Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Fabulous Fifties

Honestly, who doesn’t enjoy a theme party? It’s so exciting to get dressed up and pretend to be someone else… in some other place… at some other time. A few weeks ago, my family was invited to a friend’s 50s-themed 50th birthday party. The hosts went ALL out; they even rented a juke box!

Look at the creative, edible decorations!

50s family :)

I contributed maple pecan bars to the party. The bars don’t exactly have anything to do with the 50s theme… but no one seemed to care as they gobbled these bars up!

Here’s what I did to make the bars: First I whipped up some pecan pie filling. Then, instead of putting the filling in a pie crust, I put it on top of a shortbread crust and baked it in bar form, not pie form.

1. Irbas says:

yum those look really good!

do you have a good oatmeal raisin cookie recipe? please share if you do!

love the outfits- nice 50’s style!

2. Alice (in Veganland) says:

Lovely theme party! the maple pecan bars look so good… I want to bake something to bring this weekend to my boyfriend’s father’s birthday but cannot decide what to do! I don’t have so much time neither… It’s a shame that I cannot find pecans that easily.

3. erica says:

oh man, those pecan bars look so good!

4. Bianca says:

What a cute idea?! I love the toy car/pretzel holder. And your bars look yummy. I love me some pecan pie, but shortbread crust sounds amazing!

5. Cassandra says:

Your dad and mine could be twins!

I’ve never been to a theme party. We should have a veggie party with all the vegan bloggers. ;D And like, dress up as carrots and broccoli. Omgomgomg. I’m dead serious now. XD

6. Jennifer says:

How fun! You all look so cute!

And those pecan bars look heavenly.

7. Simple and Divine says:

I think we were separated at birth! I am a theme-party lover all the way, especially with decades! 20’s, 40’s, 50’s, 60’s, 80’s, you name it. I love them! And your bars look amazing! Pecan Pie is one of the most decadent desserts and one of the best! Lucky party goers! Lol, Thanks for the sweet comment too. You did not offend me by any means, don’t worry! I loved your post and am so glad that I read it. It’s important to get people to act! :)

Anyways, Hope you’re having a lovely day! Love to the pups from Boo and I <3

8. jess (of Get Sconed!) says:

pretzel car! love it! very creative.

and the bars look yum – where’s the recipe from?

9. ChickPea says:

Haha–LOVE the pretzels in the convertible!
    I wish my family would eat my baked goods–as soon as I tell them they’re vegan, they refuse to try them. Lame, huh? How did you get your family to start sampling your delicious desserts?

10. Irbas says:

thank you so much! that is exactly the recipe i was looking for!!!!!!! can’t wait to make them this weekend!

11. Romina says:

That’s such a cute idea!!

12. Kumquat Peekapoo says:

What fun! Your family looks adorable, and the pecan bars look super yummy.

13. pavotrouge says:

I’d love to make maple pecan bars… but both main ingredients cost a fortune here T_T

14. Cassandra says:

Wow! That’s such a compliment coming from you. 😀 I started cooking at a young age and I’ve always been active in the kitchen by my moms side. I owe any culinary skills I have to her. =) I have to admit, though, when I first became vegan I was living off nothing but premade meals and organic junk food (yeah, ’cause when it’s organic, that makes it healthy? LOL). It was only when I started this blog that I got the inspiration to start eating homecooked meals. =)

Of course you can be broccoli! But I want to be the pea. :) Hehe, I just really want to dress up as a big green ball for some reason. xD That would totally fit my personality.
    I knowww! D: It really gets me down when I realize that we will likely all just be online bloggers together forever (that didn’t mean to sound all corny together forever-ish). Imagine what we could create if we all got together though!

15. aTxVegn says:

Nice costumes and great looking bars!

16. Ruby Red Vegan says:

That pretzel car is really nifty! Those maple pecan bars look like the maple pecan sticky blondies in Eat, Drink & Be Vegan… And if they tasted anything like them, Wow! I bet they were great. And I still think you seem to be going to parties all the time – be it a charity party, friends party, or family party. Miss Popular!

17. Betsy says:

i love love LOVE pecan pie. my grandmother used to make it allll the time. i can’t wait to make a vegan version!

18. Astra Libris says:

Oh my gosh, pecan pie filling and shortbread cookie sounds incredible incredible incredible… Actually, it’s the best idea I’ve heard in a long time. Wow. Seriously. Yum!!

19. loveofoats says:

Looks really good! I made something similar before except I put the Karo & Pecans on top of refrigerated biscuts… Not exactly healthy but delish!

20. Jess - The Domestic Vegan says:

How cute is your family?! That party sounds so fun!

21. chandra says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE themed parties!!! Or any event where I can dress in “costume” :) For my birthday I plan to do either roller disco or “prom night” haha

Oh, and the pecan bars look yummy too. :)

22. Melody Polakow says:

Looks like so much fun.. and your pecan bars are awesome!

I agree so much with your below post about shelter dogs…. it really just infuriates me that people breed dogs when there are SO MANY dogs that are killed every single day that are desperate for homes and rescues for specific breeds.

23. vegan addict says:

i’m a wallflower at parties, but i am sneaky too, and i would snatch up all the tasty food while everybody else is being chatty. if there is a veggie themed party for all of us, i call asparagus. no wait, parsnip…no, a portobello…glad you had fun!

24. Cody says:

I’d love to have a theme party. My wedding would be ’40s or Mad Hatter tea party if I thought anyone would even appreciate it. (The wouldn’t.)

I demand a Mad Hatter tea party at some point in my life, though.

25. Alex says:

Chocolate vegan is a sensual pleasure in itself, existing in the same world .For myself, I can enjoy the mouth watering pleasure of chocolate… entirely by myself. Furtiveness makes it better.

“I love chocolate. Have you ever seen a chocolate fountain? It is wonderful! Check this out..”

26. Melisser; the Urban Housewife says:

I can’t blame them for happily devouring the bars, they look delicious!

27. Mihl says:

Great that your whole family went!

Pecan bars go well with every party, I think.

28. Ricki says:

Happy to oblige with a comment–how could anyone resist those pecan bars?! The 50s family looked even cuter than those guys in Happy Days. 😉

29. keeta says:

Those bars look delectable!

I, too, love a good theme party. 😀

30. Lizzy says:

What a fun party! And your bars look divine, mhhh!

And I am proud to announce that I HAD PECANS FOR THE FIRST TIME YESTERDAY! I think they taste pretty much like walnuts though =p

31. Cookiemouse says:

For a 50’s theme party I’d come as Johnny Cash. Like the pecan bars. In the fifties they had espresso bars, but I was too young to go in one.

32. Happy Herbivore! says:

okay i’m SO LAME but I’m going crazy over the multi-colored butterfly napkin!! and you guys look so great all 50s-tastic!

& the pecan bars – ugh can I have one?

33. Vegan_Noodle says:

Swell party CCV! And super swell pecan bars. You look so cute with your 50s inspired headband!

34. Cassandra says:

Pffft, such typical vegetable choices! Why not some bok choy? Yeah, yeah, it’s green. But we can narrow down our party to be an asian vegan vegetable party. xD

35. Bonnie says:

Those bars look delicious and I’d love to try them… the party sounds like a lot of fun, too :) It’s a good idea to always bring yummy vegan baked goods!

36. Mel says:

Yum, yum! Everything looks great! I love the 50’s theme!