Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

April Showers bring May Brides

No longer am I excited to:

· Turn 16 and get a car

· Turn 18 and be allowed to vote

· Turn 21 and be an adult

I’ve reached an age where I understand why my mom never wants another birthday.

Knowing I’ve passed all those milestones makes me feel oooooold!  And it doesn’t help matters when my friends—people my age!—start getting married and popping out babies.  My middle-school best friend is already married with two kids, and, just last month, an ex-boyfriend became a dad.  Somebody stop this ride!  It’s moving too darn fast!

Hyperventilation aside, it was an honor to be put in charge of cake-decorating for a friend’s bridal shower.  At least that enabled me to focus on the cake, not the meaning behind it! Don’t get me wrong; I love weddings… the friends, the food, the dancing(!). It’s just what weddings signify that scares me. No, not love and commitment; growing up! Ahhh! hehehe 😉

(The bride is made of fondant, the icing is the same as this vegan icing, and the cake is adapted from Vegan Cupcakes take over the World.  The veil and flowers are not edible.)

1. runsarah says:

That cake is too adorable — I would be so excited to receive it for my bridal shower!

2. Marianne says:

You wanna talk old? I’m turning the big 3-0 this year. EEK! I would say that the majority of my school friends are married, have houses, kids, etc. I feel sort of the odd one out, and yet, perfectly fine with it 🙂

Very cute cake though 🙂 And I love the penguin cup!

PS – I guess I’ll allow you a seat on the Canucks playoff bandwagon 😉

3. Virginia says:

I posted about my chocolate chip cookie dough oatmeal experience on my blog for the two extra entries! I also made up a new oatmeal. I can say that I like oatmeal now, yay!

4. Sweetie Pie says:

That cake is adorable! I have yet to play with fondant, but I think I’d have a lot of fun with it. The bride is cute, and the cake is just so darn happy! 🙂

5. Krista says:

Imagine how I feel at 35 with an almost 10yr old and a 7 year old!! YIKES!!! Mind you, I wouldn’t trade the ride for anything!! 🙂

That cake is gorgeous! I think your friend will LOVE it!! 🙂

6. Sarah W. says:

awesome cake!!! you are so talented

7. carolinebee says:

so weird about friends and stuff getting married and having BABIES ah!! haha i can barely keep up with myself right now 😀

8. beautiful cake! and i’m with you on slowing down this ride!!! marriage?? what?? 22 still seems young to me…

9. jen molica says:

all these people talking about feeling “old” in their 20’s and 30’s seems kinda silly. don’t get me wrong, i validate everyone’s feelings, but i was told that the following criteria means you’re getting old:

*obsession over getting enough fiber in your diet (check)
    *complaining that the music is too damn loud or what the “kids” are listening to is a bunch of garbage (an occasional check)
    *hesitation to go places because the trafic is too bad (check)
    urges to eat at buffet style restaurants and steal packets of ketchup (not there yet)
    *periods of “resting my eyes” sprinkled throughout the day (IN MY DREAMS!)
    *a heavy investment in polyester (not even close, but i do prefer wearing mom-jeans)

10. jen molica says:

ps: i love the cake.

11. Teresa says:

Damn girl, you must be reading my mind! I just turned 23 on Friday and it is just weird. For my b-day my mom took me for my first massage and I told her this was a much better way to spend my 23rd than planning for a wedding in a month like she was doing on her 23rd birthday. I cannot even imagine getting married ANYTIME soon (or ever, for that matter). I totally know what you mean about friends getting married, and having kids, because it’s been happening with my friends too. CRAZY! I’m sticking to the single life!

Is your birthday coming up soon?

12. That cake is soooo cute, but oh my goodness, married, kids? 22? What the? Now that is young. Keep moving at your “slow” pace and enjoy life!

13. Eddie G says:

Awesome looking cake! And I totally feel you about the getting-old thing…I’m about to turn #@!!! Yuck.

14. coco says:

amazing cake!!! Getting old is not that dramatic, even though I turned into 28 last christmas, I’ll keep celebrating it because it’s great to have lived one year more in the life that I have with the persons that I love~~~ 😀

15. brandi says:

i LIKE the penguin cup 🙂

16. Erin says:

I feel the same way! It totally freaks me out, and I wish everyone would stop it. I no longer need any more birthdays.
    Buuut, that cake is really cute! I’m so impressed with your decorating skills. I have the most unsteady hands in the world and cann’t imagine doing that.
    Love your oaties (or kamut flakes), they look so creamy!

17. selina says:

i feel your pain. know 4 people having babies right now. and people who i remember being babies are out of high-school/having babies themselves, its all very strange.

25 is a nice milestone. usually at 25 your car insurance cost goes down. after that though… nothing. nothing.

18. Vegyogini says:

We only get so many birthdays in our lives and each one should be celebrated to the fullest!

Wow, your friends move so quickly…just remember to wait until you’re absolutely ready.

19. Shelby says:

I’m only 16 and yet I feel the same way!!! AHH! STOP! haha

Lovely cake Katie! You are SO talented girl.

I must make that snickerdoodle oatmeal again because it is absolutely phenomenal!

20. ohkansascity says:

I know what you mean about this whole growing up thing. So many people I went to high school with are getting married or having babies and it’s strange. Hell, my little sister is engaged!