K is for Kabocha

Did you ever play the Name Game?

The one where you have to say, “My name is _____ and I like ______ (filling in the blank with something that starts with the same letter as your name)? Growing up, I got stuck playing that game a lot.  It seemed like every time I was with a new group of people (summer camp, a new school class, etc.) the teacher or group leader would have us play the dreaded Name Game.  Why was it so “dreaded”?  Simple: nothing starts with K, except kittens, kit kats, and kites.

Or so I thought. Turns out there are quite a few wonderful entities that start with K!  Maybe it’s a good thing that I didn’t know about them when I was a child.  Can you imagine what my peers would’ve thought of me if I’d said, “My name’s Katie and I like Kale”?

A few weeks ago, I was shopping with Whole Foods Boy.

(Have you met him yet? I’ve finally revealed his identity.) As I gathered my beloved butternut squash in my arms, WF Boy threw something else into my cart as well.

Me: “What on earth is that big ugly green thing, and why is it in my cart?”

WF Boy: “You HAVE to try this.”

And so Kabocha came into my life, giving me another favorite thing that starts with K.  The only entity unhappy about this new union is Mr. CCK’s Wallet, as those heavyset kabochas can be expensive!  (Hint: I’ve since discovered that kabochas at Asian markets are about 1/2 the price of the ones at WF!) So what exactly does one do with these green monstrosities?

door1

First of all, it’ll help if you can find a burly guy to cut the squash for you (I’ve already introduced you to my personal Squash-Cutter in this post:  Little Miss Butternut).

Just like anything else, I’m sure there are many different ways to cook a kabocha squash.  What follows is my method, which I devised using that ingenious strategy known as “trial and error”.

Katie Cooks Kabocha

(Ooh look, another tongue twister!)

1. Cut your kabocha squash in half (See “burly guy” note, above)
  2. Place the squash (so the seeded part is up or sideways, not facedown) on a piece of tin foil and put in a not-preheated oven at 405 for 40-50 minutes.
  3. When the time is up, wrap the squash lightly in a paper towel or two and microwave for 3-5 minutes.  (I once tried skipping the oven step and just microwaving the squash longer, but the finished product was more “steamed” and less “roasted” than I liked).
  4. Scoop out the squash out of the shell, discarding the seeds.  I like to store it in the fridge and eat it cold.
  5. The squash should have a thick, luxuious texture that sends your tongue into ecstasy.  If, however, you accidentally cooked it too long—making it dry and crumbly—all is not lost.  Simply add a little water and mash the squash up until it’s moist again.

What to do with Kabocha:

Hands-down, my favorite way to eat kabocha squash is absolutely plain-jane.

mg1

mg

But you can also make mousse, or stir it into oatmeal. And kabocha is a terrific substitute for Fiesta Sweet Potato Burritos  (or the Deconstructed version).

bnut

I also love to eat kabocha in the following recipe (I use the term “recipe” loosely, because it’s so easy to make!)

Kabocha-Broccoli Bowl

(serves 1 broccoli LOVER)

• 230 grams raw broccoli
  • 140 grams cooked kabocha
  • vegan butter (such as Earth Balance or Smart Balance Light)
  • Salt, to taste

Put your broccoli in a lidded, microwave-safe dish and cover halfway with water.  Steam for about 9-11 minutes (I like my broccoli to be very soft). Melt the butter, then pour it over the broccoli and stir to mix.  Also add your salt at this time.  (I add a bit over 1/4 tsp. I also like to add a little onion powder.) Throw this mixture over your kabocha.  I usually leave the broccoli on top and eat it first, but you can definitely opt to mix the two components together.

z 270

z-582

(This also works with other veggies subbed for the broccoli—I’ve used an asparagus-mushroom mixture before—but broccoli is my favorite.  After all, I am Broccoli Girl!!)

z 298

So… does anyone want to play the Name Game?  I’ll go first!  My name is Katie, and I like Kabocha, Kiwi, Kohlrabi, Kale, Kombucha, and Kamut Flakes (just to name a few).

