Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

I once was lost, but now am found

There’s nothing more heart-warming than arriving home, after a hard day, and being greeted by your loyal, four-legged best friends.  But the tail-wagging critter who met me today, after my morning run, wasn’t Henry or Molly. In fact, it was a dog I’d never seen before.

Wandering around our front yard, the collar-less pup looked just as hot and sweaty as I did!  So I brought him inside and poured big glasses/bowls of water for the both of us.  Once satiated, this dog morphed into a tireless ball of serious energy.

50sanddogbath-1462

Look at that smile!  Certainly, this has got to be the happiest dog in the world.

(Might he be related to the happiest baby in the world?  Or her equally-happy brother, the pink doughnut-eater?)

Exhibit A

adog2

Exhibit B

adog

Exhibit C

adog1

I called all the area vets, and—a few hours later—we were able to locate the dog’s frantic owners.  (Apparently the little guy had just gotten a bath, hence the lack of collar.)

1. Erin says:

I thought that was a dessert!
    So glad the dog had a happy ending! So cute!

2. Sarah says:

i’m impressed that you let a collarless mystery dog into your house. seriously, you’ve got a giant heart! what a relief that you were able to locate his proper home and that he had family looking for him.

and YUM. i am now going to be thinking of s’mores all week. maybe i should fire up the old gas stovetop and pop a marshmallow on a skewer …

3. Jemima says:

Oh my goodness, that honestly made my day. What a cute little story! <3 You have such a big heart :-)

4. zestycook says:

Cute story and cute pics… I am smiling

5. Ricki says:

Seems I’ve solved the comments problem. . . and that little guy is TOO CUTE!!! Love the 3 different angles! :)

6. Shelby says:

MUST HAVE THAT OATMEAL!

7. Aww, sweet pup. So glad you found the owner. S’mores oatemeal looks good. Off to visit Marianne now. :)

8. Elyse says:

Aww, I’m so glad to hear about such a happy ending! Growing up, I swear, dogs used to wander over to my mom’s house on a regular basis. I think they knew she fed our dogs real food or something. Anyway, I’m glad this pooch found its way to your loving house and was able to make it home safely after that. As for that s’mores oatmeal, I’m so joining the party! Looks delicious.

9. Awwww!! What a happy little cutie pie! He’s lucky he found you to help him get back home. Exhibit C is hilarious, and check out those long claws!

10. Oh oh oh, that dog does look like the happiest little thing alive! Sooo cute!! I’m sure he was very grateful for the water you gave him.

Wow, that s’mores oatmeal does look good! I need some vegan marshies so I can try it! Aww, and grahams too. Yummy.

11. Kiersten says:

Aw, that dog looks so happy that you rescued him. What a cutie!

12. cecilia says:

Oh what a CUTEEEEE doggie!!!!

Our dog got into that situation once before – he was just about to have his shower, my mum turned around to pick up the hose and the next minute (or second) he was no where to be found!! Thankfully, we found him later – working his ‘charm’ wif our neighbor’s dog (we called her his gf) 😀

Gotta love oatmeal with chocolates!!! Tsk tsk, two choc chips in a bowl – you are too cute for words Katie!!

p.s.: Did you get your multicolored door mat from Ikea?!!! Coz I have the SAME one as you!!! 😀 Great minds think alike eh?!!

13. ttfn300 says:

aww, what a cute pup, glad you were able to find his home!! :) mmm, smore’s oatmeal!!

14. Meg says:

That dog is adorable! He looks like a happy little fellow! What an amazing thing you did for taking him in for the day and finding his Momma and Pops. S’mores shenanigans look amazing, love it! :)
    Have a great rest-of-the-weekend!
    Love, Meg!

15. Meg says:

That is quite the HAPPY dog. So awesome that the owners were located and that you took care of the dog in the mean time! You rock girl!

16. marafaye says:

I totally saw Marianne’s oatmeal today and started drooling! AMAZING! So glad you found the poochie’s home!

17. Eddie G says:

Cute pup! You’re awesome :)

18. Brandi C says:

I LOVE Happy Endings, YAY!

19. Elle says:

AWWWWW, adorable.

the stars are okay, but i think my ex-bf has converted me to a permanent fan of the sharks. 😛

20. coco says:

cute pics!!!! such a warm welcome back home! :)

21. laci says:

I can’t believe you found a stray- I love all dogs, happy looking ones always brighten a smile! :-) Are you going to keep him for a while- what if no one shows up? Congrats for the new family member! 😀

22. Katie says:

What a sweetheart that little guy is! That was so nice of you to search for the dog’s owners. And s’mores oatmeal? *swoon*

23. He sure is cute and I’m glad you found his owners.. but his nails are soo long it makes me worried that he may no being taken care of the way he should be? I hope that’s not the case!

