Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Girl meets Grill

A few years ago, at a 4th-of-July barbecue, one neighbor brought a massive container of vegetables for the grill. The veggies were bathed in a yellow sauce that I glumly took to be butter.

Luckily, I was wrong. The yellow sauce was actually a mustard marinade, which meant that the veggies were suitable for vegans. Ever since the party, my family has been making those very same grilled vegetables at least once a week because they taste so good! And now you can make them too!

Girl-Meets-Grill Veggies

(I’m sure you’d get great results with other veggies, but what follows are my favorites)

-Asparagus spears

-Slices of bell peppers

-Slices of zucchini (sliced as shown in the photos)

-Dijon mustard (I use Whole Foods 365 Organic Dijon)

-optional oil

Put all the veggies in a big plastic bag or a container with a liberal amount of mustard (and a little oil, if desired). Shake the bag/container to evenly distribute the mustard among the vegetables. Grill the vegetables on a barbecue grill (preferred method) or on a George Foreman-type grill, turning them 1/2-way through so that both sides cook evenly. Make extra, as these babies go quickly!

1. Jess - The Domestic Vegan says:

I loooove grilled veggies, but I’ve never thought of putting mustard on them! I’ll definitely be trying this. Thank you! :)

2. Jennifer says:

Mustard marinated grilled veggies?! I want some! I love the idea of using a mustard marinade, how tasty.

3. Ricki says:

Sounds like a great combination–and just in time, as our bar b q is about to be released from winter storage!

4. loveofoats says:

I LOVE grilled veggies either on the foreman or out on the grill, but we always rely so heavily on just plain olive oil and seasoning… being that I LOOOOOOVE mustard, this will definitely make its way into my rotation 😉 What a great idea!

5. ~randi~ says:

LOVE this idea. I never thought to put dijon mustard on veggies before! I will definitely do this next time I have to go to a BBQ! Thanks Katie!

6. Bianca says:

What a great idea! Did you use Dijion mustard or plain old regular mustard? Either way, I’m sure they were great. It got suddenly cold again here this weekend (temps in the 50s), but it’ll be grill weather soon!!!

7. Theresa says:

Those look and sound really good, but I can see how you would think that sauce was butter… sure looks buttery to me!

8. aTxVegn says:

Chase and I can’t wait to get on the grill again. I have a brand new platter just waiting for a big batch of veggies!

9. linds says:

oh my goodness these look delicious…definitely adding them to the ‘to cook’ list!

10. funwithyourfood says:

I agree about grilled veggies being fantastic. It’s my favorite way to eat summer squash.
    People see my George Foreman grill and never know what I use it for… veggies, DUH :)

11. Alice (in Veganland) says:

This is great! thanks so much! my boyfriend’s family always grills in summer, and I never manage to get my veggies to be tasty enough…

12. Lizzy says:

Ohh this sounds fantastic! I’ll definitely make this tonight =D I got a grill pan this weekend and have yet to use it.

13. Liz² says:

okay, I’m in love with this idea!! I never thought you could do that with mustard, and it’s my faaaavourite condiment! yay, I’m SO doing this. 😮

14. Kumquat Peekapoo says:

And here I was about to get rid of my George Forman grill! Thanks for the recipe.

It’s really neat that you come from such a musical family. Mine is as well. My granny was a classical pianist, and I have a few relatives who play in orchestras. Growing up, I was “required” to learn to play the piano and the oboe. Do you play anything?

15. Happy Herbivore! says:

I want some!

16. lighterportions says:

Oh my gosh. Those look SO good. I can’t wait to try it! Mustard and veggies so so well together.

17. arimcg says:

mmm…looks amazing. i’ll eat just about anything with mustard on it.

18. russ says:

just as soon as its bbq weather…!

19. Vegan_Noodle says:

Mustard is really the perfect condiment. So glad it’s grilling season again!

20. Sally Parrott Ashbrook says:

Yum–I’m glad to have found this recipe, because I was just wondering what to include in our grill food for an upcoming trip. Thanks!

21. Anti says:

P.s i love that you eat everything with chopsticks..i do the same..and my family thinks i am insane :)