Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Forever Young

One year, like many other women, my mom reached an age at which she decided, “That’s it; I don’t want to get any older.”

“From now on,” she announced, “I am going to turn 26 every year.”

That May, my younger sister made her First Holy Communion, and at one of the rehearsals, the nun went around asing all the kids to give their parents’ ages (looking back, none of us can understand why the nun needed to know this information). Little Sister hopped into the car after practice and proudly told my mom, “The nun wanted to know how old you were, but don’t worry—I told her that you are always 26.”

This year, to celebrate another one of my mom’s 26th birthdays, we went to Genghis Grill, which offered my mom a free bowl for her birthday.

Mom and Dad

Chocolate-Covered Katie

1. romina says:

Your mom’s so cute! That reminds me of Samantha from Sex & The City who was 35 forever. Hehe.

Happy Birthday to your mom!! Your dish looks yum-o!

2. Maureen says:

I want to be 18 forever. But that would be too cliche.

I just wanted to let you know that I’m having trouble linking to your site from the comment you left on my food blog. It links me to howtoloseweightonavegandiet.com … instead of the blogspot address. And the .com address doesn’t seem to exist. Did you leave the wrong address or is there some other reason I can’t access the .com blog?

Sorry for the long comment and thanks for adding us to your blogroll!

3. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Ahhh! The way your mom and dad are smiling, you look just like both of them! I still need to try the Genghis in my city – we also have a restaurant like it here called HuHot Mongolian Grill. Maybe there’s one near you too?

And 26! Haha, in a few years you’ll be older than your mom! Try explaining that one to the nun…

4. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Haha – that’s okay, I really don’t think my sister ever tasted good anyway… So I don’t have much desire to bite her anymore.

5. healthyceliac says:

Your mom and dad are too cute!
    Happy birthday to your mom (and it looks like you scored a great meal out of the day, too. Lucky you!).

6. poopiebitch says:

Oh my gosh! Your parents are so cute! I see where you get it from now :) Oh, and I guess that makes me older than your mom!

I will definitely let you know if our plan ever comes to fruition. Are you kidding? You could be the retreat’s professional chocolate consultant! Every good retreat needs one.

7. Ricki says:

Happy Birthday, CCV’s Mom! And I’m sure 26 will be a very good year (however many times you celebrate it). :)

8. loveofoats says:

awwww that is funny… b/c my mom says the same thing, except her number is 29!

9. Danielle says:

Oh moms :) and yours is just adorable! I love birthdays, I love spending time with family, I love healthy out-to-dinner dinners… gosh, I’m so jealous of the celebration ;). Hope you had fun!

10. Erika says:

That’s the most adorable story. Your mother is a beautiful woman and definitely gives all of those other 26 year-olds some serious competition.

P.S. Your dad’s pretty cute too :)
    P.P.S Sorry if that sounds kinda icky.

11. Eric says:

Wow, your parents look young! Your dinner looks good!

12. Sally Parrott Ashbrook says:

Your parents look so happy! And you’re gorgeous. 😀

13. Caitlin says:

Aww, that’s cute. A few years ago my great aunt decided that every year instead of having a birthday she’d have an “un-birthday” and get a year younger instead of a year older. :) Hope your mom had a nice 26th birthday. 😉

14. talieworld says:

Aww your parents always seem so adorable! I hope your mom had a good birthday and that restaurant seems really good as well :)

15. aTxVegn says:

Happy Birthday to your mom! Your folks look fantastic.

Love your broccoli bowl…

16. Vegan On Stage says:

haha htats so funny.. my mom says the same thing! (but shes 25 every year… so your moms older!)

hahah gotta love mommies

17. vegan addict says:

I must agree with previous comments, your parents are beautiful…and you do look just like them! Happiest Birthday wishes to your mom. Oh, and the story about your sister and the nun is funny!

18. kindkitchen says:

Aww Happy Birthday to your momma! She still looks 26 :]

19. Alice (in Veganland) says:

I’m turning 26 this year, so I guess it will be time to stop getting older!
    Happy birthday to your mother, and your bowl of greens looks delicious!

20. shellyfish says:

Happy Birthday To Your Mom! Your family always looks so darn happy! I love that! And thanks for the heads up on the cupcake/cake batter, Special K! I’ll try using that & see how it turns out… :)

21. pleasantly plump vegan says:

ah, yr mom is so pretty! here’s to being 26 forever! that was a good year for me.

22. Jennifer says:

Hahaha! Brett just turned 29 and he says he will no longer have anymore birthdays!

Your mom is beautiful! Are you sure she’s NOT 26? 😉

I’ve always thought the perfect age is 25, old enough to be taken serioulsy, young enough to still be goofy. I got 2 years, then I guess I won’t have birthdays anymore either!

23. Jenny says:

My gosh, that’s an enormous bowl of goodness!

Happy 26th birthday to your mom! I can see your resemblence to her!

24. Bianca says:

Happy 26th Birthday CCV’s mom! And btw, you totally look like both your parents….

25. lighterportions says:

Haha your mom is too cute, 26 seems like it’d be quite the perfect age to turn year after year!

Your dinner bowl looks amazing too, yum!

26. pavotrouge says:

honestly, I can’t believe how young all of you look!

27. The Vegan Countess says:

I know a woman who started calling her age spots freckles and her white hairs sparkle-y.

28. Happy Herbivore! says:

happy birthday CCV mom!

I am 26, will be 27 this year. I cannot wait to be older than your mom ;P

29. Kumquat Peekapoo says:

That’s very sweet. My Grandfather always added the digits of his age together, so at the moment he’s 14.

I’ve been away (in spirit) for awhile, but it was nice to catch up with your blog today; every post makes me smile :)

30. eleanor says:

i only have 2 days before i get my wisdom teeth out!

31. lauren says:

you are so sweet!

32. Zach Sonnier says:

Happy Birthday to your Mom! Sounds like a delicious celebration! I agree with Ruby Red Vegan – now we know where you get your lovely smile!

33. Lizzy says:

Ha ha, gotta love it! Reminds me of the Nanny =p
    Happy Birthday to your mom!

I love your dish and am totally craving broccoli now, he he!

34. Mihl says:

Happy Birthday to your mom!

35. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Erika—
    Haha no it doesn’t sound icky; it made me laugh. You are so sweet—and your compliment made my mom very happy :o).

Caitlin—
    LOL your great aunt sounds cute… but she better watch out, or soon her age’ll be a negative number! I guess I am going to have to tell my mom she needs to start ageing again, too; otherwise, I’ll soon surpass her in age!

Lauren–
    Aww, thank you! And YOU are so sweet for saying so!

36. Caitlin says:

Katie,
    LOL, she’s pretty old so I think she’s only reached 75 or something… :) Yeah, I didn’t even think of that–how weird would it be if you got older than your mom? =P

37. Sophie says:

your parents look lovely and friendly!!!
    Good idea Katie’s mum: I’m always going to be 17 :)
    Are your family Catholic too?
    Ah the sweet memories of first Communion! I got told off by my gran for not being serious enough when receiving communion for the first time but she doesn’t realize man what an event!

38. Kit-Kat says:

are you Catholic?
    If you are, I am too! We would really be sisters!
    Let me know, please!!!