Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Back to the Secret Oatmeal Vault

Raise your hand if you like banana-nut bread.
Ok, put your hands down.
Raise your hand if you like banana-nut bread oatmeal. What’s that? You’ve never had it? In that case, here’s a recipe I created for ya (actually, the recipe is so simple that I don’t think I can really claim I “created” it).
Banana Nut Bread Oatmeal
1/2 cup oats (or 1/4cup oat bran)
2/3 cup non-dairy milk
1/3 cup water (or you can omit the water and increase the soymilk amount to 1 cup)
1/2 a banana, mashed
2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped or crushed
Optional: 1-2 tablespoons sugar (I don’t put it in mine, but when I make this for my mom, she likes about 1 tablespoon added.)
1. In small pot, stir together the oats, milk, water, and optional sugar.
2. Cook until almost done, then add nuts and banana.
3. Stir in the banana and nuts, and leave the heat on until the banana warms up (warm banana = caramelized goodness)
4. Indulge
Here’s a picture, except the picture is with oat bran (which, if possible, I love even more than oatmeal).

Ahhhh the creaminess…

1. Cookiemouse says:

That looks like a perfect breakfast. Oatmeal is such a basic and versatile food and this recipe seems very well balanced.

2. Ricki says:

Love ’em both–oatmeal AND oatbran! And with bananas and walnuts? Sounds perfect! (Though I have to admit that these days, I’m kinda hooked on that blender cereal warmed up).

3. romina says:

I love oat bran too!!! It’s so smooth and creamy… yum!

4. Paulina says:

*Raises Hand* This looks so yummy! Especially since I love banana anything

5. Bonnie says:

I have to stop looking at your pictures, they make me hungry! I don’t think I’ve ever had oat bran, only oatmeal, but to be honest I’m not even really sure what’s the difference between the two. I’m gonna look that up!
    Anyway, it looks delicious and I’ve never had my oatmeal this way, so I’d like to try it!

6. loveofoats says:

mmmmmm oatmeal w/ bananas & nuts is my favorite combination, so i’ll definitely have to try oatbran with it… if it tastes similar to banana nut bran (my hand was raised HIGH!), I’d be in heaven 😉

7. ChickPea says:

If this is as good as your oatmeal pudding recipe, I’m in for a real treat with this one. Can’t wait to try this!

8. Vegan On Stage says:

oh my goodness… i cannot wait to make this… WOAH.. i love breakfast but I always eat the same thing. its time to explore

9. shellyfish says:

This sounds yummy for my tummy! You are just such a sweetie- leaving such cute comments over my way! (And I “virtually” met you mom, shucks :). I was all blushy & stuff… :) Promise you’ll let me know how your scones come out!!!

10. healthyceliac says:

Creamy oatmeal + banana = pure happiness!

11. CeciLiA says:

wow, banana bread in my bowl of oatmeal? Anytime Katie! Will try out all your oatmeal recipe soon…. so look out, tehee ;0)

Btw, is vital wheat gluten the same as gluten flour? Can’t seem to find any here…

oooo… is oatbran like really creamy? I might give them a try one day 😉

12. Kati says:

mmm looks excellent!

13. Rural Vegan says:

Oatbran is amazing stuff. I am totally raising my hand right now. Can you see me? 😉

14. Allison says:

(This is the email Allison LOL)That looks SO good!! I love all of your recipes! Oh, and the bunny cake is too adorable…I really think we need to go into business together 😉 PS, I hope you got my last email!

15. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Haha, you sound just like a teacher at the beginning of your post. I haven’t had banana nut bread oatmeal! But I’ve been planning to make banana bread all week, but now that I finally have a loaf pan, the ‘nanas are all gone! (I am getting my Ruby Red self to the grocery store today, though, no worries.)

Okay, I’m coming over with the mint ice cream (and I’m hoping it won’t melt on the way)…

16. Vegan Invasion! (Ashley Nicole) says:

I’m a big fan of oat bran over oatmeal, too! This looks like an excellent way to start the morning!

17. lengslog says:

my hand is raised! I love banana nut bread and your oatmeal take on it sounds delish! I will have to try it sometime soon.

18. fruity says:

mmm, bananas are good every which way!! and if you can make hot oatmeal in Texas, I can def. make it in New Hampshire…I’m inspired!

If you ever come to New Hampshire I will cook a feast! Peanut butter, bananas and chocolate would be the main ingredients! haha

19. Bianca says:

I need to thank you Katie (and also Romina and Poopie Bitch) for turning me on to oatmeal again. I never hated it, but it wasn’t always a breakfast standard for me…only something I’d eat when there wasn’t anything else for breakfast.

But I love oatmeal again! Yea! And that’s due to you (and Romina and Poopie’s) oatmeal posts. I’ve started adding in extras and it’s SO MUCH BETTER.

20. Alice (in Veganland) says:

Of course you have created the recipe! The fact that it’s easy doesn’t change a thing! It sounds like a perfect breakfast, btw…

21. Lauren says:

oh my, oatmeal is so delicious..and so are bananas..ohh i must make this soon. :)

22. Kimberly says:

Ooh, that looks good! My favorite healthy breakfast muffin is a mix of spelt flour and oat bran… for my next batch, I’m SO adding in some walnuts and mashed banana.

23. Vegan_Noodle says:

Love the post title :-) very cute. My hand definitely went up.