Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

It’s Moo

Joey: …if he doesn’t like you, this is all a moo point.
Huh. A moo point?
Yeah, it’s like a cow’s opinion. It just doesn’t matter. It’s moo.

Fess up people; I’m not the only one who gets super-excited whenever I come across a new product, am I?

Didn’t think so.

When I spotted these burgers during my latest trip to Whole Foods, I immediately snatched up a box of each variety. I haven’t yet tried the Cluckfree burgers, but I’m lovin’ the Moophreys!  They’re soft and chewy, with a slight—but not overpowering—bacon taste.  My only qualm with the burgers is that, after microwaving, the edges dry out a little.  But this is a minor detail.  The burgers are so flavorful that the dry edges barely detract from my enjoyment of them.

These burgers have such a robust taste that I like to eat them plain, without so much as a thought of reaching for ketchup. Moophreys are also delicious on a bed of spinach or crumbled into a salad. And Moophrey burgers have the one-up on my other faves. Each burger is packed with 16 grams of protein! Moophrey burgers are definitely on my list to buy again.  I should’ve known they’d be good; they’re made by the same company (Food for Life) that produces the famed Ezekiel breads and pitas.

Chocolate-Covered Meal of the Day:

1. *Andrea* says:

you just made my day. i love that episode of friends. joey is too cute for words… and i lovehow phoebe is the vegetarian 😉 16g of protein is so amazing for a burger!

2. justine says:

They sound yummy!! Chopsticks with spaghetti?? Love it!! haha

3. Kiersten says:

Peanut butter is hands down my favorite protein. I can’t live without it.

I love eating noodles/spaghetti with chopsticks. It’s fun.

4. Meg says:

My fave meatless protein source would have to be peanut butter, hands down. I don’t think I’ve been a day without peanut butter in a long while, and I like it that way 😉 it’s an addiction!

I’ve never seen those burgs before! I’ll have to keep an eye open for em’ when I make a trip to Whole Foods this week!

5. Christine says:

Gummy spaghetti? Oh my gosh I need to try to make your Betty Spaghetti!!!!!! I wonder why the noodles get that way after being marinaded?

6. Sarah says:

Broccoli!!! Did you know that 2 cups has 10 grams of protein? I easily eat 2 cups each time I eat it 😉

7. Meredith says:

Totally need to see if they carry the Moophrey burgers at my local WF!

8. Emmy says:

Hey.. about the amaranth.. I bet some companies sell it in packages but I found it in the bulk bins at my Whole Foods. It’s so worth it.. at least I think so 😀

And thanks for the bulgar recipe suggestions.

I definitely go bizerk when I see a new product around. It’s just so exciting when you get to try something new.. I agree with you completely.

9. marafaye says:

Those look like great veggie alternatives!!

10. Brandi C. says:

I’m so ELATED that you did this post. I’ve been eyeballing those burgers my past two trips to WFM trying to decide if I should try them or not. I’m DEFINITELY buying a box now =] Let me Know how the Cluckfree burgers go PWEASE MA’AM!

11. Ricki says:

I must have missed that episode! So funny.

Favorite protein. . . hmmm. . . gotta say tofu, with tempeh a close second. And I used to HATE tofu!

12. Katie says:

Mmmm this looks really good! I’m curious to try the “chicken” patties! I like making my own trail mix for protein, free of added oil and salt, just the pure nutty and seed goodness! Second choice: tofu!

13. Shelby says:

Friends is one of my favorite shows ever!!! My mom got me hooked and we always watch it together.

Awesome new burgers!

Fav protein source? Chickpeas or PB!

14. Tofu is my favorite with legumes being my second favorite..

I like to drench my pasta in sauce and really cook it in there too..

15. Christina says:

I agree with peanut butter (or any nut!). I’m obsessed.

16. coco says:

You know I’m obsessed with PB. But tofu is another great source. i’m having it more like dessert than meal lately! :)

17. orangepop says:

We have these babies at my workplace…
    My fave is TEMPEH!!!!!!!!!!! & I’m nuts about nuts!

18. laci says:

Hooray for moo burgers and betty spegetti!
    My fav. protien… nuts/nutbutters, garbanzo beans/hummus/beans and verstile tofu :-)
    Obviously, these yeild more than one can imagine! (Home made black bean burgers, anyone?)

19. Megan says:

Anything beany! 😀

20. Sally says:

Oh, I’ve tried Moophrey burgers too! I really liked them! My favorite non-meat protein source is peanut butter (and pretty much every other type of nut :) )

21. Meg says:

I saw this on my last trip to Whole Foods, and was wondering about them! Thanks for the review!

22. I’ll have to look for those burgers. I like all the Food for Life products I’ve tried. My favorite protein source is probably tempeh…but tofu it a close second.

23. jrsimon56 says:

Oooooohhh!!! What a fun post! I wish my Whole Foods wasn’t total madness. I wish I could slowly browse all the beautiful aisles. But, being in mid-town Manhattan, I can’t browse…whomp, whomp! Needless to say, I’ll keep my eyes open for these great burgers!

