Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Help those in need

I’ll resume my regular posting tomorrow, but this is too important an issue for me to not take time and address it. (I posted this yesterday, but I’ve updated the post, so I’m reposting.)

I want to call attention to the horrendous cyclone that recently hit Myanmar (commonly known by its former name, Burma). Reports are saying that over 10,000 people are feared dead… and that doesn’t even begin to get into the people who are going to be left homeless from this disaster.

***UPDATE*** Now the death toll is up past 100,000. Remember, that’s 100,000 PEOPLE. It’s NOT just a statistic!

***UPDATE*** The death toll is now at 22,000 people. I know that when the number of casualties gets to be this large, it’s hard to remember that we’re talking about real people here, with real lives (Like the saying goes, “One death is a tragedy. One thousand deaths is a statistic.”) But, to put it in perspective, 22,000 people is the entire population of the town in which I live! And over 1 million more people are going to be left homeless, and 41,000 are still missing. Please keep the people of Myanmar in your prayers and/or thoughts.

I’m providing a link below, if you want to donate; 100% of the donation goes to the disaster relief (I’ve been involved with the hunger site before, and thus know them to be a reputable charity).

And here’s an article from MSN that links to many more groups that are accepting donations:

As I said earlier, I’ll be back tomorrow with a more uplifting post. I’ll also visit all of your blogs tomorrow. For now, though, I am going to go enjoy the company of my family and friends and think about everything I have for which I should be grateful.

1. Bianca says:

Oh man. I hadn’t even heard about that! That’s awful! 10,000 people?!

2. Jennifer says:

It’s really had what happened in Burma!

Natural disasters seem to be occuring much more often and are more intense. And sadly, it is often those in the Third World who experience all this stuff due to their geographic location. :-(

You are too sweet bringing this to everyone’s attention. Those people over there really need us right now. (Also, people in Haiti really need emergency food aid, it’s getting desperate. There are so many issues to tackle!)

You have such a kind heart Katie, thanks so much for letting other people know about it. I had heard about it, but not the number feared dead. :-(

3. loveofoats says:

Wow – that is awful and truly sad:( I hadn’t even heard about this yet…

4. Caitlin says:

This is such a horrible situation…thanks for blogging about it and for posting the link.

5. Mihl says:

It’s absolutely terrible what happened in Burma. They don’t even know how many people are dead /missing because they can’t get to all the places!
    Thank you for the link!

6. healthyceliac says:

Thank you so much for posting this. I’ve been wanting to donate somewhere, but I wasn’t sure which places were credible.
    And, congrats to you for drawing more attention to such an important issues. Sometimes, I think that we get so wrapped up in our worlds that we forget how many people have it so much worse than us. It’s times like this where it’s so important for us to remember.

7. Lizzy says:

I was shocked when I heard that! So many people… =(
    Makes you really cherish everything you have (as far as that’s possible when you face the fate of so many innocent people).

I think it’s great and important that you posted this! You have such a big heart, I wish more people out there would care as much as you do!

8. Sheltie Girl says:

Thank you for sharing this information. I had heard the news about the cyclone, but I didn’t know about the extent of the devastation.

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

9. shellyfish says:

Good for you for posting for others! I was talking to a friend in the states via phone today and she was relatively unaware of the extent of the horror. I had to stop watching the news yesterday because it was making me so, so sad. These poor people, their country has been in turmoil all year…
    If we all just give a little, it adds up!

10. Vicki's Vegan Vice says:

what a horrible devastating tragedy. thank you for bringing this to our attention.

11. Theresa says:

The worst part about this natural disaster is the manmade (not womanmade!) disasters that are going along with it. The military junta is making it EXTREMELY difficult for foreign aid workers to get in and do anything, so even if people donate heaps of money, time, and stuff the ‘government’ is complicating things.

This has been the very first news story every night here in Australia. Funny, it doesn’t sound like it’s been big news over in the US.

12. Coppe says:

What’s worse is that 22,000 people is the death toll publicised by the Burmese government.

Independent sources put it closer to 100,000 people.

I also read that the government had been warned of the cyclone by India, but failed to take major precautions. It’s very depressing. :(

13. Ruby Red Vegan says:

wow, how horrible! this is the first i’ve heard of it too. thanks for reminding us that these numbers aren’t just statistics – they are lives. you’re so caring to have posted this. thanks. :)

14. Cookiemouse says:

Thanks for posting this. The first US aid flights have now reached Burma after some tricky negotiations. An estimated 1.5 millions lives are at risk, if help does not get there soon.

15. Happy Herbivore! says:

that man people? wow. thanks for informing me. I need to go donate food or something