Cookies O’clock

Any time is a good time for cookies! And everyone knows that the BEST cookies are made by grandmothers. So here is a veganized version of one of my great-grandma’s recipes, known as Oatmeal Crinkles. Fresh from the oven, these cookies are moist and delicious (not to mention addictive). Betcha can’t eat just one!

CCK Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup flour
Ener-G egg replacer powder for two eggs
3/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
White sugar (for coating)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Beat the first three ingredients, then add the flour, baking soda, and salt and beat again. Stir in the oats, then add the egg replacer. Shape tablespoon amounts into balls, and roll them in a bowl of white sugar (to coat). Place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Store extra in a tight container. Bake for ten minutes.

Tags:

1. poopiebitch says:

Yum, cookies! You’re right, it’s ALWAYS cookie time!

You should definitely try piping on top of your cupcakes – I usually feel like a cheater because it’s so easy… it doesn’t take much effort at all! And I’ve seen how lovely your decorated goodies come out – they are all beautiful!

2. Caitlin says:

Yum! Those look delicious!
    What is salad oil?

3. Jenny says:

I LOVE oatmeal cookies!! Your Grandma’s recipe looks great!

4. Kimberly says:

What a great, easy recipe! And since these cookies are clearly a health food (due to the whole-grain oaty goodness), who needs to eat just one?? 😉

I’m thinking they would be just awesome with a healthy dose of toasted walnuts mixed in. Mmm.

5. Ricki says:

I’ve been looking for a good vegan oatmeal cookie. . .these look terrific. I wonder how Sucanat would work instead of brown sugar?

6. romin says:

I love cookie scoops!
    I used to work at a cookie shop and I got so many calluses, but it makes life so much easier.
    And I must agree, grandmothers ALWAYS have the best recipes!

7. herbstsonne says:

MMMM! Those look great!

8. Vegan_Noodle says:

Don’t grandma’s just have the best cookie recipes? Why is that? Those sound nummy.

9. Bianca says:

I think it’s cute how grandma recipes always call for salad oil…guess that’s just what they used to call it. Those look totally yummy! I love oatmeal anything!

10. Elizabeth says:

You’re from Texas too!?

I’ve wanted to find a fellow veggie blogger from Texas. I saw your comment on Kath’s site and you’re right-the weather in Texas has been weird. Today it was pretty cold for a Texas spring. o_O

11. Vegyogini says:

Wow, it’s so cool that you know your great-grandma! The cookies look great and I’m going to give them a shot because I have lots of people in my life who love oatmeal cookies. I recently tested HH’s (yay) and those were great, too. You can never have too many cookie recipes under your belt. 😉 BTW, I hope you’re proud of all the firsts I posted about today. 🙂

12. Emma says:

They look delicious! Just a little qustion though- what is salad oil?

13. Cecilia says:

Hey Katie!

You wouldn’t believe what I discovered today at a local supermarket (Woolworths for Aussies out there). I was just randomly browsing around and guess what I found?!! “Tofutti Better than Cream Cheese”!!!! I was literally jumping up and for joy (a bit like you seeing the Go Vegan sign I guess), since WHEN did Tofutti hit our Aussie land shelves?!! Oh! I can’t wait to try it out NOW…but sadly, I didn’t buy yet, not because of the price (it was about AU$3.90) but because the waiting line was just toooo long and I’m in no mood for waiting 😉 … WAIT, that’s NOT it! There’s more vegan food spotting!! I was just about to go home when I walked past this health food store, so I popped in and asked whether they stock ‘nutritional yeast’ – at first the lady said no but then she took me to the yeast area just to make sure … I spotted a box of savoury yeast flakes on the shelves…picked up the box and read …”vegan…substitute for cheese…”… OMG! I couldn’t believe my eyes! At last, I found my YEAST! – again, I was laughing n giggling to myself like a maniac – I swear the lady thinks that I’m weird but again I didn’t buy it – this time it’s because of the price, it costs around AUS$8.00 for a 200g product. Is that expensive? I was thinking of shopping around more to find the best price – yea I’m a cheapo 🙂

Oh btw what’s TVP? And what does carob powder taste like – does it taste like cocoa powder? Man, I’m such a vegan-noob! Thanks for reading this junk…have a great day!!! 🙂

14. bean_mix says:

YUUUUUUUUUUUM!
    Vegan oat crinkles is such a cute name, it reminds me of when an old person smiles, they go all crinkly!

15. loveofoats says:

these are so cute! crinkles – love the name!

16. Alice (in Veganland) says:

Is it cookies O’clock already? great!
    they look so nice and tasty (I love their surface!)

17. Betsy says:

yum yum YUM!!! love oatmeal cookies soo much. can’t wait to try these!

18. vegan addict says:

as a fellow cookie addict, i must agree, cookies ’round the clock! i am adding these to my recipe box of cookies! thanks!

19. Bonnie says:

Ooo that looks like such a delicious recipe that’s simple to make, too… way to go veganizing your great-grandmother’s cookie recipe! Awesome.
    And thank you for the nice comment on my blog, you’re so kind! I actually did have pasta with the cheezy sauce from Vegamicon today, so that’s getting pretty close to mac&cheese… 🙂

20. Jennifer says:

Cookies are good at any time of day in my book. I love that you veganized your grandmother’s recipe, that’s so cool.

They look and sound fantastic, I bet I COULDN’T eat just one. 🙂