Now, let me go thank my mom for not naming me Xavier!

Tags: , , ,

1. Meg says:

Hey Katie 🙂 Thanks so much for your email, I really appreciate it. My Momma and I are having a girls day today, and Whole Foods is on our list, so I’m definitely gonna be looking out for that monster-of-a-squash 😉

I hope you have a lovely day!

Love,
    Meg

2. It seems like every blog I go on is talking about kabocha! I will have to look for that one. Hmm, apples, asparagus, artichokes, okay, I’ll stop now 🙂

3. justine says:

My name is Justine and I like ummm…ummmm…I will have to get to you on that….

~Justine

4. I love kabocha!!! My new food was Plantains last week… I’m not sure what this week will hold!

5. Mihl says:

I don’t think I’ve seen this squash here in Germany. But I think we are catching up when it comes to squash/pumpkin. So maybe there is hope!

6. Kiersten says:

You know what sucks even more than the “I like ____” game? The one where you have to pick an adjective that begins with the first letter of your name. My name begins with a K too and the only 2 that I can ever think of are “kind” (which is boring) and “kinky” (which you probably shouldn’t tell people). Haha.

I never tried kabocha squash, but I love all the other squashes. I’ll have to keep an eye out for this one!

7. CurlyTop says:

Katie,

My name is Emily and I like edamame, egg whites, and Eggplant HUMMUS! hehe

Have a good monday!

With love,

Emily

8. Meredith says:

My name is Meredith and I like melon, mint, mango, and milk-& meat-alternatives!

9. plentifulplants says:

My name is ruth and I like raspberries, raisins and rosemary.

Haven’t tried rutabaga yet though…

Rum and rye bread are pretty good….

Not a huge fan of roe, radishes, or radicchio….

And I think that’s it.

Plus I <3 all winter squashes!

10. ttfn300 says:

ooh, good thing s is for strawberries, spinach, squash… we’ll forget that it also stands for squid and snails.

need to try this variety of Squash!

11. coco says:

Love kabocha!
    I forgot to mention that I tried a new food: avocado (yes, it’s hard to believe that I’m new to avocado). 🙂

12. Shelby says:

I tried Rutabega the other day =) Yummy.

Ok, I need to go find this squash RIGHT NOW!!

13. Jane says:

my name is Jane and I like jelly, juice (fresh please)….wow j is hard! i better try jicama or else i have nothing else to add to the list!

14. Sweet and Fit says:

hahaha, I remember that game! Nothing starts with “J” either though!

Kabocha looks really interesting – i have gotta pick that up the next time I am at my asian grocery store, reminds me of spaghetti squash somewhat. hope you have a great monday!

15. Erin says:

My name is Erin and I like eggs, eggwhites, everything bagels, and extra helpings of curried lentils!

16. Christina says:

Kabocha looks good – Is it a winter squash like butternut? I feel like I should’ve noticed it at the store!

My name makes the name game too easy! Cherries, carrots, crumb cake (double c!), cucumbers, corn, … the list goes on.

17. DJ says:

MY name is Daria and I like dragon fruit, dill pickles, dates, dumplings and donuts. Other than that, I’m stumped! That Kabocha looks great, especially mashed as is… mmmm!

18. *Andrea* says:

awww the WF boy is amazing – he introduced you to a new vegetable!! my name is Andrea and I like Apples, Almonds, Alfalfa sprouts, Avocado, asparagus, apricots, artichokes 😀

19. Emily says:

my name is Emily and i like eggplant, english muffins, endive, edamame, enoki, elbow mac and un-cheese…

kabocha has been on my to-try list for too long! maybe i’ll stop in the asian market.

20. hahaha that’s adorable!!!!
    i loved kabuocha in curries in thailand. got a little giggle everytime i ordered it though, because it is called “fuk” there.
    🙂
    had fiddleheads for the first time this weekend! this is the best game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!