The Future Mrs. Butternut Squash

Our future together looks bright (bright orange!)

First things first: A lot of you asked how I got the squash to look so “fry-like.” It’s thanks to this cool gadget, called a “fry cutter,” that looks something like this:

“Butter(nut) Me Up” Fries
  • 1 Butternut Squash
  • salt
  • cinnamon (optional, but awesome)
  • oil or oil spray
Cut the squash into fry shapes (using a fry cutter or a knife). Preheat the oven to 425 F. Put the fries and spices into a big Ziploc-type bag and mix. Line a baking sheet with tin foil, then toss in a little oil or spray with a bit of oil spray. (Wipe with a paper towel so it’s even on the foil.) Spread your fries on the baking sheet and shove ’em in the oven. Bake for 30-40 minutes, depending on how crispy you like your fries, and depending on how many fries you put on the baking sheet.

Tags:

1. alaina says:

haha, i can eat a whole head of cauliflower by myself 😉 i loooove packin away the veggies.

2. Kiki says:

My tummy certainly would be happy if you were my personal chef! Thanks for the fries recipe. The ones I make just uses oil, salt+pepper and are lacking the kick cinnamon would give. Nom nom. Hope you had a great Sunday!

3. Eddie G says:

Yum! I haven’t tried Lightlife chicken strips…I’m still stuck on Morning Star Farms 🙂

4. Ricki says:

They do sound yummy–and what a cool gadget! I like Joaquin as well–great actor, vegan, but now that he’s retired from acting and is “singing,” he’s just a bit too “out there” for me, I think!

5. laci says:

Katie-
    I tried those fries yesterday and they were amazing! I had some creamy cheeze whiz dip (from the ultimate uncheese cookbook) leftover and used that for dipping… they’re like canday sweet! (But take FOREVER to chop and peel !:( ) I’ve enver seen that contraption but since BNSFs will definalty be a lagre part of my fav. foods in the near future, I’ll be on the lookout! And that meal looks fabulous… I need to try wheatberriers and ween myself off the traditional oats! =)

6. cinnamonapple says:

I think I definitely need to start making those fries–amazing!

7. kirsten says:

you eat the most well rounded meals 🙂 Where did you get that fry cutter?

8. Mrs. LC says:

yummmm your bnut fries look so good!! Actually that whole meal looked delish, I really want to try wheatberries! I just haven’t found them yet!

9. Jess - The Domestic Vegan says:

Cool! Those fries look awesome!

10. Katie says:

SQUASH! The name alone makes me laugh. In a good way…I love my seasonal veggies!

11. shelby says:

Mmm, I’ve yet to try cinnamon on top but yum! Katie, you always have the best ideas.

My tummy would be happy with just the veggies, I swear if I could only live on veggies I would!

12. Meg says:

Love the fry cutter! I definitely need to get one. I also need to have some butternut fries soon!

13. Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) says:

I just love your blog Katie. I really want one of those fry-cutters. I use my mandolin. It’s great, but the fry-cutter looks easier to use. I love putting cinnamon on my fries! YUM. Don’t even get me started on the broccoli…it’s my favorite green veggie. Our house always stinks.
    Have a good week. 🙂

14. selina says:

yes. Joaquin Phoenix rocks my world. yum!

and so do those fries! yum!

15. River says:

Not sure what’s going on with Joaquin Phoenix right now. He’s rapping?

Anyway, I must get me one of those easy fry-cutters. And next time we go to the grocery store, we’re buying a Mr. Butternut Squash!

16. Marianne says:

Fry-cutter eh? Can’t say I’ve ever seen one of those before. Looks interesting.

And your meal does look tasty! But I don’t think I could eat that much in one sitting.

17. erica says:

your chocolate covered meal of the day is making my stomach growl.

18. Lauren says:

i lovve butternut squash fries! i can eat the whole squash myself, but i usually try to make sure i’m sharing them with someone haah 😉
    that cutter is so cool though! im sure it saves SO much time!!

19. Kiersten says:

what a cool kitchen gadget, i need to find one of those

20. Maggie says:

That’s my secret ingredient too 😀 I also put oregano. You should try it!