Friends are the chocolate chips in the cookies of life.

Can you think of anything better to do on a cold, rainy day than make cookies? I can’t!
So one frigid, soggy day in January, I turned on the oven, called up a friend, and filled the house with a sweet, chocolatey perfume.

The chocolate chip recipe we used:

Melt-in-your-Mouth Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup Canola oil
3/4 cup granulated [white] sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Ener-G egg rplacer for 2 eggs
2 cups (12-ounce package) chocolate chips (we used Whole Foods’ brand)

COMBINE flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl. Beat oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla in a large mixer bowl. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Finally, add the egg replacer, following directions on the Ener-G box. Drop by rounded tablespoon onto ungreased baking sheets.
BAKE in preheated 375-degree [Fahrenheit] oven for 9 to 11 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

We were being silly and put flour on our faces… but some of it got into my nose and made me sneeze!

Tags:

1. Cookiemouse says:

I just love the picture of you guys with the flour on your faces! That’s also a great recipe. Chocolate cookies are just the thing for a cookiemouse.

2. Jenny says:

Those look yummy. I bet my son will make me bake these up this weekend!

3. Romina says:

I can’t think of a better way to spend a cold day either.

Thanks for the recipe! I’m always looking for simple cookie recipes (ie, no long lists!!).

4. Ruby Red Vegan says:

I love the title of your post – it’s the perfect quote!

And in the picture, you’re not chocolate-covered vegan, oh no. You’re FLOUR-covered vegan! Hahaha.

5. Cody says:

I was just saying last night that I needed to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I haven’t had them in so long…

They look yummy.

6. Alison Nicole says:

youre so cute! i love cookies. my favorites are oatmeal chocolate chip!!

7. Lizzy says:

Wonderful title <3 and so true =)

Aww, the picture looks cute! Ha ha, every time I bake I put at least a bit flour on the tip of my nose. To get the See-how-hard-I’m-working-here-look =p
    I should consider buying an apron soon, because after each baking session my whole clothing is covered in a layer of flour, ha ha!

Your cookies look great, I’ll definitely bookmark this recipe. Oh and I’ll send you the recipe later. I’m at work right now and even though I had VWAV with me yesterday, the only cookbook lying next to me right now is VCTOTW (yes, I will bake cupcakes tonight) 😉
    I’ll send it to your EMail address that’s listed in your profile, okay?

Oh and you can’t believe how relieved I was last night when my boyfriend told me his results were negative. It’s still weird though, because his symptoms totally fit diabetes. Anyway, he has already given up smoking, coffee and will go to the gym regularly now so I’m glad to see that he is at least doing something for his health. Who knows, maybe if I’m patient enough he’ll give up meat some day and switch to Tofu, ha ha! One can hope, can’t one? 😉

1. Liz says:

nothing wrong with a little animal protein… that is as long as it’s organic and preferably local!! so that pretty much means eating at home/whole foods mini restaurants. Which personally I love 😀

8. Lizzy says:

And thank you SO MUCH for the mashed cauliflower recipe =D
    I actually wanted to make it last night, but ended up with roasted veggies again 😉
    They’re just too good!

9. Mel says:

I love the picture of you and your friend. It looks like you had a lot of fun making those cookies. They look so good. I’m taking a break from baking for now as my pants are getting a little too thight 🙂 I’ve been eating too much cookies, cupcakes and cakes. Who can blame me? Vegan cooking is so fun and everything I cooked turned out to be sooooo good.

10. Johanna3 says:

love the title and the post, so cute!!!

11. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Now that I’ve looked back at your Oatmeal Raisin Pudding, I see that my carob version is nearly identical… Haha. I’m going to edit my post now and link back to your wonderful recipe!!! 🙂

Dang it. Your chocolate chip cookies look so, so, so good.

12. Jennifer says:

You guys are adorable! And the cookies look yummy too!

13. Lizzy says:

Oh wow, that is so scary =/
    I, too was soooo relieved yesterday. Thank you for caring so much!!

Ha ha, it is SO damn hard to decide on a cupcake =P
    You should see my cookbook, nearly every page is flagged, ha ha! I use green, yellow, pink and orange post-its, so it looks like the pages are rainbow colored, hehe =p

Ohhh, how awesome is that!! My best friend had me watch Friends in English a few years ago. I had only seen it on TV a few times before, but the German version is just CRAP. They take out all the jokes and the voices are so super annoying,
    But then I saw it in English and have been obsessed with it ever since. My friend and I use sooo many quotes in our daily life. When she was in a Hotel in Las Vegas, she recorded herself “… toothbrush, tooth paste, deodorant, shaving cream, aftershave… and I feel like I’m forgetting something… is there anything I haven’t asked for yet? Sure, go ahead, send up some tapons!”
    I cracked up when she send me the video =p

14. VTvegetarian says:

I have a question…don’t chocolate chips have milk/eggs in them? I just started out with veganism and am not full-fledged into it yet (I’m not sure if I’ll ever be) so I was curious as to whether chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate chips were vegan??? Thanks!

1. Liz says:

they have vegan chocolate chips at whole foods 😀

15. Valentina says:

this photo is beautiful!! I made the same cookies just a couple of weeks ago.. yummy!

16. Eleonora says:

Uao you’re very pretty in these photos!!!
    Love your blog.
    I put it in my Google Reader (so I will be always up-to-date with your new posts) and I’ll put it in my blog too as soon as possible!
    Eleonora

17. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Hey VTVegetarian,

To answer your question, many brands of semi-sweet chocolate chips are already dairy-free, such as Ghiradelli, Wal-Mart and Sams’ brands, Tropical Source, etc. Also, health food stores such as Whole Foods sell many brands of chocolate chips that are also vegan. Hope that helps! If you have any other questions or anything, feel free to email me: vegieprincess@msn.com

18. Vegan_Noodle says:

A great way to spend a day… plus you end up with yummy cookies to eat!

19. Traci Anne says:

These were AMAZING!!!!

20. Ashasarala says:

They look so yummy! Me-want!

I LOVE baking on chilly days. Cookies and cupcakes are always my go-to… though I did get a little over-zealous recently when I made a 12x18x2 sheet cake. Ah, well. At least work peops, friends and family got to enjoy tons of it!