Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Somewhere over the Rainbow

The other day for lunch, I made one of the best sandwiches I’ve had in my life. Yes, it was that good.

Katie’s Rainbow Sandwich

1/4 cup refried beans
a few handfuls broccoli slaw (I’ve subbed mixed greens or spinach, too)
1/2 cup peach salsa
1 pita pocket

On both sides of an Ezekiel 7-grain pita, I spread some refried beans. Then I added some broccoli/carrot/cabbage slaw, and I topped it all off with some William’s Farm peach salsa (the BEST stuff on earth).

I am sorry to say that unless you live in Texas, you won’t be able to find William’s Farm peach salsa. Try D.L. Jardine’s peach salsa, which is the second best one I’ve tried. And sure, you could use regular salsa for the sandwich, but your result would be lacking the juicy sweetness that only peach salsa can give.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Healthy eating blog says:

THAT sounds very interesting, in a good way! :o) thanks for being such a great “chocolate covered” friend! your the best! :o)

2. romina says:

This looks like something I’d love!

3. Bianca says:

Peach salsa is the best thing ever! That sounds great and really wholesome. Love the idea of using slaw in place of lettuce.

4. a.cook says:

Looks great–love all the colors!

You can definitely add me to your blogroll…I’ve already added you! Thanks :)

5. ClaudiaWR says:

Hey! Yeah, I totally live in Japan, but am moving to South America soon! I’m kinda all over the place these days! When/why did you live in Japan? BTW, your blog is really fun and there’s tons to inspiration to be found in it…Take care.

6. Jenn says:

I love love love D.L. Jardine’s salsa AND refried beans!! Thanks for the great idea :o)

7. The Voracious Vegan says:

This sandwich looks soooo good, what a great idea with the peach salsa!

And yep, I was born in Saudi Arabia just like my mom and dad, even though we are all American. In fact, both sides of my family has been in Saudi for the past 60 years. I went to university in the UK and in the states, and now I live and work in Bahrain. But I’m planning to move back to the states to complete my phd next year!

As always, I love your blogs and your creative ideas. Keep them coming!

8. kindkitchen says:

Looks tasty! I love refried beans.

9. Emma says:

Mmmm that looks like a lovely summer lunch! : )

10. Avery Yale Kamila says:

Yum! That sounds absolutely delightful!

11. fruity says:

I’ve never tried fruity salsa before, I’ve never been a fan of mixing fruits and veggies..but maybe, just maybe, I’ll give it a shot 😉

12. jessy says:

omg, that sammie looks soooooooooooooooooooooooo good! i love anything with refried beans. and peach salsa?! just glorious! 😀

13. LK says:

Wow, what an interesting meal. I love Ezekiel pitas, too – they are my favorite! I love refried beans (without lard), but they always seem to be too high in sodium. I haven’t seen that peach salsa in this part of Texas, but I’ll have to look the next time I go to the store.

14. Cherry says:

That sound like a great sandwich! I love the Ezekiel pitas too, but I usually have the 4:9 kind.

15. Alice (in Veganland) says:

Peach salsa? you little genius… I am drooling! :-)

16. Danielle says:

That looks delicious! Looks like I’m going to have to wait to try it though… hope all is well!

17. aTxVegn says:

What a fantastic sammie! I always have that broccoli slaw on hand, and I’ve discovered it’s great thrown into stirfrys.

18. Sanja says:

Peach salsa? I definitely have to go look for that. (Or make it myself, because I have a feeling I won’t be able to find it here…)

O, and of course you may add me to your blog roll. :-)

19. lighterportions says:

Peach salsa?! Well that sounds divine.. I’ve never seen anything like that sold around here before. Maybe I’ll have to try looking up a recipe to make my own!

20. loveofoats says:

wow – what a delicious meal… your posts are always SO pretty & colorful, I love that about your posts :) Happy Monday!

21. Bruised Orange says:

A mango salsa would probably be good if you can’t find peach.

22. Kumudha says:

I have a can of refried beans sitting in my pantry from so many months. I’m now eager to try this recipe!

23. Vegan_Noodle says:

Makes me glad I live in the Lone Star State!! I will have to look for that salsa! Sandwich looks mighty tasty…

24. herbivore says:

Mmm I love fruit salsas, my favorites are raspberry chipotle and mango habenaro. YUM!

25. Traci Anne says:

Oh gosh darn it, I wish I’d seen your post when I was home (I got back today) so I could get some of that salsa! I think the parents will have to send me some!

Also, I told my mom about the new Soy Delicious flavors, and she’s SO excited and said she’d be looking for them (I told her which WF you went to)! My mom and I are both lactose-intolerant, but she’s MUCH more severe than I am, so while I can handle some Blue Bell (but up here, I usually stick to soy ice cream, so much easier), she’s always looking for yummier non-dairy ice cream options! So… thanks!

26. Oh yeah…all I need is a pita pocket, and this sandwich is all mine!!! :)