As visions of sugarplums did not dance in her head

When I started my blog, I was trying hard to gain weight by consuming tons of vegan junk food. If you read my early entries, you’ll find many posts about sugary desserts, and even some posts that mention me having a snack of multiple pieces of cake (such as in this post).

I was constantly consuming exorbitant amounts of vegan layer cake, brownies, cookies, and downing soy ice cream by the pint (in a single sitting) in an attempt to put some weight on. However, there were two problems with this strategy:

One was that I’d feel so awful after stuffing so much junk into me that it would cause me to undereat later (and thus, I didn’t see any lasting weight gain). Two was that all the sugar I was consuming was really draining me of energy.

After a few months of eating like this, I had to seriously change my diet.  Nowadays, I eat a high-calorie diet, but it’s mostly made up of healthy foods, with very little sugar. I feel much better this way.

See the following post for more: Chocolate-Covered Katie: My High Calorie Diet.

Tags:

1. A.Cook says:

Not boring at all–always interesting to see how people choose their blog names or URLs or both.

PS-Your little cousins are actually some of the cutest children I have seen in a long time!

2. Green Eyes, Green Heart says:

I like your URL! And I think you look great–just the way a chocolate-covered vegan should!
    (People pick on me for being “too thin” also, and whenever someone asks me how much I weigh, I counter with: “Would you ask an obese person that question?” Works every time. ;D )
    ~Erin

1. Hawaii Leah says:

From another “thin” person who has experienced that same question one too many times–thank you! I am definitely going to use that line next time!

3. Ricki says:

Thanks for the explanation, though you shouldn’t feel you have to explain yourself! And whatever URL you choose to use, I’ll still read. 🙂

4. shellyfish says:

You don’t need to explain a thing, baby!

My mum grew up stick thin and had just the most horrible time with people being mean, name calling, etc. I mean, really thin. In her early 20s the doctor then suggested she drink chocolate malts and eat junk to gain weight so she could have kids. She very reluctantly followed this horrible advice and sadly became really addicted to junk food. She had her first heart attack before hitting 50, and now just longs for the days of being skinny. I’m so glad you got out of that trap, Special K! You’re a smart cookie!

5. Nikki Douglas says:

Katie – I have been very slim and very fat and you are 100 percent correct that it is about coming to terms with YOU, just as you are – no matter how much or how little you weigh. My best friend Stephanie was very thin in her youth and didn’t start to gain weight (she is very healthy – a yoga teacher) until she was in her thirties. She will not ever be curvy but she looks great. Thank goodness we aren’t all the same.

6. RhodeyGirl/Irbas/Sabrina says:

thank you very much for the explanation. i also wondered about the blog name. good for you for listening to your body. that is really great

7. Vegan_Noodle says:

I don’t think your blog url should be a big deal… blogs are evolving just like people so it’s hard to choose one thing that will stick forever! And I must thank you for leaving it so we don’t all have to change our blog readers, etc…. such a pain!

8. Bianca says:

I had wondered about that…not because you’re thin but because most of your food is super-healthy (even if it is in large portions…I’m a little jealous that I can’t eat that much without blowing up like a balloon…but I was a fat kid, so I know my limits…).

I’m glad you’ve learned to love your body and stopped cramming down junk food (even if junk food does taste yummy!). I think you’re adorable just the way you are!

9. Theresa says:

I used to hate it in high school and the early days of uni (before I started drinking beer) when people would make remarks like “you’re so skinny” or “don’t you ever eat?” If it were the other way around, and someone said “You’re so fat, do you ever stop stuffing your face?” it would be completely unacceptable.

So, although I love your blog url, I’m very glad to hear that you’ve come to terms with yourself and stopped listening to people who say you need to bulk up!

10. MizFit says:

no way this was totally interesting as Id been wanting to know…

M.

11. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Hey, I thought this was a really interesting post! I’m glad you made the point that a junk food vegan diet just isn’t sustaining, and also that you found a way to eat that you’re really happy with. Yay for those healthy foods! Can I also say that I am secretly excited about your “what I eat in a day”?! I think it will be amusing, with that crazy revved-up metabolism of yours!

12. Lauren says:

You don’t have to explain a thing! I think you are (and look) fabulous! 🙂 And of course you can add me to your blogroll!

13. Vegan On Stage says:

KATIE! i think that you look great and the most important thing is to be healthy. I have had the opposite problem in the past. My weight has always been an issue and veganism has been a wonderful answer. I think its great that you have chosen to eat a high calorie healthy diet (god knows there are ways!) I also think your a great role model for those who do struggle with gaining weight.
    Just know that your beautiful!!!

14. aTxVegn says:

As they say, what’s in a name? I’m glad you don’t blog about how to gain weight eating junk food! You are beautiful and I can’t imagine blogland without you.

15. Anonymous says:

eating junk food to gain weight is incredibly dumb. there’s a healthy way to do everything, even putting on pounds.
    i’m not a vegan, not even a vegetarian, but i’m a health nut, and i eat mostly vegan/vegetarian, mainly because preparing meat takes time that i don’t always have.
    plus, i just happen to love the way a lot of vegan/vegetarian food tastes.
    i was wondering, do vegans ever battle anemia? i had a problem with it when i was younger, and was put on iron pills, but they made me sick and have horrible cramps. what do vegans do to treat anemia?

16. Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) says:

I thought this post was very interesting! Thanks for explaining!

17. VeganCowGirl says:

Katie! You are who you are, and folks who write comments about your weight are so short sighted and unimportant.

You are an uber wonderful blogger, and an obviously great cook/baker!

Thanks for sharing the information!

18. The Voracious Vegan says:

Be proud of who you are. My entire family is very thin but extremely fit and healthy. In fact, when I was younger, I got called into the counselor’s office at school to be asked if I had an eating disorder. And when people find out I’m a vegan they get this look in their eyes like ‘Ahhh….that is why she is so thin.’ But they are wrong, I’ve just always been like this. I don’t care about being thin, I care about being STRONG, and I am!

19. CeciLiA says:

You are so kind, Katie!! You don’t have to explain a thing to anyone about your URL :0)

It’s annoying that people always assume that every skinny people MUST have some sort of eating disorder if they eat too healthfully (of course, there are some out there – BUT not all of us have one!!!) – I mean people who look ‘normal’ can eat as healthfully as they want to – i.e.: have low fat food, and people won’t pick on them – but when it comes to skinny people eating such food – some ‘anonymous’ commenter just jumps in and declare that you have an ‘eating disorder’, sheesh, give me a break!!!

20. Aimee says:

You are such a sweet person, as anyone who reads your blog can quickly discover. I think that it is great that you strive to be and feel healthy.