Do you want to know a Secret: Part II

There is a way to make even creamier oatmeal.
(Not to mention creamy bulgur, wheatberries, and barley too.) It’s all thanks to one secret step. Are you ready for the secret to be revealed??? If so, scroll down. (Hmmm, this sounds like one of those annoying chain emails. But I promise I won’t make you send this message to 10 people or risk a lifetime of bad luck!)

(Keep going)

(getting closer)

(almost there)

.(Are you annoyed with me yet?)

Here lies the secret of how to make the creamiest bulgur, wheatberries, barley, spelt, oatmeal, etc. ever:
vitamix oatmeal

You can use a Vitamix, food processor, or regular blender, but I like to use a hand blender because it’s easier to clean. Just make the grains the way you normally would, then blend! (If you want a creamier or thinner consistency, add a little water, milk, or juice prior to blending.)  Sometimes I pulverize the grains to oblivion (the Vitamix or blender is good for this), while other times I barely blend them (the hand blender works well for this– Just blending the grains for a few seconds is long enough for the flavors to meld together but short enough that they still retain their yummy chewiness).

What can you do with these now-creamy grains? Well, you can pretty much use any favorite oatmeal recipe and substitute a different cooked (and blended) grain.

Many ideas can be found on the Chocolate-Covered Recipes’ page,under the title “All Things Oatmeal.” Just use any of the crazy oatmeal recipes and blend the oatmeal + mix-ins. Or, sub a different grain for the oats in one of the oatmeal recipes. Expand your breakfast horizons! Your tummy will thank you.

Photos:

strawberry shortcake oatmeal

Strawberry Shortcake Oatmeal Pudding

Below, Blended Breakfast Bulgur with Banana (Yikes– that’s entirely too many Bs for one recipe title!) I cook up a serving of bulgur, then I add a little soymilk or a little vegan butter and salt and blend away! It yields a pudding-like consistency. You could also add sugar, raisins, nuts, apple juice, peanut butter, etc.  Get creative!

Happy Breakfast Pudding-eating! 🙂

1. VeganCowGirl says:

Give it up for handblenders!!

As usual you totally rock the recipe world.

I love the look of the roasted peppers and grains. I bet that is a great combo!

2. Vegan_Noodle says:

I am always looking for more ways to use my beloved hand blender!

3. jessy says:

sweet awesomeness, CCV! BRILLIANT! 😀

4. eatingbender says:

Haha, I am so NOT annoyed with the chain letter style post. In fact, it makes me extremely happy because I’m reminded of the good ol’ days – I used to love those chain letters, if you can believe it!

I need a hand blender! It would make my life so much easier because the one thing I hate is clean up. I love the creaminess of those oats! I know what I’m asking for this Christmas!

5. Amy says:

I always heard that oatmeal is creamy if you add the oats as soon as you put the water on the stove (while it is still cold), and chewy if you wait until the water boils to add the oats. Hmm, maybe I should do a little kitchen experiment?

6. Lisa says:

Hmm, maybe I need to get me one of those puppies!

7. TavoLini says:

a-HA! It was a blender 🙂

I don’t have one of the hand held ones, but my grandmother used to and she adored it!

8. Ricki says:

Great idea. I’ve had those grains cooked for breakfast, but like the creamy oatmealy texture SO much better! Oh, and love my hand blender. Hate those annoying emails! 😉

9. Brooke says:

katie, i love your creative cooking techniques! i cannot wait to try this!

and thank you for linking your previous oatmeal recipes. the s’mores? oh my gosh, that is going to be my afternoon snack!

10. vegannurse says:

What a creative yet ingenious way to have grains!

I have a hand blender that’s aching to get used and you’ve just given me a great idea!

Will definetly try this one soon!

Oh, and PS: YOU’RE the sweet one! 😉

11. linds says:

I love your huge dinner plates 🙂 and I know I’m supposed to be checking out your grains there but daaaaamn….those peppers look goooood 🙂

12. seitanismymotor says:

What a shame, I just killed my handheld blender the other day 🙁
    Please come and bring me creamy oatmeal.

13. Em says:

Thank you for this post! I a an oatmeal addict and am so happy to learn of some good alternatives! You rock!

14. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Camille—
    Don’t worry; you didn’t sound abrasive at all! I love getting comments, especially comments from people who are in the same boat as me! I know exactly what you mean about rude comments from strangers that make you self-conscious… or even worse—when someone comments about your weight behind your back and you happen to overhear it! But as long as YOU know you’re healthy, that’s what counts :o).

Claudia– LOL I was scared to use the hand blender at first, too! I thought it’d make everything blow up into a huge mess!

Lexi– Of course you know you have my support whenever you need it. All you have to do is ask or email me! What’s your new blog address?

15. Marianne says:

Thanks for the link to your secret! And I have a fancy new immersion blender that I got for Christmas. Yay!

16. Mandy A says:

Hello 🙂

I am so wanting to try this out!!!!!!! My blender isn’t working…. do you think a magic bullet might do the trick?

Thanks! 🙂

17. happyveganlady says:

I love my hand blender (but I wouldn’t say no to a Vita-Mix, if anyone has one they would like me to take off their hands…? ;)). I usually just eat porridge oats (cooked on the stove if I want them quite runny, or in a microwave if I want them a little firmer but still creamy), I haven’t considered eating other types of grain like this. I’ve eaten bulgar wheat in taboulleh and salads, and barley in soups and stews, but next time I think I’ll try them sweet and blended. Thanks for the inspiration!

18. Mony says:

OMG. I guess I’m super late with this…but this morning I finally tried blending my oats with banana and soy yogurt…thank you so much for enlightening me. That was delicious.
    Your blog is awesome by the way, and I love your creative recipes! :))
    Lots of love and hugs!

19. Mony,
    Yay! I’m soooooo excited you liked it!!
    Lots of love and hugs (and chocolate!) back to you.

Love,
    Katie

20. Becky says:

(To enter the contest)

My favorite kitchen gadget would have to be my oven 🙂