Clowning Around

In my next post, I’ll write all about my fun-filled Fourth of July. But for now, all I can give you is cake. I hope you don’t mind!

Another party; another cake. Sadly, I didn’t get to go to this party… but I still had fun making the cake! Knowing how much I love to decorate cakes (it’s no secret!), my friend’s mom asked if she could hire me to make a cake for her son’s birthday.

“You definitely do not have to pay me,” I told her. “In fact, I should pay you, because I have so much fun decorating cakes!” (In the end, she did insist on paying me, but I wouldn’t take as much as she originally offered.)

My friend’s brother, who is three, is OBSESSED with clowns. So naturally, I stuck a fondant clown on his birthday cake. My friend told me that it was the first thing he picked off and ate. (Kinda reminds me of when I was little and always wanted to eat the roses on the cakes. Did anyone else ever do this?)

Tags:

1. Allison says:

That is the CUTEST clown I have ever seen! I can’t get over how talented you are with molding fondant…I have the hardest time haha. You are such a sweet person, Katie! :0) Can’t wait to hear about your 4th of July fun!

2. loveofoats says:

awww what an adorable cake for the 3 year old! love the clown fondant – tooooooo cute! i hope you had a great day yesterday 🙂

3. Lauren says:

the cake looks soo cute!! you have quite a talent with cake decorating! 🙂

4. Kimberly says:

Your little clown is adorable! If more real-life clowns looked that sweet, there would be a lot less coulrophobia going around 😉

5. newcitygirl says:

So cute! I totally would have gone for the clown first too! And I did the same thing when I was little…whichever part had the most frosting/sugar was mine!

6. Katy says:

What a cute cake! What a lucky little boy! You have mad cake decorating skills! 🙂

7. Ricki says:

Gorgeous cake, as usual! I love all the little zigzags around the clown. And of course I also asked for the roses on my piece (I usually wanted a corner slice, so I’d get BOTH the roses AND the extra piping around 2 sides of the slice!).

8. VegMomma says:

Oh fun!!!

9. shellyfish says:

Oh so so cute! I would love to just eat him right up!
    ooohhh the frosting roses…I used to just eat those suckers and forget the cake! Once, I ate so many at a very posh wedding we went to when I was about 6, that I actually threw up (luckily in the bathroom)! My mom was so embarassed! 🙂 Oops…

Just so you know, I don’t odo that any more!

10. aTxVegn says:

That is such a cute clown! You are worthy of payment for your cake decorating.

11. Cookiemouse says:

What a lovely cake. I also like clowns, indeed I often think I am one.

12. Paulina says:

Awww…how cute! I used to be the little girl who always wanted to eat the flowers on the cake first 🙂

13. Kate says:

So cute!

14. lighterportions says:

LOVE the clown, it is too adorable! And I like how bright and fun you made the cake.

That Moosewood cake sounds great. Gonna have to give that a try next time a cake is needed!

15. Vegetation says:

Awesome looking cake! And yeah, I was always the one picking off the flowers or anything else that was on the cake…used to get me in trouble sometimes, I couldn’t help myself!

16. Healthy eating blog says:

once again, youve OUTDONE yourself, or should i say outdecorated? hehe. thanks for your nice comment and im glad you had fun decorating! :o)

17. Jenny says:

SO CUTE! And I bet he was delicious too…

18. mad about udon says:

Beautiful! I’d die of happiness if someone made that for me, and I’m 23! 🙂

19. CeciLiA says:

OMG!!! I sorta used that recipe as well for my cake!

I love the clown on your cake… Just wondering do you have all those cake decorating materials at hand?!

Soo talented!! I can never make something out of a piece of fondant!!

Have a great weekend!!

20. Nikki Douglas says:

I always eat the decorations off a cake – I am notorious for it! My brother used to get so mad when we were kids because I’d pout unless I got the rose! This is so sweet looking and colorful. My inner three year old loves it. I am normally petrified of clowns but yours is adorable.