Eat Your Vegetables

Did you know that today is Eat Your Vegetables Day? Well, apparently, it is. (Thanks, Mom, for telling me this.) So eat those veggies, everyone!

In honor of the day (and since I don’t have time for an elaborate post anyway), I’m going to be boring and do a re-post. So if the following story seems familiar to you, it’s because I posted it before, back in November.

The Adventures of Broccoli Girl

Once upon a time, there lived a little vegan who was quite fond of broccoli (and chocolate… but that’s another story for another time). When this little vegan was not yet two years old (and not yet a vegan), her aunt was “lucky” enough to get to babysit. The little vegan and her aunt were having a grand time… until dinner, that is.

The aunt lovingly placed Little Vegan in her highchair and served up the meal– some chicken, some pasta, and a tiny bit of broccoli. Thus began a night of pandemonium…

Little Vegan picked at the pasta and completely ignored the chicken (even at such a tender age, she was a very smart girl!). However, she devoured every morsel of the broccoli, then clamored for more.

“Brocci brocci, MORE brocci!” she screamed at her aunt. Auntie quickly obliged, scooping another meager serving of the green veggie onto Little Vegan’s plate. Soon, this broccoli, too, had vanished.

“Brocci brocci, MORE brocci!” Little Vegan impatiently hit her tray, hands beating the plastic as if it were a drum. Auntie was smarter this time; she gave Little Vegan a BIG helping of broccoli– the rest of the contents of the serving dish, in fact. But Little Vegan still was not satisfied.

Barely five minutes had passed when the little vegan recommenced her cries.

“Brocci brocci, MORE brocci!” Alas, the broccoli was all gone. Auntie tried explaining this to Little Vegan, but her efforts were in vain.

“MORE brocci!!!!” Auntie now wondered which would break first– the highchair/drum or Little Vegan’s fists.

What to do? A distressed Auntie frantically dialed Omni-mom, mother of Little Vegan. (This, dear reader, was before the invention of cellular phones, so Auntie dialed the restaurant in which Omni-mom and dad were eating.)

To make a long story, well, a *little bit* shorter, Little Vegan did not cease wailing until Omni-mom and dad returned home and boiled up some newly-purchased broccoli. Finally, Little Vegan was content.

It was many months, however, before Auntie agreed to babysit again.

1. VeggieGirl says:

hahaha!! your poor Aunt!! well hey, at least you were a huge fan of the broccoli, and NOT the chicken part of the meal ;0) love this childhood memory!!

2. Rural Vegan says:

Ha! Clearly you were a vegan in training at that young age! What a smart kid.

3. Jody from VegChic says:

That is a hilarious story!

4. maybepigscanfly says:

What an awesome story! You were one smart cookie as a young-un. Not like me who detested broccoli until a Senior in High School (I don’t know how I went without it!).

Now you can be the chocolate and broccoli vegan- just maybe not together at the same time!

5. Vegan_Noodle says:

Such a cute story….made me smile and giggle :-)
    My mom used to always say I liked to “scare” my broccoli since I would just eat the tops.

6. aTxVegn says:

You know I’m loving that broccoli story with a happy ending. I’ve always loved broccoli too, and I remember my baby sister calling them “trees.”

I almost named my blog Chocolate and Broccoli, then I found out the Olsen twins had a song of that name – eww.

7. Liz² says:

what an adorable story! and I think “chocolate covered vegan” is way up there on awesome blog names, yep. ^_^

8. Kelly Mahoney says:

Oh my goodness, doesn’t like chocolate! I wrote a post once and threw in “and who doesn’t like chocolate?” and got a firestorm response from those who aren’t fans.

9. Shananigans says:

Hehe, cute story! Even from such a young age, you knew the good stuff. My mom boiled the heck out of all vegetables, or they came out of a can, so I didn’t learn the potential yumminess of veggies till much later in life.

10. Ashasarala says:

Haha This was awesome. But your poor aunt!

‘Brocci’ is wonderous, isn’t it? You were quite a wise one when you were little. 😉

11. Johanna3 says:

funny , but poor Aunt!!

12. healthnut says:

I love all your stories! They’re so much fun to read :)

I <3 broccoli too!

13. Patrick says:

Ahahah.. one time I went to this veg restaurant, and had this WICKED craving for broccoli.

I said to the waitress:

“Could I just get a big bowl full of broccoli?’

And they wouldn’t give it to me!

14. VegMomma says:

That is hilarious and awesome.

15. Bianca says:

Aw! You were a smart kid. I wouldn’t eat broccoli unless it was covered with cheese or dipped in ranch dressing. But then again, I was a very fat kid (no joke…I had to start dieting in 5th grade).

16. Melissa says:

haha, that picture is really cute!!!

17. Healthy eating blog says:

how sweet am i? not NEARLY as sweet as you!

HOW do you get all these layal blog readers? i only have 1 blog reader BUT shes VERY loyal! (you) :o)

18. Veg-a-Nut says:

You are one smart cookie. :o) Childhood memories are wonderful. Broccoli is my favorite veggie! Oh, and please feel free to add me to your blog role :o)

19. Anonymous says:

That picture is so cute!

When you make chocolate smoothies do you use cocoa powder? Or add sugar to make it sweet? I would love to try a chocolate smoothie combination (I hate bananas but like most fruit), but am just unsure as to proportions.

20. Nikki Miller-Ka says:

I haven’t been by your blog in a while. I’m glad to hear today is Eat Your Vegetables Day. I had some green and black beans today, so I feel good about that!