Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Sugar and Spice and everything Nice

That’s what Banana Spice Pudding (or yogurt) is made of.

“Everything Nice” Banana Spice Pudding
(I call this “yogurt” since it’s healthier than traditional pudding)

• 3 level teaspoons agar flakes
  • 1 and 1/3 cup milk of choice (I use almond milk)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon, or more if desired
  • a tiny dash salt (1/16th tsp)
  • frozen banana (I only use about 1/4 of a large banana, as I wasn’t looking to make a banana pudding, rather more of a spice yogurt with a hint of banana. For a strong banana flavor, use more banana.)
  • sweetener of choice, to taste

To make the base, measure the milk of choice into a pot. Mix in the agar flakes and let the two sit together for about 5 minutes before you turn on the heat. Slowly bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer until the agar flakes pretty much dissolve (about 5-8 more minutes). Turn off heat and leave for a few minutes to cool, then put in the fridge (uncovered is fine). When it’s cooled and gelled, the fun part begins… Scoop out the agar base into your blending gadget-of-choice (the Magic Bullet is GREAT for this). Add the banana, cinnamon, salt, and sugar (if using), and blend away. Scoop the creamy pudding into a bowl. At this point, I like to put it in the freezer for 10-20ish minutes, because I like it super-cold. But that’s just a personal preference. It’s just as yummy at room temperature or even heated. For more on how to work with agar, check out: “Working with Agar” Tutorial.

Banana Spice Pudding accompanied by a Love Muffin (recipe to come in a future post) and some fake flowers (I’m such a dork!)

Ah, peanut butter, my true love (don’t tell chocolate!).

1. magpie says:

I love how when things have banana in them they don’t need extra sugar (for me at least – my mom would be like your mom). Sounds good!

2. shelby says:

Awesome recipe! And that love muffins looks delicious. I can’t wait for the recipe.

I was a HUGE Spice Girls fan. I knew all the dance moves, owned a doll or two (or five), watched the movie everyday, and still know all the words to their songs.
    Okay, I’m done embarassing myself now…

3. aredcardigan says:

hey hey hey i see Mr.MaraNatha!!! That’s my fav brand of peanut butter!!

mmmm bananas are good esp with peanut butter on warm toast!

4. Ricki says:

Love those puddings! Can’t wait for the muffin recipe. 🙂

5. aredcardigan says:

Awww shucks…thank you. Wouldn’t have been able to do it without all these wonderful hamsters in my life:) *beams

Why haven’t I thought of choc chips on the top! Good tip CCV!

6. Meg says:

I definitely have to try this! I love banana pudding. I think your dinner looks delicious!

7. blueskyworld says:

that chewy barley pilaf looks delicious~ where do you buy them??
    i would love to try!

8. herbivore says:

Yum that looks so good! I love soymilk, cinnamon, and bananas (thats exactly what I had in my oatmeal this morning. Yum!

9. Fitnessista says:

what an amazing recipe! and since i finally have agar flakes i can try it! whoo hoo!
    thanks again for another genius creation, miss ccv! 😀

10. Animal-Friendly says:

That sounds so good! I can’t wait to make a big batch of the banana pudding to enjoy on top of waffles or as a quick dessert (with PB of course!) through the week.

11. Eddie G says:

All that sounds great!

12. aredcardigan says:

You are SO not gonna believe this but I just had one after commenting on ya site….just do it do it!

Today the banana was juuuuust right, mr.Maranatha melted nicely on warm toast…

sorry hun:(

13. T says:

Banana pudding is one of those childhood treats that just makes you sooo irrationally happy! I would love this with some nilla wafers. Yum!

14. Buddha says:

I am old fashion.
    I love my banana with ice cream chocolate syrup and lots of trimmings!
    Mmmmm :)!!!

15. Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) says:

Oh Katie, that looks so good and creamy. I’ve always feared the agar flakes. Not sure why. I must try them…soon. I love the spice factor with a little banana essence. 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

16. Nicole ( says:

Mmmm, I still need to try out one of your pudding recipes. They look so gooooooooood and creamy!

17. Kelly says:

I must be the only veg*n in the world who doesn’t like banana flavored things! That said, this still looks excellent, in theory. 😉 And cheers for admitting to still liking the Spice Girls! Sometimes you just need crazy silly girly dance music in your life.

18. Vegetation says:

OH YUM! I just know I’m going to have to make this one!

19. Sal says:

Oh, maybe you can try recreate the infamous banana pudding (non veg, by the way) from sugar sweet sunshine – the ones with the wafers in dem 🙂 I miss them SO SO much! Gawd!

20. Kiki says:

Sounds great! Maybe I’ll make this one right! And haha, I love the Spice Girls! I had a little spice girls bike with a radio on it.