Spiral Diner!

Fort Worth, Texas (a.k.a. “Cowtown”) is a city known for its western heritage. Rodeos, Stockyards, Cattle Drives– sounds like a vegan nightmare, huh? So it’s quite a surprise to discover that Fort Worth is also the home of VegNews Magazine’s “Restaurant of the Year” for 2007.

The Spiral Diner is a 100% vegan diner and bakery that attracts vegetarians and omnivores alike with its expansive– and mostly organic– menu. What’s more, Spiral is committed to the environment. They use environmentally-friendly paper products and take-out containers, recycle as much as possible, and donate excess food to local shelters. Plus, their menu states, “Our goal is not to make tons of profit; it is to provide the community with tasty vegan food at a reasonable cost. Our goal is also to pay everyone working at Spiral a decent wage. We will never charge more than we absolutely have to in order to pay the bills.” But the most important part? Their food is darn tasty!

After a long day of shopping in Fort Worth last weekend, my mom, my aunt, my very-eager cousins, and I drove over to Spiral for a delicious vegan dinner. We started out with two appetizers– chips and salsa (the boys commandeered this appetizer!) and the hummus plate. I wasn’t a huge fan of the lemony hummus, but the lemon flavor was exactly the reason my mom loved it. To each’s own, I guess.

All three kids opted for the spaghetti and soy meatballs (and each kid ate ALL his/her meatballs!), and my aunt ordered (and savored) the pasta primavera. These little cuties also thoroughly enjoyed three thick, creamy soy chocolate milkshakes, topped with a generous squirt of Soyatoo.

My mom and I also split a chocolate milkshake. Well, actually, I ordered it. But Mommy Dearest took one sip, and that was the end of MY milkshake! She drank almost half of it!

My only complaint with the dinner was that they were out of seitan, so I couldn’t order the Parmigiana wrap I’d wanted. But I ended up with a great meal anyway– the Tofu Broccoli Bowl, with Spiral’s famous ranch, and soy meatballs subbed for the tofu.

And my mom ordered her favorite– the BLT sandwich, which comes toasted, with lettuce, tomato, vegan mayo, and bacon bits. Did you know that bacon bits (such as BacOs brand or Fronteir brand) are actually vegan?! It’s true! There’s also potato salad in the picture, but it’s not worth mentioning.

It was still light outside when we got home from Spiral, so I took the boys rollerblading. (Wow, they can really skate fast!) Our Spiral meals must’ve given us a lot of energy, because we stayed out blading for over an hour!

The Spiral Diner is an amazing place. In fact, so many people think this that there was enough demand for them to recently open a SECOND Spiral location– in Dallas! So if you’re ever in the Fort Worth OR Dallas area, be sure to hit up Spiral Diner. And don’t hesitate to take your omni friends/family along. My cousins, aunt, and mother can attest to the fact that omnivores love this place too!

Post categorized here: My Vegan Restaurant Posts.

Tags:

1. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Look at all that vegan goodness! This was just so much fun to read. It’s great to hear that vegan food made your little cousins so happy – so often kids are the ones with the most discriminating taste buds and they will just only eat certain things!

That’s it, I’m stopping at Spiral once the school year is over! (I actually figured out that it’s really close to the highway my dad uses to drive me home from college!!) And a road trip to Portland AND Seattle would be so amazing! Since Seattle’s supposed to be the coffee capital of the world, I’m pretty sure I’d love it. I second the vegan road trip idea! =) !!

2. The Real Evolution says:

Bac-Os may be vegan but they are loaded with trans fat, preservatives, and food coloring. Try these organic ones: http://www.frontiercoop.com/dspCmnPrd.php?ct=spfavbac

Love your blog!

3. loveofoats says:

Wow what a cool restaurant & I LOVE their motto! You don’t hear of too many restaurants preaching that way of thinking :) Your meal looks delicious & looks like you had fun, too!

4. Alison Nicole says:

Looks amazing!! I am lucky enough to live in Eugene where the vegan food choices are endless and delicious! But it’s always great to know a veg-friendly place in case I make it over to your neck of the woods!

5. Paulina says:

I want to go to Spiral Diner now! I’ve been begging my dad to take me with him to Ft. Worth since he goes there often for work. Oh well…maybe one day I’ll get to go!

6. Jenny says:

Thanks for the review! I can’t wait to go and visit there next Monday!

7. Heather says:

Looks like you had a great time! I wish I had a place like that near my home.

8. Kumquat Peekapoo says:

That sounds like a wonderful place! I’ve never been to Texas, but I might have to find an excuse to go so I can give Spiral a try!

9. Simple and Divine says:

Your broccoli and meatball bowl is RIGHT up my ally girl! Ever since I was little I’ve ADOrED broccoli and it has a sweet comforting taste to me…My fave=par steamed! Simple and Perfect! and I loove putting steamed broccoli on my smartdeli tofu bologna sandwiches with nayonaise! (My friends think I’m WACKO for it)

I need to go to this diner asap! ALSO, Ive been meaning to ask your lovely self if you’ve been to Govinda’s on South Street yet??? I was hoping you could give me a review because I’m DYING to go! Loved the adorable post! Enjoy the rest of your evening love!

10. Romina says:

Ahh I’m so jealous! Isn’t it crazy how somewhere that is called “cowtown” can have such amazing vegan food?

11. stonielove says:

wow, so many vegan goodies! it’s awesome that you had a great time with your family!

12. ~randi~ says:

next time i’m in Dallas I will definitely try this place! Thanks for the recommendation

I love that your little cousins are getting introduced to good vegan food at a young age!

13. bean_mix says:

awww your cousins are so cute!
    I wish I had young cousins to Rollerblade with, but I’m the youngest in my whole family >.<
    Your dinner made me crave broccoli sooo badly

14. Lizzy says:

Ohh I just looked at their menu… I wish I could go there!!! We need more restaurants with a motto like theirs!

15. shellyfish says:

I’d love to have a place like that near by! I just think it’s so neat that you could enjoy such a wonderful vegan meal with your family…not every family would have looked as enthusiastic! :)

16. Jennifer says:

Spiral Diner sounds fantastic!

I love that your cousins are so open to vegan food.

And that chocolate milkshake looks bigger than the you! Wow, what a milkshake!

I’ll have to remember these places when I go visit my family in Houston.

17. Mihl says:

Oh, please send some food!

18. Happy Herbivore! says:

vegan chocolate milkshake? come to happy herbivore!!!!!!!

19. Jess - The Domestic Vegan says:

That all looks fantastic! You seem like the greatest cousin! How cute of you guys to go rollerblading.

20. Alice (in Veganland) says:

I am SO jealous. I could eat every single thing in this post right now!
    I think your cousins think you’re cool and that’s why they love vegan food (well, and because it’s tasty!)