24. Diann says:

What a cute doggie, and I’m glad he was reunited with his owners.

25. orangepop says:

LOL I totally understand the “frantic” owners, having lost lil’ ol’ Jasper! Good thing he was in good hands… look at that tongue! Oh man, I hope your pups enjoyed the company but didn’t get too jealous!

26. Emmy says:

Hehee what a cute pup.

-E

27. broccolihut says:

Love the super-happy puppy pics. A similar thing happened to me early last semester. I think I wrote a post about it actually–“an unexpected houseguest.” Glad there was a happy ending!

28. jrsimon56 says:

Yup. I work there. So cool about your grandma! What did she study? I run the residence hall. It’s only been around since 1990, so I wouldn’t imagine your g-ma stayed there. Cool connection, though!
    That is such a cute puppy. Glad you found his rightful home, but what a fun surprise! He is uuber happy!

29. Marianne says:

That is one insanely adorable pup! It’s good you found his owners too, because I’m sure they were worried.

Thanks again for showcasing my version of your oats. And at least my team is in the playoffs 😉

30. Mihl says:

That’s a pretty coold dog! Glad to hear you took care of him and found his owners.

31. Mihl says:

I meant cool dog!

32. Vegetation says:

OH! OH MY!!! Most adorable puppy ever!!! (Right after Henry and Molly of course!!!!). I LOVE that tongue and his big happy face! I’m so glad you found his owners :)

Love the oatmeal too!

33. Kiki says:

Awww, what a cutie! He seriously looks like he’s smiling! Probably because he knew he was in CCV’s house!

Yum, I love the looks of those smores oats. I’ve made something similar using sweet and sara vegan marshmallows.

34. Mariposa says:

thank goodness you found them!!! i once ran into two big fun-loving dogs (they had collars though..) who were about 25 miles from home! i was out walking and they just bounded right over like i was their best buddy… turns out it wasnt the first time they had escaped. what makes it funnier is they are “neighbor dogs” so its like they planned their escape and went on an adventure together! Boy dogs though, i dont think it was a romantic adventure! i walked them to a near by house and the lady there gave me two leashes and i called animal rescue and then sat outside playing with them till the cops showed up. it was fun!! I LOVE LOVE dogs!

BTW- im hosting a giveaway over at my site.. check it out katie see if you want to enter!!! : )

35. Oh he’s so adorable! What was his name? I wish vegan marshmallows/ricemellow creme was more easily available over here in the UK, because s’more oatmeal sounds divine! Speaking of s’mores, last summer we had a barbecue where my boyf’s American housemate suggested the omnis eat some s’mores… cue blank looks from everyone except me (I knew!). We both enlightened the others and the omnis tucked into lots of melted marshmallows and chocolate – I ahd my favourite barbecued bananas instead.

36. Ha! Dog was like, “hmmm, I’m all nice and clean. I’m gonna go show off my shiny coat to the whole neighborhood.” Luckily, he ran into you and you were able to find his people. He’s such a cutie.

And that oatmeal….OMG!

37. Lisa C. says:

What a cute dog! Glad you got him back to his people!

38. Michaela says:

The title of your post I recognise from a song – I just couldn’t think which, so I typed it into google and your blog was the 5th item that came up!

(But I still didn’t find out the song :P)

39. Kristie says:

Aww animal saviour! What a cutie. Glad you found the little one’s home!

Aaaaand now I want smores really badly.

40. Virginia says:

i am so glad the puppy had a home and that you found it! he does look like one happy puppy!

41. Lauren says:

What a cute pup! I am so glad you found his owners!! That oatmeal looks YUM! :)

42. Laura says:

hahahaha AWWWW aren’t animals just the HAPPIEST creatures in the world?!?! He’s like “hey! I don’t know where my family is, but I’m ALIVE!!!!”

43. rhodeygirltests says:

i somehow missed the last few posts?!?!!?! so excited i just saw them though! those carrot cake muffins look soooo yummmmmmyyyyyyyyyyy!

44. JessieG says:

What a cute dog! I am so glad he was reunited with his owner. The s’mores oatmeal looks delicious too!

45. melisser says:

That is one happy dog! S’mores Oatmeal?! Yes, please!

46. Vaala says:

Oh man, such a cute dog :)