Call a Doctor, because I Falafel

(The jokes on this site get lamer every day.)

Thanks to my friend, Near East Falafel Mix (pictured below), I’ve enjoyed quite a few yummy meals in the past few months. It’s fun to make the burgers, as you get to use your hands to form patties. Gives new meaning to the phrase “finger food.” The box claims to yield ten patties, but we (my family members) like to make lotsa mini patties (30ish?). The more the merrier!

To transform the mushy mix into hearty burgers, all you do is put them on a baking sheet and stick them in the oven to broil. A few minutes later, you’re greeted with a subtly-spicy Middle Eastern feast in your kitchen.

falafel

mealo

falafel1

1. Janie says:

Hi Katie:)

I just emailed you my answers to CCV in a box. I sent it from my work email though.

kastj@darden.virginia.edu

Thanks for your blog! I can’t wait to try some of your recipes:)

2. coco says:

I love all your meals!! Great varieties, color, flavor, nutritional values and creativity!!! ;D

3. mihl says:

I looove falafel! And your meal of the day, which looks so colourful.

4. Ricki says:

You are TOO funny! I love reading your posts and always giggle :). I also love falafel–these sound terrific. Mmmm. . . I’m in a tofu scramble kind of mood, too. . . .

5. Emily says:

Katie,

I love, love, love falafel too. I tried them @ whole foods for the first time last summer, fell in love, and bought three boxes of fantastic foods falafel…I’m still working through them. What I like to do is make the whole box, freeze the raw balls, and then grab a few at a time and throw them in the oven. Much more convenient!

And broiled spaghetti squash? What a fab idea.

I’ll be posting my version of your tofu pudding Thursday. I know it is going to be delicious!

With Love,

Emily

6. You’re adorable. I think in my last comment on here I mentioned my grandpa- he used to say that all the time.

7. Romina says:

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while! Thanks for the review 🙂

8. miss v says:

i love your meal combos. they are so bright and dang tasty looking!

9. leslie says:

That looks great. I have always been wary of that falafel mix, but I will give it a try!

10. Carey says:

Hmmm… I hadn’t considered broiling them. When I’ve made falafel in the past, I’d either pan-fried them or baked them. When I baked them, they dried out too much…

11. jen molica says:

i like the near east stuff when i’m in a hurry, but i’m a sucker for falafel stand falafel, which you can only really get in israel or NYC. the best falafel sammich i ever had was at woody’s oasis in lansing, mi. i don’t even know if the restaurant exists anymore. they deck that sammich out in everything, even pickled turnips!

thanks for your compliments. i’m already a winner by just being me, but that contest you’re having is really awesome, you just can’t deny it.

12. Lauren says:

I love falafel! YUM!

13. brandi says:

love the falafel and the Spanish 🙂 I need all the practice I can get before heading to Honduras in July

14. justine says:

Haha!!! I thought the joke was Hilarious!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I am still laughing…..

~Justine

15. I love falafel too! It’s especially gorgeous stuffed into a pitta bread with salad, houmus, and tahini. Yum! I’ve been to the Leeds Festival (www.leedsfestival.com) a couple of times and the vegan/vegetarian food stall is by far one of the best (\i may be a little biased here). They sell big burgers in a wholemeal bun packed with salad and pittas stuffed with falafel and mounds of houmus for a good price (considering it’s vegan AND at a festival, where prices can sometimes be through the roof). My pitta was so big I had trouble holding it haha. If you want a meat burger, you usually end up with a thin burger in an economy white bread bun (although the omnis do get awesome looking crepes and things). I was SO happy when I saw how big the queues were for the vegan/vege stall!

16. Your post title reminds me of a joke my friend Cindy claims to have made up:
    Q: What did the sick chickpea say?
    A: I falafel!

And I need to remember to post a link to your giveaway when I post tonight. Damn, I keep forgetting.

17. runsarah says:

That tofu scramble looks delicious – I have yet to make one yet, but I want to soon – it may help me eliminate my egg consumption.

18. Eddie G says:

I love falafel! And I’m totally diggin’ the Spanglish 🙂

19. Sagan says:

You have such awesome dishes. And a really nice set of plates. Mmm falafel.

20. Marianne says:

Oh man, falafel just lends itself to too many jokes. I think my favourite, when asked how my falafel is, would be “It’s falafelly good”. Get it? Awfully good? I know I’m a cheeseball.

Damnit, now I want to make falafel for dinner!