The Adventures of Broccoli Girl, Part Two

Honestly, I think I like broccoli just as much as I like chocolate. But I doubt anyone would read a blog entitled “Broccoli-Covered Katie.” Somehow, it just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

Unlike the elder George Bush, I’ve always loved this tree-like green vegetable. When I was in first grade and my doctor asked about my favorite food, I told her it was broccoli. (Later, when my sister said her favorite food was cauliflower, the doctor informed my mom she was recommending her for Mom of the Year.)

So who wants to join me for today’s Broccoli Adventure? Are you brave enough? It doesn’t require much packing– just bring along your Vitamix, food processor, hand blender, or regular blender.

No-Cream Of Broccoli Soup

• 2 eight-oz packages mushrooms, such as baby bellas
  • 2 packages broccoli florets (500 grams raw)
  • 2 cups broth – I use Pacific brand mushroom broth
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 2 tsp salt, or to taste
  • Some of the broccoli soaking liquid (I usually use about 3/4cup, but if you want your soup even thicker, you can add less.)
  • 1 cup milk of choice (If you want it extra creamy, switch the amounts of mushroom broth and milk of choice. You can also add some oil or vegan butter if you’re not a fan of fat-free soup.)

In a covered dish, either microwave your broccoli in water for about 9 minutes OR cook on the stovetop. Meanwhile, put the mushrooms, garlic, broth, and salt in a pot, and cook the mushrooms over medium heat. Then add the broccoli to the mushrooms. Also add the desired amount of soaking liquid at this time. Stir together, then add your milk. Transfer the soup to your blender, or pulverize with a hand blender.  I only blend this a little bit, as I love it when it’s not completely smooth.

Fusion of two soups– Noodle Soup and Cream of Broccoli Soup (In reality, it’s just cream of broccoli soup with pasta added. The soup made for a nice, thick pasta sauce.)

Or add chickpeas!

1. glidingcalm says:

you never cease to amaze me with your creativity CCV! delicious, healthy, clever food! love it!

2. ttfn300 says:

ooh, for a second there, i expected to see broccoli and chocolate in your vitamix 🙂 soup looks lovely! i especially like the addition of chickpeas

3. Nicole (anotheronebitesthecrust.wordpress.com) says:

I love broccoli!! I also love your photoshop jobs 🙂

4. cherry_lips says:

OMG your blog is so cool!! im obsessed!

5. blueskyworld says:

you’re so creative!
    i can’t wait until I try this because I absolutely adore brocoli too!

loving the jocalats although the only kind I’ve tried is mint. I can’t find any other flavor =/

6. cherry_lips says:

how can i follow your blog? i can’t find the damn button :S

7. Katie says:

That soup looks so yummy! I haven’t had broccoli soup in YEARS, so thanks for the recipe!

8. Ruby Red Vegan says:

Nuh uh! Chocolate mint is better than plain chocolate! Hehe. Normally I think we always agree on stuff.

Anyway. I also heart broccoli. This post is so awesome! I love your broccoli stories! CCV, you are too funny. I also love looking at your meal pictures. I need to start eating plain seitan with ketchup, because for some reason it sounds so appetizing when you post about it, even though you probably think it is really simple.

Hehe, the “tiny tummy” comment at the end made me think of what we learned in my advanced nutrition class this week. Some stomachs can expand up to 1.5 quarts, and some even more! I bet I fit in the “even more” category, too — I can make enormous piles of veggies etc. disappear. Practice makes perfect! 🙂

Oooh, and I’m so serious, girl, please do keep your eyes peeled for Justin’s Maple Almond Butter. Just keep looking at all the different Whole Foodses you can find…and you will be hooked.

9. Amira says:

oh yum broccoli rocks!
    i luv broccoli soup!
    & that is so funny, your mum should be given mum of the year for those choices!lol

10. Marianne says:

I’ve always like broccoli – I could never understand why it got such a bad rap! How can you hate the little green trees?! And love that soup recipe – mushroom soup is awesome, as is cream of broccoli. Combine them together? Yes please!

11. Vegyogini says:

I love broccoli soup…yum! Thank you for the recipe, CCV!

12. *Andrea* says:

is it just me or is there a small white heart in the broccoli soup picture with the jocolat bar? hehe. love your clever combo and you mom totally should win an award 😉 when i was little the only way i would eat veggies is if they were doused in parmesan cheese or oil

13. Lily Girl says:

I’m just going to join in on your marveling on how you pack it all in! I *wish* I could eat as much as you, but alas my body would not love me back. Such is life, I’ll just have to live vicariously through your blog 😀

14. Eddie G says:

Rock Star!

15. Vegetation says:

I LOVE broccoli! If there’s whole veggies on our plates, 9 times out of 10 there’s broccoli (we’re also in love with broccolini, the baby version). Mmmm broccoli!

16. DJ says:

Yeah, sorry if I sounded sceptical, Katie!!! We all love broccoli ‘trees’ loads in our house so this soup would go down a treat!

17. Kiki says:

Yeah, broccoli! I love it too. That soup looks fabulous. CCV (or BCV?) outdoes herself again!

18. shelby says:

I LOVE broccoli! It’s one of my favorites. I don’t like it raw though, just steamed and cooked any other way.

Soup looks great btw!

19. strongandhealthy says:

Wow, that broccoli soup looks great! You crack me up! So creative!!!

20. Fitnessista says:

i’m constantly in awe of your creations! that looks delicious 😀
    thank goodness i have a vitamix now, so i can make some!!!
    have a wonderful weekend!