It’s Moo

Joey: …if he doesn’t like you, this is all a moo point.
Rachel:
Huh. A moo point?
Joey:
Yeah, it’s like a cow’s opinion. It just doesn’t matter. It’s moo.

Fess up people; I’m not the only one who gets super-excited whenever I come across a new product, am I?

Didn’t think so.

When I spotted these burgers during my latest trip to Whole Foods, I immediately snatched up a box of each variety. I haven’t yet tried the Cluckfree burgers, but I’m lovin’ the Moophreys!  They’re soft and chewy, with a slight—but not overpowering—bacon taste.  My only qualm with the burgers is that, after microwaving, the edges dry out a little.  But this is a minor detail.  The burgers are so flavorful that the dry edges barely detract from my enjoyment of them.

These burgers have such a robust taste that I like to eat them plain, without so much as a thought of reaching for ketchup. Moophreys are also delicious on a bed of spinach or crumbled into a salad. And Moophrey burgers have the one-up on my other faves. Each burger is packed with 16 grams of protein! Moophrey burgers are definitely on my list to buy again.  I should’ve known they’d be good; they’re made by the same company (Food for Life) that produces the famed Ezekiel breads and pitas.

Chocolate-Covered Meal of the Day:

z-422

1. *Andrea* says:

you just made my day. i love that episode of friends. joey is too cute for words… and i lovehow phoebe is the vegetarian 😉 16g of protein is so amazing for a burger!

2. justine says:

They sound yummy!! Chopsticks with spaghetti?? Love it!! haha

~Justine

3. Kiersten says:

Peanut butter is hands down my favorite protein. I can’t live without it.

I love eating noodles/spaghetti with chopsticks. It’s fun.

4. Meg says:

My fave meatless protein source would have to be peanut butter, hands down. I don’t think I’ve been a day without peanut butter in a long while, and I like it that way 😉 it’s an addiction!

I’ve never seen those burgs before! I’ll have to keep an eye open for em’ when I make a trip to Whole Foods this week!

<3Meg

5. Meredith says:

Totally need to see if they carry the Moophrey burgers at my local WF!

6. Emmy says:

Hey.. about the amaranth.. I bet some companies sell it in packages but I found it in the bulk bins at my Whole Foods. It’s so worth it.. at least I think so 😀

And thanks for the bulgar recipe suggestions.

I definitely go bizerk when I see a new product around. It’s just so exciting when you get to try something new.. I agree with you completely.

-E

7. marafaye says:

Those look like great veggie alternatives!!

8. Ricki says:

I must have missed that episode! So funny.

Favorite protein. . . hmmm. . . gotta say tofu, with tempeh a close second. And I used to HATE tofu!

9. Katie says:

Mmmm this looks really good! I’m curious to try the “chicken” patties! I like making my own trail mix for protein, free of added oil and salt, just the pure nutty and seed goodness! Second choice: tofu!

10. Shelby says:

Friends is one of my favorite shows ever!!! My mom got me hooked and we always watch it together.

Awesome new burgers!

Fav protein source? Chickpeas or PB!

11. Tofu is my favorite with legumes being my second favorite..

I like to drench my pasta in sauce and really cook it in there too..

12. Christina says:

I agree with peanut butter (or any nut!). I’m obsessed.

13. coco says:

You know I’m obsessed with PB. But tofu is another great source. i’m having it more like dessert than meal lately! 🙂

14. orangepop says:

We have these babies at my workplace…
    My fave is TEMPEH!!!!!!!!!!! & I’m nuts about nuts!

15. laci says:

Hooray for moo burgers and betty spegetti!
    My fav. protien… nuts/nutbutters, garbanzo beans/hummus/beans and verstile tofu 🙂
    Obviously, these yeild more than one can imagine! (Home made black bean burgers, anyone?)

16. Megan says:

Anything beany! 😀

17. Christine says:

Gummy spaghetti? Oh my gosh I need to try to make your Betty Spaghetti!!!!!! I wonder why the noodles get that way after being marinaded?

18. Sarah says:

Broccoli!!! Did you know that 2 cups has 10 grams of protein? I easily eat 2 cups each time I eat it 😉

19. Brandi C. says:

I’m so ELATED that you did this post. I’ve been eyeballing those burgers my past two trips to WFM trying to decide if I should try them or not. I’m DEFINITELY buying a box now =] Let me Know how the Cluckfree burgers go PWEASE MA’AM!

20. I’ll have to look for those burgers. I like all the Food for Life products I’ve tried. My favorite protein source is probably tempeh…but tofu it a close second.