Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Z-z-z-Zico Coconut Water

z 543

Growing up as an expat in Japan has its advantages: Many a summer, on our trips back to the US, we’d stop over in Hawaii, and I have wonderful memories of lounging on the beach and drinking water straight from the coconut.  (I also have a memory of eating so much pineapple that I developed a cold sore… but that’s a different story for a different time.)  On a hot Hawaiian day, there is absolutely nothing more refreshing and replenishing than fresh coconut water.

When the folks at Zico wanted to send me some coconut water samples to review on my blog, I was thrilled at the prospet of reliving my childhood Hawaiian memories (cold sore aside).  True, it’s nowhere near as fun to drink coconut water in an air-conditioned house as on a breezy beach. Oh well. The generous Zico company sent four samples of each of the following flavors:

• Mango Coconut
  • Passionfruit Coconut
  • Regular Coconut

I enjoyed the mango and wasn’t big on the passionfruit (I’m not a passionfruit fan in general).  But the plain coconut was my hands-down favorite.  Sometimes simple truly is best.

z 532

Coconut water is often referred to as “nature’s sports drink” due to the fact that it contains the five essential electrolytes one’s body needs to function properly (balanced electrolyte levels also prevent cramping).  One container of Zico has more potassium than a whole banana (and 15 times the amount in most sports drinks). What doesn’t coconut water have?  Artificial ingredients, fat, cholesterol, and added sugars.

Taste-wise, Zico coconut water is sweet, slightly coconutty, and very refreshing.  It’s the perfect beverage to drink before a workout, after a workout, with a snack or meal, or by itself.  Mix it into smoothies, pour it on your oatmeal (or maybe even cold cereal?), or gulp it straight-up.  Just close those eyes and prepare to be transported to a tropical location.  Sunscreen optional.

1. Amanda says:

i’m so jealous you got to go to Hawaii so often! i’ve only been there once but i’ve been wanting to go back so bad. the weather was beautiful and the pineapple was delicious! coconut water sounds so refreshing…i have to try some!

2. Meg says:

Oh man, I hear SO much on the blogs about coconut water! I hope you enjoy it all – it sounds amazing 🙂 It’s always nice to sip on something natural, instead of something doused in chemicals, and sugars…ew gross. 😛

What a nice refreshing thing to sip on for the SUMMERTIME too!

I hope you’re having a fantastic start to your week!

3. Run Sarah says:

Coconut water sounds amazing – I really want to try it now!

4. Coconutgal says:

Hehe. You know I love this post.
    In fact, I am doing a post on something coconut soon and you, my dear Katie, will be mentioned. You’ll see!!
    Keep having fun on vacay!

5. Vegan_Noodle says:

Coconut water is so refreshing… I don’t drink near enough of it.

6. shelby says:

I’m not a fan of coconut water. I think it’s way too sweet but the mango flavor is good. Much better than the plain I think.

7. Anne K. says:

I’ve been hearing so much about coconut water. I should try it!

8. justine says:

Katie, do you heat sauce up?

9. Emily says:

Everyone’s drinking this latest elixir of life! I’ve gotta get my hands on some coconut water!

10. CurlyTop says:

I’ve been thinking about trying that coconut water for a while now, but I still have a bit of a hook up about drinking calories… I always pour my smoothies into a bowl and call them fruit soup! Maybe that’s what I should try with Zico? lol.

With Love,

11. Katie,
    I just tried coconut water for the first time last week…ha, another New Foods Challenge for me, and I LOVED it. You totally scored on your samples. Lucky you – it will be great for after all your runs. I’m a huge fan of keeping those electrolytes in balance. 😉

Thanks for the shout-out. You’re so sweet. I had more of your Alfredo sauce today for lunch. I think it’s even better the 2nd day. Love your recipes!

12. RunToFinish says:

seriously i love that you make stuff and it’s easy!! three ingredients!

13. Bethany says:

that sounds like an awesome way to grow up. I love HI. it has such a good vibe.

I agree, coconut water is delicious.

14. Jane says:

i’ve only tried coconut once and i cant say i’m the hugest fan. so keeping on track with your new foods challenge, i tried a new food today- almond butter! i know, it’s almost unbelievable that i’d never tried it before, but i’m just so addicted to peanut butter than i never wanted to pay the expensive price for almond butter. anyway, i LOVE it! it’s a bit more rich than pb so i doubt i could eat as much but it sure is tasty 🙂 just wish it wasn’t so expensive!
    but still, nothing will replace my love for pb….

15. Bibis says:

With my love for coconut, that seems like the perfect drink!!! it would be lovely with your almond joy oats recipe, to make pop sicles, ice cream, i want a zico right now!

16. Meghan Telpner says:

Coconut water is my favourite! I love the plain- straight up and chilled. One day I will own my very own coconut tree. I don’t know which lovely island it will be on but it will be mine all mine. I’ll just have to learn how to climb it.

17. snugglebunny says:

I have been drinking this lately as well, since Florida has gone through an unusual heat wave for May. The only way I can drink it, however, is in iced tea. Which, if you don’t link how it tastes, is a great way to drink it.

18. snugglebunny says:

I meant to say, don’t like how it tastes, not don’t link how it tastess. Sorry, watching Dancing with the Stars.

19. Marianne says:

I didn’t know Zico had other flavoured waters. I think they only sell the plain coconut water here – which I agree, is pretty awesome. It would make excellent smoothies with any fruit. Yum!

20. ttfn300 says:

thanks for the info on coconut water, i’ve seen it around, but wondered what the deal was… and hadn’t had a chance to look it up!