Summer Lovin’

When I was in fourth grade, my sister and I became obsessed with the movie Grease. For a while, we watched the tape every single day. That summer, my friends and I even put on a mini-play of Grease. I won the coveted role of Sandy… but we made my poor little sister play Danny! Actually, she was so ecstatic to be included with the “cooler older kids” that she didn’t mind. I wonder, though, if we traumatized her for life.

Is this going to come back to haunt me in a family therapy session someday?

None of this really has anything to do with today’s post, except for the title.  Summer is still a far-off glimmer in the future. We haven’t even gotten through the “in like a lion” part of March yet. But the past two months have treated Dallas to a few days where it felt like summer. I took full advantage of the fleeting warmth to whip up some summery meals.  What comes to mind for you when you think of “summer food”? Personally, I think of coleslaw, beans, and fresh fruit– true barbecue food (minus the yucky Texas brisket).  So, on the warmest day we’ve had so far this year (it actually reached 80 at one point!), I made myself a Sumptuous Summer Feast.

Bush’s chili beans, kale chips, a Rudi’s English Muffin with vegan butter, fresh cantaloupe, and the pièce de résistance: quickie coleslaw (purple cabbage mixed with vegan mayo, such as Nayonaise, then left in the fridge to marinate for a few hours).

I threw together the coleslaw at the last minute, but I ended up liking it so much that I’ve since revisited the side dish numerous times. Such as the night below:

Quickie coleslaw, plump green peas (Steamfresh Singles), baked tofu in a soy-sauce marinade, and savory oatmeal.

Chocolate-Covered Song of the Day

You’re the One that I Want (Grease)

I don’t listen to “Summer Lovin'” when I run, as it’s not fast-paced enough for my liking. But I felt I still had to go with a Grease song. Luckily, the movie has a lot of great songs from which to choose. 🙂

1. Virginia says:

for summer food i always think of hot dogs on the grill (vegan, of course), watermelon, baked beans, coleslaw…ahhh, summer…it can’t get here soon enough!!

2. Vegyogini says:

Summer lovin’, happened so fa-ast…Summer lovin’, had me a bla-ast…

3. Erin says:

I love your love of mushy foods! So beautiful and tasty. I adore baked beans.

4. Elle says:

mmm i’ll be sure to let you know when i’ve blended up a big batch of blended barley (whoo alliteration!). summertime in california (home sweet home) always reminds me of fresh fruit – cherries, peaches, watermelon, frosty grapes, mmm… in the summertime i want to eat nothing but fresh fruit, and guacamole made from fresh avocados picked from the backyard with a drizzle of lime juice.

can’t wait!
    xoxo

5. imadedinner says:

Thanks for the earworm!

6. Nicole (anotheronebitesthecrust.wordpress.com) says:

I love Grease 😀 Now the songs will be stuck in my head.

7. I ♥ puggies says:

Yay for summer food! I lived in Wichita Falls for the summer in 2005 and visited Dallas a few times. I love Texas but don’t like certain things about it. I hate Texan drivers. Just about everyone had a lifted truck and thought they owned the road and I had a tiny little car and just tried to not get squashed. Also the barbeque…. I wasn’t veg then but barbeque is always gross. Anyway, your post reminded me of my 6 months in Wichita Falls. I can’t wait for summer to be here!

8. Heather McD (Heather Eats Almond Butter) says:

I loved Grease! Watched over and over and knew every lyric to every song…except for We Go Together– couldn’t quite get all those verses straight in my head. 🙂

Love the cabbage slaw Katie. Coleslaw is one of my favorite summertime foods. I’ll have to try this – the purple cabbage looks beautiful on all your plates.

9. Maggie says:

Everything looks good except the soggy muffin! Well, it looks good, but I don’t think I like soggy muffins. I do LOVE coleslaw though. Summer is a great time for food.

10. ttfn300 says:

happened so fast 🙂 i want my summer fruits back…

11. thecleanveggie says:

i LOVE all of your eats 🙂
    so colorful too.

haha i love your title. I think we all went through the Grease phase. too bad the second movie was horrible :\

12. Marianne says:

Grease brings back skating memories….oh Grease. I was so good at the hand jive when I was little 😉

13. Meg says:

That is the song that is the ring tone when my husband calls. We love Grease and I played Sandy in my 8th grade play.

You have me craving barbecue!

14. Kiersten says:

So how long did it take you to eat those peas with chopsticks?

15. Laci says:

Haha I loved Grease with my cousin when I was about 9 too! I <3 how you spread out you meals, but do you ever cook one-bowl kinda stuff? :0

16. Juliet says:

I love grease. I’m envious you played Sandra D! 🙂 Did you watch the reality show where they placed Sandy and Danny a few years ago? 😀 (oops did I just admit to that?).. thanks for making me think of it. I’m going to add some Grease Tunes to my ipod for the gym!

17. jodye says:

Ahh your post makes me long for summer even more than I already do. And i love the kale chips and english muffin, and purple cabbage!

And believe it or not, I had the SAME obsession with grease when I was little! I, too, watched it every day and dressed up as sandy, etc., etc.

18. River says:

Mr. Coleslaw is in great company at all times! Rubbing elbows with the Cool Kale Chips Gang and Miss Peachy-Keen Peach.

I love that song, Travolta sounds like he inhaled helium! 🙂

19. aTxVegn says:

Love the movie, love all the purple cabbage, and I LOVE Texas winters!

20. ChickPea says:

We used to watch Grease every day too! Were you Danny or Sandy? What? You mean not everyone acts/dances/sings along with the movie?