Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Scrambled Tofu

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam I Am.

But Scrambled Tofu?  Why, that’s a whole different story!

I like to run in the mornings, so the last thing I want to do upon my return is to slave away in the kitchen in front of a hot stove. Instead, I’ve gotten in the habit of cooking my breakfast the night before. That way, when I get back from running, I can sit down to a restaurant-quality breakfast, with minimal preparation required.

Since variety is the spice of life (as the saying goes), I like to change up my breakfasts. Lately, one of my favorites–that I’ll eat maybe 3-4 times per week–has been Tofu Scramble. It’s so versatile; just by varying the veggies or the seasonings, you can have a completely different dish every time!

Above, I transfer the cooked scramble to a container and put it in the fridge. When I’m ready to eat the next morning, all I have to do is put the scramble on a plate and heat it in the microwave.

Katie’s Mad Scrambled Tofu

• 1/2 block Mori-Nu firm silken tofu
  • 2/3 tablespoon minced garlic
  • ¼ tsp turmeric
  • ½ tsp onion powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Two or more veggies (my favorites include bell peppers, beech mushrooms, baby bella mushrooms, tomatoes, zucchini… ok, maybe I just like all veggies)

Put the tofu in a pan and chop it up (not too finely, though). Sprinkle the garlic and other seasonings on top of the tofu. Turn the stove on to medium heat and sauté the tofu in whatever liquid you use to sauté (oil, water, veg broth, etc.). After only about 10 seconds, add the veggies. Stir constantly, and add water as needed to prevent sticking. It’s done when the veggies are no longer crisp (with my stove, that’s about 3-5 minutes).

Green eggs and ham? Nope, it’s green veggies and tofu!

Above, Italian Style: Use zucchini and tomatoes or bell peppers as the veggies, and add ½ tsp each oregano and basil.

scrambled tofu

Above, my favorite, Indian Style: Add ½ tsp curry powder, ½ tsp Garam Masala, ¼ tsp Coriander, ½ tsp cumin.

Not pictured– Mexican-Style: Add salsa and a pinch of chili powder. You can even roll it up in a tortilla for a burrito breakfast.

Tags: , , , ,

1. magpie says:

I just discovered scrambled tofu – so good. I like pretty much all veggies in it too 🙂 My omni boyfriend loved it as well!

2. loveofoats says:

I can’t wait to try scrambled tofu… i love scrambled eggs so this has gotta be better!

3. Jenni says:

I’ve always wanted to try a tofu scramble but I didn’t know where to start! Thanks for the recipe!

4. Healthy eating blog says:

you crazy creative vegan! i want to steal your amazing mind. oh…..wait…….nevermind. i was about to say i just stole your amazingly creative mind, but stealing is mean and bad! lol! WOW thats ALOT of languages! i think my head started hurting just looking at that long list! :o) have a great day!

5. lighterportions says:

I’ve been really really wanting to try tofu scramble. So I am super glad you made this post! I love all the variations you have on it as well. And the fact that you make it the night before. This will be the perfect pre work breakfast for those bright and early mornings now!

6. Cherry says:

Wow, your version of tofu scramble is much simpler than the VWAV version I usually make. I love your variations.

7. Amanda says:

Such creative ideas! Do you eat your food with chopsticks?!

8. flvegan says:

Yum yum YUM!! All of those variations look great!!
    Sad to say, though, I’ve never had scrambled tofu. Now I guess I’ll *have* to try your recipe! 😉

PS-LOOOVE Smart Balance Light!

Have a fab day!

9. romina says:

FABULOUS! My mom loves tofu scamble, can’t wait to make this for her! She used to make it wayyy before I became a vegetarian and *I* thought she was the crazy one then haha.

10. Eric says:

Tofu scrambles are theeee best dish ever!

11. Jenn says:

I love the title of your post! So creative ;o)

I really need to try scrambled tofu. I love all the different varieties you have here!

We need to combine our tennis/golf talents so that we’re unstoppable!

12. Allison says:

I still can’t believe I haven’t tried a tofu scramble! I’m SO happy you posted these amazing- and gorgeous!- recipes…I know what I’m having for breakfast this weekend! 🙂
    PS…I love Smart Balance Light!!

13. herbivore says:

Great idea to make them the night before. I always end up with bowls of cereal, granola, blueberries, and raisins (a little of each all mixed together… different kinds of granola and cereal and fruits as well, I think cereal is to boring on its own) I like to run in the morning to, but sometimes I get hungry and lazy and eat breakfast first and then go run. But then I get stomach aches and its hot out and I have to go to the bathroom and I am thirsty. This should give me some motivation to get out there and RUN!

I am totally make the mayo cake – looks like the only thing that needs veganizing is the mayo!

14. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Oh my gosh — what this post is making me crave most is a slice of whole wheat toast! I’ll have to try Smart Balance Light once my Earth Balance runs out.

Scrambled tofu is so heavenly. I love that you cook your breakfasts the night before! I never eat tofu as leftovers, so I didn’t realize you could keep scrambled tofu overnight and have it be yummy the next morning. I’ve had to stop being elaborate with breakfasts the last two weeks also, because of my school schedule, but I’ve made a few batches of muffins at nighttime, freeze them, and then reheat them for breakfast throughout the week. So yummy with a soymilk smoothie!

I just caught up on reading all your posts I missed too — oh, how I love your blog so much! Forgive me for being absent… 🙂

15. Paulina says:

What a great idea! I need to do that too. I keep telling myself that I’ll make a Tofu Scramble for breakfast but I just don’t want to slave over a hot stove in the morning.

16. Anonymous says:

you should try using firm tofu instead of silken. first of all, it is more calorie-dense and will keep you fuller longer. also it won’t crumble as much and actually have some texture. silken is best used for puddings, dips, smoothies, etc.

secondly, you dont need to be using light ”butter” regular earth balence is delicious and it contians good oils which your body needs to survive. especially being vegan it is important because being vegan is a very low fat lifestyle.

17. Ricki says:

I love me a good tofu scramble–have never had it with silken tofu, though (only extra-firm).

How cool about those languages! I’ve always wanted to learn Chinese, as I teach a lot of Chinese students. And that mayo cake? Well of course now I’m just going to have to try out a vegan version. . . .:)

18. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

I explained my reasoning for using Smart Balance Light. By myself, I don’t use much butter, so when I want some, I just mooch off the one my parents buy ;o). They buy Smart Balance Light because they are watching their weights.

19. A.Cook says:

Hey!! This is my first time visiting your blog…it’s great! I have made tofu scramble on many occasions but I love your ideas for the “ethnic” variations and will definitely be giving them a try…especially the Indian one (mmmmmm!).

Thanks! 🙂

20. herbivore says:

I at least have to have a banana, or toast, or clif kids fruit braids. I feel so tired and icky if I don’t eat anything!