Wally’s Vegetarian Chili

Midterms looming. Essays calling. Homework knocking… I invited a few friends over to de-stress, and together we cooked up Wally’s Chili while listening to music and relaxing. After my friends went home, I turned back to my other good friends– the essays, midterms, and homework. But now with renewed energy.

Wally’s Vegetarian Chili

(For the story on this chili, click here)

• 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium green pepper, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 16oz extra-firm tofu, drained and crumbled (for soy-free, just substitute another can or two of beans)
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp hot sauce, or more if desired
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 19oz can red kidney beans, drained
  • 1 19oz can pinto beans, drained
  • 1 19oz can garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1 28oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 14oz cans tomato sauce
  • 3 medium carrots, sliced
  • 2 1/4 tablespoons chili powder

Saute the first four ingredients over medium heat. Add the tofu, cumin, hot sauce, salt, and pepper, and saute until crisp and lightly browned (10 minutes). Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 45 to 55 minutes. Really good when served with creamy polenta:

Creamy Polenta

• 1 cup polenta (I use whole-grain)
  • 3 cups milk of choice
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Optional: 1 tablespoon butter-type spread of choice

Bring milk of choice and salt to a boil. Add polenta and buttery spread (if using), and reduce heat. Cook slowly for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for a couple of minutes. Serves 3-4.

1. Vegan_Noodle says:

Best of luck on your midterms!! Oh I really don’t miss those (although there’s lots about school I do miss) An afternoon off sounds like just the way to give you the energy to get back to studying! Those corn muffins look tasty…

2. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Ah, corn muffins and chili! That’s a great way to de-stress…sounds like you had fun. Where’s the picture of your nails, hmmm? 😉

Too bad homework and essays are not friends with me. I’d call them enemies, in fact. Hehe.

3. Virgo Girl says:

Cool, you just inspired me to de-stress in the kitchen. There is nothing like good food to energize and facilitate focus!

4. Romina says:

I hear you! It’s the perfect time for comfort foods. Best of luck on your midterms and essays. =)

5. Bonnie says:

Excellent. De-stressing is important, and those muffins look like a perfect way to do just that. Good luck with the midterms, essays and homework! I’m glad it’s not completely killing you. That photo makes me smile, you both look so happy!

6. Alison Nicole says:

you are adorable! good luck with midterms and essays and such! i know you will do well!

7. Cody says:

Chili sounds so so good right now.

8. aTxVegn says:

Chili and cornbread – yum! Good luck on midterms!

9. Veghead says:

You are SO cute. 🙂 Those muffins look really awesome!!!

10. Traci Anne says:

Awwww, good luck! I can’t wait to make Wally’s chili 🙂

11. mustardseed says:

I emphasis how pretty you are again.

Ah I remember how happy I was when I found out oreos were vegan! They’re like a universal key ingredient in deserts! Before that I thought being vegan was going to be so tough.

I love Isa’s sunny corn muffins, they rock! But I haven’t made these much cause I was scared of 1/2 a cup of oil in just 12 muffins.

12. Melody Polakow says:

Sounds like a great balance… I’m sure that delicious food fueled your brain and the fun time with friends gave you a nice break..

Good luck!

13. Lizzy says:

That chili looks and sounds delicious. And I’ve always wanted to try corn muffins!

Hopefully college isn’t too stressful! At least you have the best food and great friends to give you the enrgy you need =)

14. Jenny says:

I. Love. Corn. Muffins! Or corn bread, or anything baked and corny! Of course, chili is the perfect sidekick!

15. Ricki says:

I love corn muffins (they’re so versatile–either sweet OR savory!), and the combo of those plus chili sounds perfect for studying/de-stressing. Good luck on the midterms. I can relate, from the other side, at least–all the marking!! 😉

Thanks, too, for your comment on my blog–it is much appreciated!

16. Jennifer says:

Nice way to destress! Mmmm chili and corn muffins.

Good luck with all your homework and tests!

17. Veg-a-Nut says:

I love chili! My left overs I turn into goulash, but adding some ww pasta and corn. So good anytime of the year. Those corn muffins looks great!

18. Sophie says:

what a lovely picture!! Two happy beautiful vegans (or your friend isn’t?)!!!
    I do believe being vegan changes our body image and makes us seem so much more at ease with our body!

19. Ruby Red Vegan says:

I was highly amused by your story about eating Ethiopian with your dad! You’re lucky you have a raging metabolism. 🙂 I’ve been dreaming about Ethiopian food ever since dinner on Friday, and I’ll definitely be going back soon. It’s so fun to eat from a communal plate, but I want to follow your example and order a big old combo plate for myself!

I actually used to drink decaf 100% of the time, but I became more lenient and then got myself semi-addicted to caffeine over the past couple of months. A fully-caffeinated latte just makes me feel so good and happy! I can see why you say caffeine gets to you, and I know it’s not very healthy…
    So I just have a little every day and try to take care of myself as best I can in other ways!

20. Theresa says:

Midterms? Seriously?! It seems so early in the year. Wasn’t new year’s eve, like, last weekend or something?

Anyways, it looks like you de-stressed in the best way possible. I think corn bread/muffins is my ultimate comfort food. Especially warm from the oven.