Obsession: Faux-Yo

I still have no idea how I was so lucky that the Vita-mix company gave me one of their amazing machines completely free of charge. Until the package actually showed up at my house I didn’t fully believe it was true. Thank you, Vita-mix! Since I already owned a Vita-mix, I gave my sister the new one as a Christmas present. Does that qualify me for Sister of the Year?

Perhaps she’ll finally stop bringing it up that I used to bite her

Our First Meeting

Close your eyes and picture yourself in New York City. Imagine it’s a sticky, sweltering day. You’ve been walking for hours under the hot, relentless summer sun, and your parched throat is screaming for something cool and refreshing. (Work those imaginations, people! I know it’s a stretch… unless you happen to live in Florida.) Then, out of the corner of one eye, you spot it– an oasis in the desert. “Luscious Fruit Ice Cream, All-Natural and Vegan” proclaims the street sign, and your suddenly-sprightly feet can’t take you fast enough.

The above is a true story that took place three summers ago. My mom and I had been walking for over two hours in the humid NYC sun, and we were beat. Then, sandwiched between a Wendy’s and a CVS, we spotted Bonobo’s, with its enticing street sign. Bonobo’s is a raw vegetarian fast-food cafe (yes, they do exist!), specializing in food made from fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, and seeds. On the day of our visit, we opted for their amazing all-fruit ice cream (I chose blueberry, and my mom picked strawberry). This refreshing treat was the perfect pick-me-up to remedy a day spent in the heat. After savoring my sweet indulgence, I was intrigued as to how it was made. So I ambled up to the counter and engaged the waitress in conversation. “How do you make ice cream with fruit as the only ingredient?” my curious mind asked. And thus was I introduced to the Vita-mix for the first time. Ever since that first encounter, I knew someday I had to have a Vita-mix! And when that “someday” came, I was eager to make Bonoboish ice cream of my own.

That’s how “Faux-Yo” was created.

“Faux-Yo”

I’m not going to write down a “recipe” because it’s so basic that pretty much anyone could come up with it (and many of you probably have!).  But the idea is: throw a bunch of frozen fruit in the Vita with a tiny bit of milk of choice (a few tablespoons oughta do the trick; often, I don’t use any at all) and blend away. Berries, mangoes, bananas… anything goes! Banana all-fruit ice cream is especially amazing if you add a few chocolate chips!! And, if you really want that swirly fro-yo consistency, try squirting the ice cream out of a plastic bag with a small hole cut in the side! 🙂.

Is it a smoothie? An ice cream? A waffle-topper, oatmeal mix-in, fruit dip?
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes! It’s the do-it-all dip! The only things it isn’t is full of unhealthy fats and sugar.
Above, blueberry-banana (ingredients: blueberries and bananas)
Below, raspberry-peach (ingredients: raspberries and peaches)

Below: Vita-mixing (like my new word?) in bulk. I freeze the extra cups, then thaw for about 15-20 minutes before I want to consume them (or microwave for a few seconds, if I’m in a hurry).
The Vita-mix is so powerful that you don’t even need to add any extra liquid to the blender, so it yields a thick-n-creamy result, not one that is watered down from too much liquid or ice. All you have to do is throw in the ingredients, blend for about 10 seconds, and the almost-too-good-to-be-true blender will provide you with a delicious ice cream! Chocolate chips, raisins, banana, peanut butter, berries, veggies… all this and more can go into the Vita-mix. The possibilities are endless.

Above, I’m experimenting with strawberry-peach ice cream. I love nothing better than morphing into a Mad Scientist in the kitchen, and the Vita-mix provides me with ample opportunity to do so.

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Aimee says:

You look so happy with your Vitamix and your shirt is almost the same color as your ice cream:)

2. Amira says:

I wanna vita-mix!!
    I actually tried something similar this morning in my normal food processor with banana and mango but i had to add orange juice to make it work so it wasn’t as thick as i wooda liked
    All your combinations look incredible (specially the strawberry ice-cream one-YUM)
    And the idea of blending peanut butter with chocolate as an ice-creamy treat is making me positively giddy!
    Can’t wait for the chocolate vita-mix post- yeah!
    Have a fantastic day lovely!

3. blueskyworld says:

OMG! those ice cream looks delicious!
    i wish i could try vitamix!!! =]

hi, i’m a “new” blogger!
    nice to meet you and i hope we could become friends 😉

4. DJ says:

I need some of that raspberry-peach ice-cream! Lucky you!

5. Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) says:

I love my Vita-Mix, but the ice-cream I make never freezes well. I need to try your just fruit version and freeze in little cups. Brilliant!

6. Cody says:

Raspberry-peach for me too, please!

…now I want a VitaMix. And I haven’t even broken in the SmartStick immersion blender I got for Christmas yet.

7. Mrs. LC says:

Wow, soo lucky on the Vita Mix! I think I’d be beside myself if I owned one! And your fruit ice cream creations sound awesome!

You look gorgeous and so happy in that picture of you! 🙂

8. T says:

I like the idea of freezing things in bulk, that sounds so convenient! And strawberries + peach = heaven… yummm

9. shelby says:

All this teasing with the vitamix!!! Argg, I will just have to beg and plead for my mom to get one! I love love love the idea for ice cream. Plus with only one or two ingredients…could it get an healthier?!

10. eatingbender says:

You’re so cute! I love how you told the Vita-Mix story. I have been waiting for this week and I can’t wait to read all about your adventures together :o) Thanks for the tip on freezing the ice cream for later!

11. Megan says:

im pretty sure YUM is all i can say.

i want to mix that in every single thing i eat. and i mean EVERY single thing. mmm 🙂

12. laci says:

Wow I can’t believe it, 100% fruit ice cream! And I thought I created an amazing concoction with frozen fruit,soymilk, vanilla and the optional hint of sweetener! You go Katie! =) (I’m dying for the next chocolate post!)

13. sweetpotato says:

I NEED a Vita-Mix!!!

14. Marianne says:

Raspberry-peach is one of my favourite combinations! If only I too had a magical Vitamix machine to make the true stuff. Looks awesome!

15. ConsiderEatz! says:

This needs to be my birthday present.
    “MOOOOOOMMM!!!!”

16. herbstsonne says:

Arrgh! Between you and Hannah and Jess all posting about your Vita-Mixes, I am so jealous!! XD I can’t wait to see what you do with it!

17. *Andrea* says:

i need a vitamix! i actually just saw an infomercial for the ‘magic bullet’ and thought i saw you mention it once on your blog. it looked so cool! anyways your icecream smoothies always look deeeelish! great fruity combos.. i’m excited for the next chocolate post 🙂

18. River says:

Giving your sister the Vitamix should definitely make up for biting her!

Our Magic Bullet is terrible at making frozen fruit ice cream, and it needs a lot of liquids so it never yields a thick-n-creamy result.

You look so happy with your Vitamix, you two were meant to be. The Vitamix people should hire you as their spokesperson! 🙂

19. sweetandfit says:

i LOVE the do-it-all dip…. i could see myself using it on waffles, in oatmeal, throwing in some yogurt, or just by itself even!

20. Melissa says:

Oh wow. That looks sooo good!
    I need to get one of those!