Pancake Sundays

When I was a little girl, my mom did all the cooking during the week. But on Sundays, it was Daddy’s job to take care of breakfast. Sunday mornings always found us eating like royalty– crepes, waffles, French toast… but there was no doubt as to my dad’s specialty: Pancakes.

Fast forward many years.

CCK is sitting at the table, grey hair framing her face, doing crossword puzzles while her grandchildren play by the fire. Uh oh… you fast-forwarded a bit too far!

Rewind some.

That’s better.

Now, back to the story.

Although my younger sister and I are both grown, on many Sundays one can still find our dad in the kitchen, cooking up a pancake feast for Mom and himself. Last Sunday, I decided to join the flapjack fun by making my own vegan pancakes to give Dad’s a run for their money. (Actually I made my pancakes on Saturday so they’d be ready to eat Sunday morning. I hate cooking when I’m hungry, especially right when I get back from working out.)

I know there are some great pancake recipes out there (my apple raisin pancakes recipe included!). But since I hadn’t made pancakes in a while, I opted to keep things simple, using Hodgeson Mills Buckwheat pancake mix and just adding water and a tiny bit of EnerG egg replacer.

Accompanied by homemade Tofu Scramble and a big bowl of Apple Pie Pudding, this made for a perfect post-run breakfast:

vegan breakfast

I ended up spreading some of the pudding on top of the pancakes, to the delight of my taste buds.

hodeson mills pancakes

After finishing the tofu scramble, my chopsticks were conveniently right there; it would’ve been silly to walk all the way over to the drawer to get a fork, no?

So…

pancakes chopsticks

Oh yes I did!

Ooh, and on another day, I put the pancakes straight into the pudding. Apple Bread Pudding!

1. happyherbivore.com says:

yum! SIGN ME UP. I love putting apples in my food 🙂

2. Vegetation says:

Haha, I love the image of Grandma CCV, you got a chuckle out of me.

Pancakes are the one thing my family consistently beg me for, so I must be an okay pancake maker. I should try some buckwheat ones. I made some out of a packet once and they were kind of eeky, but I want to try some handmade buckwheat ones, especially now that I see how fluffy and thick yours are (mine came out more like crepes).

3. eatingbender says:

Yummy yummy in my tummy :o) I love the pancake and pudding pie combo!

4. megan says:

i love your posts- they are so fun! can’t wait for the crepe themed recipe!

5. shelby says:

Mmm, I NEED to try that apple pie pudding! Especially with pancakes mixed in. Your meals are so amazing. Sure I make my meals all pretty and out of a cookbook but your always look like they taste the best.

Oo and I can’t wait for the crepes!!

6. Erin of Care to Eat says:

Heaven.

7. Anonymous says:

Mmm apple pie pudding and pancakes yumm yumm!
    So do you live at home or were you just home for the weekend?

8. Becca says:

Ahh! Pancakes are the BEST! And it looks so yummy with your apple pie pudding!

9. Lauren says:

Mmm! I love pancakes! 🙂 That breakfast looks amazing!

10. ConsiderEatz! says:

Your to funny, Im loving the chopsticks! Pancakes look yummy 🙂

11. Joanna says:

i love how you ate them with chopsticks!! just the fact that you have chopsticks in the house makes me happy.

that’s such a touching story of you and your family. did your dad try your pancakes? i hope he did because they look marvelous.

12. Ricki says:

Apples and pancakes. . .couldn’t be a better combination! I’m sure you’ll be an adorable grandma, too 😉

13. Brooke says:

i love pancakes, so much! the apple pudding as a spread is very creative.

and i love your sunday tradition. traditions are my favorite 🙂

14. magpie says:

That is AWESOME.

My dad used to make breakfast on the weekends too. I miss it!

15. CeciLiA says:

Wow, it’s so awesome that your dad is the ‘pancake maker’ in your household … my dad on the other hand, has to YET set his foot in the kitch 😉 His specialty is … buying us ‘naughty foods’ during grocery trips when my mum is not with us 😀 (ah, childhood memories!)

P.S.: Totally made your the apple pie pudding today … so GLAD that mine turn out like yours!! By the way, what is the weight of one of those applesauce containers?? Applesauce comes in a BIG jar here in Aus … btw, did I mention the pudding is FREAKING filling?!!!?!! It’s UH SO TASTY though 😀

16. CeciLiA says:

OH YEA!! Did I just BEAT everyone’s arse?!!?! I mean, am I the FIRST person to make this duh-licious pudding!! SCORE!!!!! 😀

17. MizFit says:

sign me up to come over for breakfast!

Im in the car 🙂 txt me directions..

18. Julie says:

I love pancakes. This is so pitty we don’t have this tradition over here in France. I hate eating croissants for my breakfast. Your breakfast is huge: pancakes, scramble tofu and apple pie pudding at the same time? Waouh ! Anyway, I love your blog.

19. miss v says:

my dad always did breakfast on sundays too. 🙂 pancakes and pudding sound like a dynamite combo.