Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Let’s see Hangawi Come

Sorry, Matchbox Twenty, for butchering your song title.

Much of my most-recent vacation was spent visiting relatives in the northeast. I was lucky enough, however, to steal a few trips to the NYC. One such trip included a dinner stopover at Hangawi, a favored restaurant not only for the food, but also for the ambiance.  Upon arriving at Hangawi, diners are asked to leave their shoes– and their worries– on the doorstep as they enter a peaceful, spa-like oasis, which paints a stark contrast to the hustle and bustle of the surrounding city.

Mr. Handsome Dinner Date and I arrived at Hangawi after a grueling day of walking under the unforgiving city sun (hey, at least it didn’t rain!). Therefore, Hangawi’s calming music, dim lighting, and refreshing zen atmosphere were quite welcome.  We seated ourselves on the tatami mats and prepared for what we hoped would be a delicious dining experience.

Hangawi did not disappoint.Two soothing cups of Ginger Tea accompanied us as we perused the menu. Normally the tea comes with honey, but the server graciously left it out of mine. (I’m unsure where I stand on the “veganism and honey” issue. More bugs probably die in the making of my organic kale or broccoli! So I don’t go out of my way to eat foods with honey, but I also won’t flip out if I happen to consume it accidentally.)

The tea was chock-full of real ginger strands. For his main course, Dad decided on the Tofu and Mix Vegetables with Brown Sauce and a side of multigrain rice. I’m assuming he liked it, as he polished off every last bite, save for his archnemesis zucchini (I magnanimously took those offending zucchini pieces off his hands).

I went with a specially-prepared Mushroom and Garlic Medley for my Hangawi dinner. One of my special requests? Lots of garlic! (Another request was for extra broccoli. Broccoli Girl must be satisfied!)

hangawi dinner

And then there was dessert. I’ve talked before about my distaste for sugary foods. Oreo-bottomed double- caramel chocolate-chip sprinkle cake with extra whipped cream? Not so much.  However, this girl still loves a good slice of velvety, melt-in-your-mouth cheesecake. And that’s exactly the kind of cheesecake one can find at Hangawi. Please, Hangawi, open a location in Texas!

We ordered two slices of Hangawi’s vegan cheesecake to go: one for me, and one for my adventurous dad. Now, I’d planned on eating my cheesecake the next day at snacktime.  But… when I came in the next morning after my run and saw Daddy Dearest devouring his cake for breakfast, there was nothing else to do but join him!

hangawi vegan cheesecake

Dad: “This vegan cheesecake tastes exactly like real cheesecake!”

vegan cheesecake

1. Coconutgal says:

Yummm!! Cute photos Katie, sounds so fun!!

Ok maybe I’m too observant– but how come your dad’s piece of cake is on a white plate, yours on a blue, and then the one he’s eating is on a black plate? Did he sneak 2 pieces!?!

2. LOL no he didn’t sneak two pieces. I put his piece on a plate the night we got home, to take a picture. Looking back, that was ridiculous– I could’ve just left it in the box. Sometimes I get a little obsessive with feeling the need to make my pictures “blog-worthy”. But admitting you have a problem is the first step to getting better, no? 😉

Anyway, I changed the post up so it’s less confusing haha!

3. Amanda says:

i’m with you on the SUPER sugary stuff, although i do love desserts. they just don’t need to be sweet over sweet over sweet!

i had this huge cupcake hangover after i had eaten two store bought ones the night before. i felt soooo sick, and it really was a breaking point. i realized my body didn’t want to consume that much sugar! i went on a major detox after that.

4. *Andrea* says:

pretty pictures!!! the food/tea sounds great – delicious and calming 🙂

5. Erin says:

Sounds wonderful!! My Dad is adventurous with foods too, I love eating out with him!

6. brandi says:

that cheesecake looks awesome! and ginger strands in the tea? Yum. I love fresh ginger.

7. Cecilia says:

omg I want to visit NYC so badly!!! I must get a list of “to visit places” when I (eventually) get there 😀

Oh I love your pick for din din!! Whilst I was in Thailand, I had a MAD craving for broccoli! I went to the nearest grocery store, bought A HEAD of broccoli, and boil it up in the kettle in our hotel room 😀 AHHHhhh craving satisfied!!

8. Anne K. says:

That place looks great. And YUM, that cheesecake! I’m such a huge cheesecake fan, and that looks delicious 😀 I’m glad you had a good time!

9. Vic says:

I really like the black and white photos. Nice post! I cant wait to travel. I grew up in Maine and love the Northeast.

10. Katherine says:

Everything looks delicious and I will definitely have to check out the restaurant! I just moved to NYC a few months ago, so let me know if you have other restaurant/grocery suggestions! 🙂

I love the editing of the pictures – food in color, you in B/W – such a cool effect!

11. justine says:

Katie, Sounds like a blastie!!!So jealous of your trip. I have never been to NY!! 🙁

12. Krista says:

I love how you manipulated your photographs in this post! Wicked!

The cheesecake does look mighty fine…;)

13. Jessica says:

NYC is a great city, and it’s awesome how much vegan food you can find there! That cheesecake looks great…

14. Marianne says:

Sounds like a great meal out with your dad, and really, how can you go wrong with cheesecake for breakfast? I don’t think it’s possible!

I so need to get to NYC one of these days…

15. Shelby says:

LOVELY! That cake looks marvelous!

16. jd says:

I LOVE how you refer to your dad as your “handsome dinner date.” That’s sooo cute!

And I have to say, I agree, he’s definitely adorable 🙂

Also, those are great pics, Katie! I love what you did with the colors… very cool stuff!

17. FoodsThatFit says:

Vegan Cheesecake! I want a piece of that. I bet if more people saw some of the yummy things that you can make and eat within a vegan diet, they wouldn’t be so scared of it.

Looks like a fun evening with your Dad and it cracks me up that you caught him eating his slice for breakfast! I would do the same (if I hadn’t polished it off the night before already)!

18. Christina says:

Props to you for waiting til the next day to eat that cheesecake, It’d be gone that night if it were mine!

I can’t to see where else you went in NYC. I’m always on the hunt for new vegetarian restaurants to try 🙂

19. Erin says:

I love how you edited the post with all the colors! It’s awesome!
    Nice to hear your thoughts on honey – I don’t know how I feel about it at this point either, esp after watching Bee Movie! 😉

20. CurlyTop says:

Darlin, you and your daddy look so much alike! The same exact eyes on the both of you. Too cute. 😀 Do you look more like your papa or your mom?

That resteraunt looks fabulous. I can’t wait to live near NY and sample all of those amazing dishes.

Have a gorgeous night sweetie!

With Love,