Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Benefits of Blending Barley

It is the case with certain grains that if you attempt to season them, the seasoning just slips right off. The solution? Why, it’s my answer to everything these days:

Blend it!

Barley is definitely one of those hard-to-season grains. So the other night, I threw a serving of cooked barley– along with the seasonings– into the food processor. What resulted was a perfectly-flavored barley pilaf.

With Almond-Milk Curry (recipe coming soon)

Some unrelated news– Look what I found while out running this morning:
dead butterfly

I saw it on my way out, but didn’t pick it up (because who really wants to go for a run holding a dead butterfly in one hand?!). But it was still there when I came back. Poor thing… but isn’t it (he? she?) gorgeous?

1. sweetpotato says:

I went through a phase where I would eat zucchini seasoned with Italian seasoning for lunch everyday. Mmmm!

2. Emma says:

mmm yummy eats! I love the look of that curry and look forward to hearing the recipe soon!

3. Danielle says:

What a beautiful monarch butterfly… poor thing too!

Sounds like it’d be a very tasty grain side dish, I really should try barley soon!

4. Green Eyes, Green Heart says:

What a gorgeous butterfly! I can never get over the beauty of nature!

As for your food philosophy, “blend it,” at least it’s not “put some Windex on it!”

O-pa! 😀

5. Erin of Care to Eat says:

I love plump butter beans! I always forget to buy them though! 🙂
    I’ll be in Austin next month – wanna grab a bite?

6. Joanna says:

running with a dead butterfly might have been a little weird, but i’d expect it out of you haha jk

that curry looks so delicious. i have yet to ever try a curry. can’t wait to see your recipe for it.

7. says:

wow – that butterfly is amazing – so sad it is dead 🙁

8. Gina says:

almond milk curry?!? i can’t wait!
    what a gorgeous butterfly!
    zucchini is my favorite 😀
    have a great sunday!

9. Wholesome Foodie says:

Wow, poor butterfly. So beautiful, even in death!
    What are the vegetables in the second picture?

10. magpie says:

I tried to make almond milk curry once and it failed miserably! I always have to use coconut milk. I’m excited for your recipe 😀

11. Agnesss =) says:

HEy Katie!!!!!!!

Great eats =DD and I love the presentation =)) sooo clearly and nice..:))

Well..blended grains…I used to enjoy them as well :DD

Butterfly……poor…but SOOO beautiful….!! They’re amazzzing animals..!!

If you have time will you visit my new post….??
    I’d be know…:)

Enjoy the day!!

12. lighterportions says:

I still have yet to do any of the crazy blending you do but that’s a GREAT idea to get the seasonings all in there. I HAVE to remember to try it!

And that butterfly is very pretty 🙁

13. aTxVegn says:

Ketchup on butter beans? Oh, well, I used to put it on green beans.

14. Vivacious Vegan says:

I just found out about butter beans a few months ago and now I’m obsessed. I’ll have to give them a try with some ketchup next time.

15. River says:

Katie the blending machine! 🙂

When I was about 4 or 5, there was a black and yellow butterfly that came to our yard every day, and I used to say I was going to marry it when I grew up.

What? Lisa Simpson can say she’s going to marry a carrot but I can’t marry a butterfly? 😛

16. jessy says:

aw, that poor little guy. he’s too pretty!

hooray for more blended barley! and i see those butter beans. mmmmmm, they’re my favorite! yay! your roasted zucchini looks addictively awesome! i’m totally gonna have to try spicing some up that way! thanks, CCV!

17. Meg says:

What a great idea to blend them! Beautiful butterfly!Poor thing!

18. just me says:

i saw one of those butterflies yesterday too!! so beautiful..i’m sad their numbers are dwindling so…but they’re nice while they are here!

and the foods look great! can’t wait to see more cupcakes!

19. Halie says:

It looks like that is a female monarch. Males have a black spot on a vein on both their hind wings. Poor thing, she was beautiful.

Great way to imporvise with these meals!

20. funwithyourfood says:

i cannot wait for more cupcakes 🙂