24. Elyse says:

Haha, I love that Friends episode!! I really want to run out and get some Moophrey burgers. They sound totally delicious!

25. broccolihut says:

Wow, I’ve never seen either of those products anywhere…maybe it’s a Texas thing?

Fave meatless protein source: tofu, with hummus as a close second.

26. Cecilia says:

LOL at the names off those meatless patties 😀 MOOOOOOooooo free, moophrey patty …. tsk tsk!

As for fav protein source – well looks like broccoli is my fav source, thanks for letting me know Sarah!!

p.s.: I miss ya posts SO MUCH …. moi been studying for mid sem lately … ugh!!! So glad to be back 😀

27. Natalie says:

:O And judging by the brand Food For Life, I trust the ingredients aren’t wacky and overly processed! SUch a win win I tell you! My favorite protein source would have to be Tofurkey Deli Slices mmm :)

28. runsarah says:

I have never seen those before — would love to try them! My fav protein source…hard to say, I have been loving black bean burgers lately!

29. Marianne says:

Very clever names for those faux-meat burgers. Too bad they aren’t in Canada, but isn’t that the norm for alot of things?

I think my fave non-meat protein is any nut butter. But I do like these garlic portabella soy burgers I used to be able to get at Costco. They were pretty sweet.

30. DJ says:

I love a good veggie burger – they’re an invaluable addition to any freezer compartment and often feature in our Saturday night suppers!

31. mihl says:

Yum, spaghetti!

32. Sal says:

that is one of my favourite friends quotes, me & my bro say it to each other all the time!

33. Kate says:

I always say “it’s like a cow’s opinion, it doesn’t matter” when I can’t get my point across to people. No wonder they think I’m crazy…

It looks like a yummy burger. I’ll have to see if any place in my podunk region carries it. It’s grilling season!

34. Lauren says:

T just bought the “chickn” nuggets by that company. He hasn’t made them yet but they look yummy on the box! hehe!

35. joggerslife says:

I’m so sad…I want Moophrey Burgers, and they’re nowhere to be found! I’m going to keep my eyes open for them.

36. Coconutgal says:

I still think the mystery grain is buckwheat!
    Hope you’re having a happy Monday :)

37. Bethany says:

good to know. my stash of veggie burgers was getting low.

favorite protein source. I’d have to say beans. garbanzo beans and black beans. also quinoa. so that’s 3. oops and tofu. can’t really make up my mind…

38. Regi says:

I know some people aren’t into it, but I rather like mock duck! By the way, I’m a long-time lurker, first-time commenter :) My friends and I decided to go vegan for Earth Week and I’ve been coming to your blog for inspiration! Thanks!

39. sandra says:

Thank you so much for reviewing these!!!! I saw them in the store and was hesitant to buy them because they were so expensive, but now that I know they’ve passed your great taste buds, I’m going to try them.

I’m so excited about all your product review posts. You’ve turned me on to so many new foods.

Keep them comin!

40. Vaala says:

You’re not the only one – I get incredibly excited when I see a new product and have to get it even if I can’t work out what to do with it – I still have a carton of soy cream in my pantry that I discovered but I don’t even know what one uses cream for anymore!

As for my favourite protein source? Yeah, probably all sorts of nut butters but I do also love tofu and tempeh. Hmmm, not sure I could actually pick a favourite really…

41. Louise,
    I took the time to respond to your comment. But apparently you left a fake email address.

42. I love Ezekiel products! I saw these burgers at the store last week, but didn’t buy any… I’m glad to know they’re delish! I will pick up a box soon!

Also, regarding the “Friends” quote at the beginning of your post… My boss says “moo point” all the time!!! Even in emails, and even to clients… It’s embarrassing! :)

43. Jessica says:

I saw those burgers in the store last week! Hmmm…if they’re really that good then I must try.

44. Louise says:

Sorry Katie, I didn’t leave a fake email address, just haven’t logged in for a while so it was inactive. I have reactivated it now, if you still wanted to respond.

45. Patrick says:

I had the cluckphrey ones, they are pretty good. Better than the health is wealth stuff which always freaked me out because they sold chicken nuggets in the same box just a different color?

I haven’t had a better chicken style pattie I don’t think

46. Diane says:

I love these too because they are tastier than most of the other brands, Odd how it seems fairly easy to mimic chicken and turkey but no one gets beef right. Anyway, my reason for preferring these is the 1.5 g of fat, though some is saturated. You are wrong about the 16 g of protein. It is only 1 g of protein, 16 g of fiber. My favorite sources of protein are lentils (then chana dal and other beans in descending order) and tempeh. The problem with tempeh and most soy products is high fat content, so I can’t have it as often as I’d like. (On a low fat vegan regimen currently.) My favorite chicken mimic is Quorn. I use sliced strips of Quorn turkey roast to make chicken-topped salad. Their goat cheese and cranberry stuffed chick’n breast is yummy. I miss it. Didn’t care for their burgers though.

1. Woah, what? Only one gram??? Honestly, I haven’t bought these in a while. Maybe they changed the label?