Spaghetti Squash Love

Spaghetti Squash!

Everyone seems to have a different way to cook spaghetti squash. Personally, I like to let it bake a long time, so the insides get all caramelized and sweet.

My method:

1. Poke a few holes into the squash with a knife, then cut in half and place the halves right-side-up on a piece of tin foil.

2. Bake the squash in a (not pre-heated) 405-degree oven for about 1 hour (more for a giant squash), then microwave for 2-3 minutes if desired (I always do this).

3. Scoop out the insides.  If you want it even more caramelized, mix with salt and spices, and put under the broiler for a little while.  Otherwise, just eat it with whatever sauce you want (or just plain). Note: bigger squashes usually yield a sweeter result.

What to do with all of this yellow deliciousness?

Like a lot of other bloggers, I love spaghetti squash topped with tomato sauce, mixed with chili, thrown into a stir fry, and even eaten plain. Better than all that, though, is…

Betty Spaghetti Squash-and-Beans!

Layer some spaghetti squash onto a plate, top with beans (like Amy’s baked beans), and mix together so the sauce gets all over the spaghetti squash. It’s so easy, and it tastes great either hot or cold. You can even melt some shredded vegan cheese over the top if you’d like.

Below, my simple meal (2 cups squash, 1 cup beans, and some amazing roasted asparagus on the side)

I’ve been on a roasted-asparagus kick lately. They’re so yummy, simply seasoned with garlic salt and a little olive oil. (My other favorite way to eat them is roasted with olive oil and then drizzled with balsamic vinegar after they come out of the oven.)

Tags: , , , ,

1. Andrea says:

SWEET post from a super sweet blogger 😉 squash is definitely one of my favvvvorite winter meals too! i just had butternut squash soup for lunch today. SO GOOD! i never thought of mixing it with beans or salsa though – very creative!!

good luck with your powerpoint presentation… i have to do one for marketing class this week too!

2. kindkitchen says:

We both blogged about spaghetti squash today! Crazzzy.

Good luck on your power point! I need to start some homework myself.

3. Erin of Care to Eat says:

Yay! I’m eating spag squash for dinner right now!
    Also, I meant to tell you that my protein powder is just the GNC soy brand. I LOVE IT!

4. Meg says:

Yummy post! I love spaghetti squash! Hope your project goes well!

5. Gina says:

ooooh i totally need to get a spaghetti squash and roast it!
    asparagus is one of my favorite veggies 😀
    hope you have a great night and good luck with your presentation!

6. Ricki says:

I have to say I never got turned on to spaghetti squash, but you’ve made it sound so SWEET that I think I’ll have to try again! 😉

7. River says:

What a sweet post! Your squash and beans dish looks sweet! Hope your PowerPoint project is really sweet! Stay sweet! 😛

8. shelby says:

I need to try spaghetti squash!! I keep seeing recipes from bloggers and they sound so good. I can’t wait to try one.

Don’t worry about not commenting for a bit, your super busy girl!

9. Veg-a-Nut says:

SWEET! lovely post and good luck on your power point project. See you soon!

10. trustingmyintuition says:

I’m filling in the blank with sweet! haha. Great post. I too am psyched for winter squash! 🙂 GOod luck with the power point, and I’m with you because I’ve got a totally unnecessary 12 page paper to write.

11. just me says:

ahhhhh…you’re too sweet! i love that you blogged about spaghetti squash! i finally finished up mine just last week!!

g’luck w/ your project!

12. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Yes! Once again, great meal ideas! I had half a roasted butternut squash today and just fell in love alllll over again. But I have not been as friendly with Mr. Spaghetti Squash, so I am very grateful you have posted about this. I will have to try the longer roasting + “cut at the end” method, and I especially like the idea of mixing it into chili!

Awww, your comments make me so happy. We really do need to meet for real in person sometime! (And it should be at the Spiral Diner, dang it!)

13. alaina says:

i am so excited about the return of winter squash!! i’ve never done anything too interesting with spaghetti squash, just eaten it plain or with a kind of marinara.

14. magpie says:

LOVE spaghetti squash. I make stir-frys with mine most of the time.

Good luck on your powerpoint 🙂

15. eatingbender says:

I have mad love for spaghetti squash and winter squash season in general! Thanks for sharing your version :o)

Good luck with that presentation!

16. Bianca says:

I found it to be delicious! I love me some spaghetti squash but I’ve never tried roasting it for 2 hours. I’m not that patient, but I bet it tastes better all caramelized…I usually cut in half and roast about 45 minutes at a high temp…or (gasp) microwave it with plastic wrap over the top of each half.

I’ll try and plan ahead next time so I can slow roast it.

17. Ali loves Keyshia Cole! says:

Hey I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog sooo much!!!!!!!

18. Vegyogini says:

Thanks so much for the much less dangerous method for opening spaghetti squash and a huge thank you for the link, as well! I hope your post saves many other unknowing spaghetti squash openers from the same battle I faced. 😉

19. Lily Girl says:

I agree, winter squash season rocks. So does roasted asparagus, yum.

20. Agnesss =) says:

HEY HEY!!!!!!!!! :-DD

Great ideas for the SQUASH!!!!!! Ohh UNFORTUNATELY I CANNOT GET SPAGHETTI SQUASH HERE AT THE MOMENT!!! :_(( ew…

Well…I’m impressed HOW MANY COMMENTS YOU ALWAYS HAVE ON YOUR BLOG…ahhh….:))
    How do you make it..? :))

Well..I’ll be HAppy…to see a comment FROM YOU….on my blog..:)
    If you have some time pls take a look =D I know you’re busy!! 😀