Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Benefits of Blending Barley

It is the case with certain grains that if you attempt to season them, the seasoning just slips right off. The solution? Why, it’s my answer to everything these days:

Blend it!

Barley is definitely one of those hard-to-season grains. So the other night, I threw a serving of cooked barley– along with the seasonings– into the food processor. What resulted was a perfectly-flavored barley pilaf.

With Almond-Milk Curry (recipe coming soon)

Some unrelated news– Look what I found while out running this morning:

dead butterfly

I saw it on my way out, but didn’t pick it up (because who really wants to go for a run holding a dead butterfly in one hand?!). But it was still there when I came back. Poor thing… but isn’t it (he? she?) gorgeous?

1. sweetpotato says:

I went through a phase where I would eat zucchini seasoned with Italian seasoning for lunch everyday. Mmmm!

2. Emma says:

mmm yummy eats! I love the look of that curry and look forward to hearing the recipe soon!

3. Danielle says:

What a beautiful monarch butterfly… poor thing too!

Sounds like it’d be a very tasty grain side dish, I really should try barley soon!

4. Green Eyes, Green Heart says:

What a gorgeous butterfly! I can never get over the beauty of nature!

As for your food philosophy, “blend it,” at least it’s not “put some Windex on it!”

O-pa! 😀

5. Erin of Care to Eat says:

I love plump butter beans! I always forget to buy them though! :)
    I’ll be in Austin next month – wanna grab a bite?

6. Joanna says:

running with a dead butterfly might have been a little weird, but i’d expect it out of you haha jk

that curry looks so delicious. i have yet to ever try a curry. can’t wait to see your recipe for it.

7. loveofoats.com says:

wow – that butterfly is amazing – so sad it is dead :(

8. Gina says:

almond milk curry?!? i can’t wait!
    what a gorgeous butterfly!
    zucchini is my favorite 😀
    have a great sunday!

9. Wholesome Foodie says:

Wow, poor butterfly. So beautiful, even in death!
    What are the vegetables in the second picture?

10. magpie says:

I tried to make almond milk curry once and it failed miserably! I always have to use coconut milk. I’m excited for your recipe 😀

11. Agnesss =) says:

HEy Katie!!!!!!!

Great eats =DD and I love the presentation =)) sooo clearly and nice..:))

Well..blended grains…I used to enjoy them as well :DD

Butterfly……poor…but SOOO beautiful….!! They’re amazzzing animals..!!

If you have time will you visit my new post….??
    I’d be happy..you know…:)

Enjoy the day!!

12. lighterportions says:

I still have yet to do any of the crazy blending you do but that’s a GREAT idea to get the seasonings all in there. I HAVE to remember to try it!

And that butterfly is very pretty :(

13. aTxVegn says:

Ketchup on butter beans? Oh, well, I used to put it on green beans.

14. Vivacious Vegan says:

I just found out about butter beans a few months ago and now I’m obsessed. I’ll have to give them a try with some ketchup next time.

15. River says:

Katie the blending machine! :)

When I was about 4 or 5, there was a black and yellow butterfly that came to our yard every day, and I used to say I was going to marry it when I grew up.

What? Lisa Simpson can say she’s going to marry a carrot but I can’t marry a butterfly? 😛

16. jessy says:

aw, that poor little guy. he’s too pretty!

hooray for more blended barley! and i see those butter beans. mmmmmm, they’re my favorite! yay! your roasted zucchini looks addictively awesome! i’m totally gonna have to try spicing some up that way! thanks, CCV!

17. Meg says:

What a great idea to blend them! Beautiful butterfly!Poor thing!

18. just me says:

i saw one of those butterflies yesterday too!! so beautiful..i’m sad their numbers are dwindling so…but they’re nice while they are here!

and the foods look great! can’t wait to see more cupcakes!

19. Halie says:

It looks like that is a female monarch. Males have a black spot on a vein on both their hind wings. Poor thing, she was beautiful.

Great way to imporvise with these meals!

20. funwithyourfood says:

i cannot wait for more cupcakes :)

teddy

21. Ricki says:

Your curry looks great–look forward to reading the recipe! And poor butterfly. . .but very pretty :)

22. Adele says:

Blending stuff is awesome… but my blender gets so much use it seems to spend most of its time waiting to be washed.

Those plates in the first photo are cool, btw.

23. Veg-a-Nut says:

I have been on a zucchini kick too as you can tell from my post, but to tell you the truth barley is what I have been craving for a couple days. Thanks for the push to make some. :o)

24. CeciLiA says:

Sounds like someone is ‘abusing’ her blender, haha! 😀 Your meals are awesome … I love barley … they remind me of risotto (they are both fat and chewy) … mmmm, risotto … I can eat that everyday and not get sick of it. OH!!! :O Do you have a great risotto recipe?? Please say you do 😀

Toodles for now, cya in ya next post :)

25. shellyfish says:

Blendy goodness – such a good idea! And I wuv your mariposa!

26. jelymo says:

that curry looks good. not to gross anyone out, but i collect dead bugs for art projects. i am often baffled by the artistic detail in nature.

27. Bianca says:

Butter beans with ketchup? That’s something new! I love how you’re always so creative with your choices of dipping sauces!

28. Nikki Douglas says:

Sad about the butterfly – you know butterflies are also sometimes faeries in disguise. I hope it’s not a dead faerie!

29. Catherine says:

Blended barley? How interesting! Do you mind my asking what spices you used??

30. ChocolateCoveredVegan says:

Halie–

Thanks so much; I’d been wondering if there was a way to tell!

31. shelby says:

I know it’s not funny that it died and everything but you made me crack up laughing when I read about running with a dead butterfly. I can just picture it now hahaha

32. TavoLini says:

What a pretty monarch–glad you commemorated her/him 😉

That curry looks fantastic! I’m cuckoo for curry.