again 😉
    They’re just too good!

9. Mel says:

I love the picture of you and your friend. It looks like you had a lot of fun making those cookies. They look so good. I’m taking a break from baking for now as my pants are getting a little too thight :-) I’ve been eating too much cookies, cupcakes and cakes. Who can blame me? Vegan cooking is so fun and everything I cooked turned out to be sooooo good.

10. Johanna3 says:

love the title and the post, so cute!!!

11. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Now that I’ve looked back at your Oatmeal Raisin Pudding, I see that my carob version is nearly identical… Haha. I’m going to edit my post now and link back to your wonderful recipe!!! :)

Dang it. Your chocolate chip cookies look so, so, so good.

12. Jennifer says:

You guys are adorable! And the cookies look yummy too!

13. Lizzy says:

Oh wow, that is so scary =/
    I, too was soooo relieved yesterday. Thank you for caring so much!!

Ha ha, it is SO damn hard to decide on a cupcake =P
    You should see my cookbook, nearly every page is flagged, ha ha! I use green, yellow, pink and orange post-its, so it looks like the pages are rainbow colored, hehe =p

Ohhh, how awesome is that!! My best friend had me watch Friends in English a few years ago. I had only seen it on TV a few times before, but the German version is just CRAP. They take out all the jokes and the voices are so super annoying,
    But then I saw it in English and have been obsessed with it ever since. My friend and I use sooo many quotes in our daily life. When she was in a Hotel in Las Vegas, she recorded herself “… toothbrush, tooth paste, deodorant, shaving cream, aftershave… and I feel like I’m forgetting something… is there anything I haven’t asked for yet? Sure, go ahead, send up some tapons!”
    I cracked up when she send me the video =p

14. VTvegetarian says:

I have a question…don’t chocolate chips have milk/eggs in them? I just started out with veganism and am not full-fledged into it yet (I’m not sure if I’ll ever be) so I was curious as to whether chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips were vegan??? Thanks!

1. Liz says:

they have vegan chocolate chips at whole foods 😀

15. Valentina says:

this photo is beautiful!! I made the same cookies just a couple of weeks ago.. yummy!

16. Eleonora says:

Uao you’re very pretty in these photos!!!
    Love your blog.
    I put it in my Google Reader (so I will be always up-to-date with your new posts) and I’ll put it in my blog too as soon as possible!

17. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Hey VTVegetarian,

To answer your question, many brands of semi-sweet chocolate chips are already dairy-free, such as Ghiradelli, Wal-Mart and Sams’ brands, Tropical Source, etc. Also, health food stores such as Whole Foods sell many brands of chocolate chips that are also vegan. Hope that helps! If you have any other questions or anything, feel free to email me:

18. Vegan_Noodle says:

A great way to spend a day… plus you end up with yummy cookies to eat!

19. Traci Anne says:

These were AMAZING!!!!

20. Ashasarala says:

They look so yummy! Me-want!

I LOVE baking on chilly days. Cookies and cupcakes are always my go-to… though I did get a little over-zealous recently when I made a 12x18x2 sheet cake. Ah, well. At least work peops, friends and family got to enjoy tons of it!

21. Missy the Garden Freak says:

i’d have to say that if a guy knew anything about me, the most important thing would be that i am IN LOVE with chocolate chip cookies… they are my ALL TIME favorite sweet or snack.. especially homemade soft and chewy ones… i’m telling you.. my man would have to know he’ll only ever be able to be my second love.. chocolate chip cookies will always be my number one love… ha ha ..

22. Anardana says:

yum yum!

23. Britt- Sparkled Vintage Charm says:

yummy!! I will have to tryt hem!! I hope you have a wonderful day!! Hugs!! Britt :-)

24. Jenny says:

hmm, any chance this is the extreme close up?! now that you’ve added the new pics I’m thinking something chocolate chip?!

p.s. this is an amaze way to have people check out your recipes — your more of a culinary genius than I thought! :)

25. Anna says:

see; i really ought to give this a go. made a nice spice cookie the other day but no measurements; i tend to cook by how it looks and tastes—though that may be why i can’t seem to make a chocolate chip cookie that actually melts into shape.

26. Laura E says:

I think this might be the closeup! Thanks for the opportunity.

27. patricia says:

I write from Spain, do you think kamut flour can work well instead of wheat?
    Thanks for the recipe!

1. Ooooh hola Patricia! I’m so excited to get a comment from someone in Spain, as I love Spain!!
      Anywhoos, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. If you try it, let me know :).

28. Lori says:

I’m totally loving the title of this post. Seriously… and so true.
    Yum! Can’t wait to make these.

29. Great recipe. For some reason, I didn’t think you “did” sugar. But these have regular sugar in them?

1. I don’t avoid ALL sugar, I just eat a low-sugar diet because too much makes me feel sluggish. But it doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy foods with sugar on occasion.
      (And actually, this post is a few years old. I haven’t made these cookies in a loooong time. But maybe I should; they’re good!)

30. Amy says:

Estimated calorie count?

31. Rachel says:

Oh my god, these look so good!! By any chance have you tried these cookies with any other flours successfully? I’m in bed feeling off, and I would love some cookies :) Feel free to airmail the next batch my way to New Zealand :)

32. Nikki says:

These came out like mushy pancakes for me. :( I realized this fortunately after the first batch went in, so I added some flour to make them more solid. This definitely helped, but they still had an oily taste. I must be doing something wrong!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You may want to check out the troubleshoot comments in the Recipe FAQ section at the top of Katie’s blog. Here’s the link: