Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Sisters by Chance. Friends by Choice.

My sister and I haven’t always been the best of friends. Poor girl; when I was two, I used to bite her! (Not very vegan of me!) As young teens, our relationship wasn’t much better. Perhaps it’s the fact that we’re so close in age. But, thankfully, we’ve matured and have become great friends. When sister dearest ventured off to college, I even discovered that I missed her!

For my sister’s summer homecoming (she attends school in Boston), I baked one of her favorite flavors of cake– strawberry.

I’m naked! Please clothe me!
The finished cake, all decked out in fondant.

Unfortunately, the little sister didn’t make it home until 1:30AM (darn you, plane delays!). Therefore, I was sound asleep when she walked in the door… but apparently my family had a feast while I slept, because this is the sight to which I awoke the next morning:

Notice, they left the girl intact. Nobody wanted to be the one to eat her head!

Speaking of the “chocolate-covered little sister,” I think she needs a new name… But she says that her favorite food is mashed potatoes, so this presents a problem. Mashed-Potato Sister?? 😕
And just in case you were wondering– No, I do not still bite my sister. I know that’s what has been on your minds the entire time you were reading this post.

1. romina says:

Aww I wish my sister and I were friends!

That cake is so cute!! And pink!!! =) I’m surprised it wasn’t all gone when you woke up. 😉

2. talieworld says:

That cake is so adorable katie!

3. Ricki says:

That is the cutest cake ever! Love it. And with 2 sisters, I can relate. . . we tend to go through “close” and “less close” phases. Maybe I need to bake more cakes for my sisters!

4. radioactivegan says:

How sweet of you to make that cute cake for your sister. If you ever need another sister, I’m available 🙂 Of course, I would bake you some vegan cakes, too. Reciprocity, you know.

5. Paulina says:

Awww, how nice of you to make a cake for you sister! Unfortunately, my sister and I don’t have such a good relationship but I wish with all my heart that someday we will 🙂

6. Traci Anne says:

So. Darn. Cute.

I want a pink cake for my birthday!!

7. Alice (in Veganland) says:

You sure have decorating skills! I wish I had a sister…

I’m so glad you liked the songs! Spanish music is rather easy: people like it to be a little light, easy to sing, and such things!

And no, being vegan in Spain is NOT easy, even if you speak the language, because they don’t understand it. It’s a matter of knowing what’s vegan and sticking to it. 80% of the times I ask the waiter to leave something off a dish, they just forget it…

8. oatmeal says:

Glad you and your sister are now close 😀 I laughed when I read that you used to bite her XD

And you did a great job decorating the cake! So cute! Judging from the huge chunk of eaten cake–your family must have loved it!

9. Emma says:

Well done on the fab grades- I knew you’d ace them! Unfortunately I have to wait months for my results once I have finished my exams : (

That cake is absolutely adorable! It looks so pretty- and seriously yummy too! It must have been a lovely surprise for your sister when she arrived home! xx

10. Lisa J. says:

And just in case you were wondering– No, I do not still bite my sister.

Phew! I was wondering about that!! LOL!

My brother & I have always been great friends. I can’t imagine it any other way…

11. Danielle says:

Aw, haha. That is such a beautiful cake, you’re so talented! I know what you mean about realizing you miss your siblings. I had the same delayed bonding experience with mine. Thankfully we’re close now and I can’t imagine how we weren’t before 🙂

12. linds says:

We are going to need a LOT of sandwich fuel if this spy mission is going to be successful!! You bring your spy gear bag, I’ll pack the sandwiches 🙂 Do you think you can sneak the rest of that cake out of your house too?? It looks like perfect banana-stealing-back fuel!!!! Your sister can come too then, in case she doesn’t want to be parted from her amazing cake 🙂

13. loveofoats says:

that is the CUTEST cake i have ever seen!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Eric says:

Awesome, that cakes looks great!

15. Melody Polakow says:

What a beautiful cake! You definitely have decorating talent!

Have fun with your sister.. and if you’re ever in Boston to visit her let me know, I’m 45 mins away and you should definitely come for dinner or something!

16. Aly says:

Oh my gosh, that is so adorable!

17. shellyfish says:

Special K, that cake is so adorable! I have never, ever, done such a cute decorating job you master of fondant! I need to get that whole fondant thing figured out…
    Dorky question, but what recipe did you use for the basic cake? I’m looking for a basic sort of birthday cake cake, just plain, that I can add things to (and that rises nicely like yours did!)
    Sisters…I have 4 younger ones (and 1 younger bro). Can’t live with em, can’t bite em, what’s a girl to do? 🙂

18. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Oh my gosh, I used to bit my sister too! Hahaha, you’re right – that’s not too vegan, now, is it? Am I not a vegan if I still bite my sister?

Just kidding! I don’t do that anymore! But last year my sister was still in high school and that’s when we got along the best (because we missed each other). Now we go to the same college, and I’ve found that we don’t get along as well anymore. It’s true that distance makes the heart grow fonder! Closeness makes us see all the flaws, ugh.

I love that the family chopped into the cake while you were sleeping. It’s so purdy!

19. vegan addict says:

First up, congratulations on your grades! Secondly, I used to bite both of my sisters when we were all younger! Yikes…it is comforting to know I wasn’t the only one…! Third, that cake is awesome. The intricate detail, and all the lovely pinkness. It is too bad your family started without you!

20. aTxVegn says:

My sis and I are 10 years apart. In fact, she used to call me mama! We are the best of friends.

Your cake is so cute! You are good to your sister.