Easter– Alternative Ideas to Dyeing Eggs

I first became vegan around Eastertime. (I gave up dairy products for Lent that year) As someone who enjoys being creative, I very much missed the tradition of dyeing Easter eggs. Therefore, when Easter came around the next year, I was determined to find a way in which I, too, could partake in the Easter festivities.

For those of you who miss Easter egg-dyeing like I did, or if you just want to have some extra fun this year, here’s a list of some great Easter activities that are cruelty-free:

Alternatives to Dyeing Eggs:

• Make sugar cookies, such as my Healthy Sugar Cookies, and decorate them instead of decorating eggs. Sugar cookies taste better than eggs anyway!
  • Make Easter greeting cards, and bring them to a local nursing home. I’ve done this for two years in a row now, and the residents really appreciate it.
  • Bake and decorate a cake—or cupcakes.
  • Use plastic “eggs” and create a scavenger hunt for a little kid, putting clues in the eggs. Or, persuade someone to make a scavenger hunt for you!
  • Hide plastic eggs around the house (or, if you don’t like the symbolism of eggs, use something else—I found plastic carrots this year!). Set up a contest for children to see who can find the most “eggs”. Or, have someone else hide the eggs, so you can participate in the contest. The best part about this idea? If an “egg” is never found and the “hider” forgets where it was hidden, it won’t rot and release a foul odor days later! (And you won’t have to worry that it’ll be found by a household member of the canine variety.)

katie easter

And the best alternative?

Make these: Copycat Reeses Peanut Butter Eggs.

You won’t be sorry! 😉

1. vegan addict says:

crazy, awesome talent! wow. so, you mailed my cookies already, right? because i’d like them by sunday.

2. Rach-ums says:

Cool ideas! I was worried I’d feel left out this year but I’m positive my family would much rather decorate cookies than eggs anyways.

3. Heather says:

oh my goodness those sugar cookies are sooo cute! so is your cake!

4. Romina says:

These are fantastic ideas! I never liked painting eggs growing up… I hated eating eggs, touching eggs, just being around eggs was something I hated.

Sugar cookies!!! Ahhh… Yummy.

And that cake is SO cute! How did you get so talented?

5. Happy Herbivore! says:

LINDSAY LOVES KATIE. Lindsay Loves Katies always beautiful, colorful and cute sugar friends. Lindsay really loves that Katie loves her meatloaf… (I think youre an addict, thats okay, mee too!)

We don’t celebrate Easter but I always love a reason to play with marzapan… so….

6. Rach-ums says:

The vegan white chocolate chips are pretty good, but sadly not as good as the “original”. They are sweeter and not quite as creamy tasting, but I had a craving and they definitely satisfied that! In the future I might take a stab at making homemade white chocolate though.

7. pleasantly plump vegan says:

you are so fun and cool!!!

8. Kumquat Peekapoo says:

Those ideas are great! I especially like the sugar cookie idea.

9. Simple and Divine says:

I totally second Vegan Addict…I’m in philadelphia and WILL pay 🙂 I totally empathize with your loving to decorate cookies! It’s SO satisfying, especially when you get to eat them 🙂 LOVE these beauties!

10. Bianca says:

Great ideas! I do miss dying eggs. And strangely, I never thought about decorating egg-shaped cookies. I may not have time to do it this year (got a busy weekend). But I’ll file that idea away for next!

My friends and I are having a plastic egg hunt on Saturday though. We get cool grown-up prizes…like candles and lotions and stuff. We just put numbers in each “egg” so we know who gets what.

11. Vicki's Vegan Vice says:

Your cookies & cakes are always super CUTE!! I’m up to my ears in paper mache eggs — like a little Easter pinata. Being vegan certainly doesn’t crimp your creative side ~ Happy Easter!! 🙂

12. Whaling Station Believer says:

first of all, your cookies look amazing!! and secondly, you have such a kind heart! Your list of egg alternatives are just great.
    I always feel good after reading your blog…
    merci!

13. Cody says:

Eggless egg-shaped cookies. So funny.

I plan to make some myself tomorrow. I wish I could come up with another alternative to dying eggs, though… as making and decorating cookies is an every-holiday event for me.

14. Mihl says:

These are really great ideas, I like the sugar cookies very much! And the cake 🙂

15. Vegan Stiletto says:

oh wow the sugar cookies look delicious! thanks for the inspiration!

16. Jenny says:

Love your decorated cakes and cookies! My mom (who is omni) actually started doing sugar cookies a few years ago because my niece who lives with her does not like eggs. So, I think I will be stealing both her and your ideas! Thanks!

17. Rural Vegan says:

I don’t know anyone in their right mind who would rather have old, boiled eggs instead of those amazing cookies or cupcakes. As usual, I am humbled by your decorating skills!

18. Jennifer says:

What fun ideas! And you don’t have to be cruel (and gross) by dyeing eggs and eating them. So creative.

Those cookies! Girl, you are awesome at cookie decorating, you should run a vegan bakery.

THAT CAKE IS SO CUTE! Now, I really second what I said above about the bakery.

19. pavotrouge says:

I love your cute bunny cake!

20. Amy says:

I know the cookies in the pictures are a year old, but I’d still eat ’em! And don’t forget vegan chocolate bunnies!