Rat-a-tat-ouille

A while ago, a friend told me I just *had* to see the movie, Ratatouille.  So I took her advice one night and, along with my parents (and Molly, who adores tv-watching), saw the film. The movie was adorable– just like my friend said it’d be. But I was left with a HUGE craving… for ratatouille, of course!

So the very next day, I bought all the ingredients to make my own ratatouille. It sure cured my craving; the only thing missing was Remy the Rat to help me cook.

Remy, if you’re out there, I’m in the market for a sous chef. (Although my mom might not be too receptive to the idea of a rat in the kitchen…)

As the following picture shows, I made an enormous batch of ratatouille. When I cook, I like to make extra servings and freeze the leftovers. These particular leftovers lasted quite a while!

Ratatouille, fluffy brown rice, and lime wedges (after I took this picture, I spritzed some lime on a little of the rice, decided the flavor was NOT complimentary to the ratatouille, and that was the end of the pretty lime wedges!) Other fun ways to enjoy ratatouille? Wrap some up in a tortilla, and you can call it either of these two snazzy names:
1. Ra-ta-tilla
2. Wrap-tatouille
Yeah, there are millions of ratatouille recipes floating around the internet. But– why not?– I’m going to add mine to the bunch.

Rat-a-tat-ouille

(This recipe freezes well)

1 medium onion, chopped
2 red peppers, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3-5 tbsp minced garlic
½ lb eggplant, cubed
1 large can tomatoes (or sub fresh ones)
1 ½ lb zucchini, sliced
optional, 1 can chickpeas
3 tbsp dry basil, or much more if using fresh
salt to taste (I use 1 and 1/4 tsp. I like salt!)
1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot, sauté the onion and garlic in oil or oil spray until the onion begins to brown. Add all other ingredients, cover the pot, and cook until tender. Serve hot or cold.

Tags: , , ,

1. Lauren says:

I also saw that movie recently (the begining of the summer) and tried my hand at ratatouille too! I loved the movie! So cute and great for foodies like us!

2. Katy says:

I’ve never eaten (or seen) ratatouille. It looks awesome! I need to make it soon!

3. Meg says:

That looks absolutely delicious! I may have to make that tonight or over the weekend!

4. Animal-Friendly says:

I love that movie! It really is too cute. And your recipe for ratatouille sounds delicious- nothing hits the spot quite like a big ol’ pot of yummy vegetables!

Happy (early) birthday!!

5. VeganCowGirl says:

Katie, I love your recipe. Sounds great. I love that movie as well – totally cool. The animation is amazing…remy’s little hands were so cute. Great post! As always.

6. magpie says:

I love ratatouille! I did the same thing – after I saw the movie I immediately had to try to make it myself 🙂

7. Binx says:

yay for virgos! i’m the 10th. my sister is the 5th, my dad’s the 11th… we have a faily of virgos.

8. sweetpotato says:

I love that movie, it’s so cute!! I’ve never eaten ratatouille though. Looks like I should try it!

9. Vegyogini says:

CCV, I did the exact same thing after I saw Ratatouille! I’d been eating this lovely dish for ages, as it was one of the first French dishes I ate while living in France over 10 years ago and finally made some from scratch after seeing the film. I made mine w/ quinoa on the side, but brown rice is perfect, too! I love your ideas for variations. 🙂

10. Mihl says:

It’s really funny that so many people crave ratouille after they saw the movie 🙂

11. Bianca says:

Though it sounds so simple, I’ve never had ratatouille. Loved the movie though! I bet it was the shiz over some brown rice!

And happy early birthday!

12. Melody Polakow says:

Yum! I got myself a hankering for ratatouille from urban vegans post last week..

Yours looks great too!

13. jessy says:

hooray for your Rat-a-tat-ouille! it looks so scrumptious! i’ve never had that before – looks like a great way to enjoy a bunch of delicious summer veggies! mmmmmmmmm!

double-hooray for your upcoming birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. ~randi~ says:

Yum! I love ratatouille. (the food and the movie!)

Good idea, I always forget about it. Will make this soon.

15. eatingbender says:

I still haven’t seen that movie! It looks so cute! And I’ve never eaten ratatouille either…your version is delightful – I am digging the entire list of ingredients!

Ahh I love frozen grapes! Times your picture by, oh 5, and you have one Jenn-serving ;o) I can’t get enough of them!

Happy almost birthday!!!

16. lengslog says:

I know when I saw the movie I felt the same way! LOL

17. Urban Vegan says:

funny–i just made ratatouille, too.

happy b’day!

18. tofufreak says:

I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!! it is so cute!! i had an insatiable craving for ratatouille for the longest time afterwards! i love how simple and fresh and tasty ratatouille is! pure yum.

happy early birthday!

19. Aimee says:

Love the movie, but have never tried to make ratatouille (although I have ate it out places before). Your recipe looks great and I will have to try it soon!

20. Ricki says:

One of my favorite foods–haven’t had it in ages, but must try your version. Haven’t seen the movie, either, but it does sound cute. 🙂