Care for a Kumquat, Katie?

(If you can say that three times fast, I bow to you.)

For the first week of my challenge, I picked up a new (to me) fruit at Whole Foods: Kumquats.  They certainly didn’t look scary.

z-4951

z-494

After googling the mini fruits (seriously, what did we do before Google?), I discovered that one is actually supposed to eat the skin.  So, I took a bite, skin and all.

Oh HOLY SOURNESS!  Remember Warheads?  Well, these kumquats are like Mother Nature’s version of  the popular candies.  The skin, itself, is sweet.  But beware the flesh!

1. Jessica says:

Ohhh I always see those at the store but I’ve never tried them. This time of year I see all kinds of cool new fruits/veggies at the farmer’s market. This will be lots of fun :)

2. VeganWoman says:

Those look delicious! I have not tried them either. I also cannot say Kumquat Katie 3 X’s either :)

3. OrangePop says:

There is a kumquat festival where I live… interesting perhaps, but I’ve never had one or been to celebrate all the kum-quat-ness!!!

4. Simon says:

I had to try kumquats a lot of times before I finally figured out that they taste good. But I think you have it backwards; the skin is sour, and the inside is sweet. A friend recommended not eating them whole but rather smashing them up with sugar and sparkling water to get a kumquat soda. They’re good like that too.

5. brandi says:

good job trying them! I’ve never even seen them in a store here!

I love purple cauliflower :)

6. coco says:

dear dear!!! these are common fruits in China but people don’t eat it raw, they usually make preserves with it or marinate it in honey and lemon and then make tea with it. :)

7. Coconutgal says:

I thought about trying kumquats, but the produce guy at WFoods warned me, he was like “You won’t like them, they are SO sour” Now I’m glad I believed him and put them back!
    Ok it took me a second to figure out how on earth your cauliflower mash was purple…. I was like um Katie, are you sure you weren’t using cabbage?!
    I’ve never seen purple cauliflower before but I do make this mash all the time, its so yummy!!!

8. Shelby says:

I’ve always wanted to try kumquats! I think the name of them is just too funny.

Love your purple cauliflower!!!

I just tried a new food today, I will be blogging about it tonight =)

9. Marianne says:

Hmm, I’m still curious about the kumquats. I do like me some sour food, perhaps I would enjoy them.

And I totally thought you had blended up some purple cabbage in that photo, possibly with some grains. Which, might not be a bad idea!

10. Nora says:

what! i ADORE kumquats! one of my fav fruits! the ones i usually eat are equally sweet as they are sour. i’m actually planning on baking a citrus bread using kumquats tmo morning! maybe you’d like that better…

11. Virginia says:

what a weird little fruit!

12. Meg says:

Katie! I’ve seen those little things in the grocery store and I’ve ALWAYS been so curious about them! I figured they’d taste like little oranges, but I guess not 😉 Haha thanks for the warhead warning! Hope you’re having a lovely day!

Love, Meg

13. Erin says:

My boyfriend bought those once because he likes to try new things, and I couldn’t decide if I liked them or not! I haven’t bought them since, so probably not. They are interesting, and so sour! But the inside is so delicious. A connundrum indeed.

14. Vegyogini says:

Oh, no, I LOVE kumquats! I just re-visited them on Sunday at the Veggie Pride Parade and then had to run out and buy a box for myself. I snacked on them last night and brought some with my lunch today. I understand why they’d be too sour for some people’s palates, though. Thank goodness for a vast selection of fruits and veggies in this country!

15. I love kumquats! A friend brought them to kindergarten (yes, I still remember!) and I was hooked there after.

16. laci says:

You’ve inspired me to want to try new foods! (other than vegan sweets, haha) I’ve never had Kamquats- I don’t think I plan to even though I (am one in a million) who likes the taste of lemons! :-) (especially squeezed into tea with some agave nectar!)

17. Sarah C. says:

Don’t throw them out, just make some kind of sweetened compote with them. If you stew them with sugar (and I’m going to guess a spritz of lemon juice), or even look up a recipe for cooked kumquats, you might like them and won’t have wasted food!

18. I love kumquats..

Make jam with them! It’s delicious!

19. Well you get snaps for trying kumquats in the first place. I don’t know that I would have done the same! I do think that produce is a great place to start for new foods, though. I just learned about ramps on Tri to Cook – never knew about those before!

20. CurlyTop says:

Katie,

My new food of the day was avacado:

Yum!

Have a great day sweetie!

With love,