What is "Health" anyway?

Thank you all for sharing such great insight in the comment section of yesterday’s post.  Although many of the comments made me stop and think, I wanted to share one in particular: Christine commented: “…we don’t win a prize for eating healthy.”

It’s so true; God (or another higher power in which you may believe) is not waiting up in Heaven to hand out medals to those of us with the fewest toxins in our bodies.  We have to step back and remember that the whole point of eating healthily is to ensure that we live a long and fulfilling life, not one where we’re constantly denying ourselves the foods we crave in order to be “healthy.”  What is health anyway, if not “the condition of being sound in body, mind, and spirit”?  (Thanks, Webster’s.)  One can live to be 100 years old by taking proper care of one’s body, but if his or her life is spent ridden with guilt and worry (i.e. ignoring the mind and spirit facets of health by concentrating too much on the body part), can he or she really be considered “living”?  This is not to say that a person should sit around consuming hot dogs and pints of ice cream all day, as that would be neglecting the body facet completely.

Stuffing oneself with junk also doesn’t make for a healthy mind, as I found out the hard way.

What, then, should we do?  We should really listen to our bodies.  If you’re craving a salad, by all means, have the salad.  But if your body is saying, “Please don’t feed me another salad; I want a cookie,” you shouldn’t still go with the salad solely because it’s “healthier” than the cookie. Don’t forget to take care of your mental health too!

Something else that struck me:

In the original post, I wrote that, as bloggers putting something up for public view, we have a responsibility to watch what we write.  While I still feel this way, a few of you commented that bloggers shouldn’t have to censor every single thing they wish to write in fear that it might offend one person.  Unless we always stick to “safe” topics like our pets or the weather, we’re bound to offend someone at some point.  Therefore, it is also the responsibility of the readers to simply choose to not visit blogs they find controversial or upsetting.  I’m not going to lie about who I am in order to make someone else feel good about him or herself.

So yes, we bloggers should be careful about the content we put up on our blogs, but that doesn’t mean we should lie about our opinions on an issue.  And if you, as a reader, happen to disagree with an opinion I write on my blog, you’re free to do that too!  We can disagree without being hateful or malicious. Let’s celebrate our differences instead of attacking them.

*Steps off her wobbly soap box* (Cue collective sigh of relief)

I’ll throw in a picture of Henry for good measure.

100_7078

Redefining the meaning of “spoiled rotten.”

1. Yasmin says:

I am so glad you told it like it is. I have a blog to express my feelings and should not feel like I am going to offend anyone. I’m so sad to hear that some bloggers have received negative comments. If you don’t like it, don’t read my blog! Thanks for getting on your soapbox.

2. Thanks for wrapping up the more serious topic so delicately and yet so honestly!

Glad to see your food featured again and I love the picture of Henry – he’s adorable 🙂

Have a great day!

3. Vic says:

Interesting thoughts….what is that purple stuff?!?!?

4. elise says:

as usual, great post katie. thanks for the email btw.

i lost EVERY single subscriber because the google reader subscription link no longer works. so i burst into tears, and now im trying to recollect myself.

ok, http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/feed
    is now what you have to enter into google reader. i have no clue why the “feed” ending has to be there, but thats the only way it updates.

i really dont like computer stuff.

thanks for your help though. i hope i recover readers the way you did

5. Maria says:

Katie, as usual, I love your honesty! It is all about balancing your mind, body, and soul! Before I eat, I always pray that God will bless those exact three things.

Henry does look super spoiled with his king sized bed and all those delicacies ;).

Maybe I should try plumping up my raisins, I think it will work well with the silky texture of oatmeal. Ooooh, and I think that’s something frozen with blueberries–can’t wait to see what it is!

Have a fabulous day!

6. Jane says:

great post again! And what a comment by Christine, that’s genius.
    i appreciate the fact that you take MENTAL health into account along with PHYSICAL health. getting stressed about the health value of foods is something i struggle with, and regardless if i end up eating a cookie or a broccoli sandwich, i feel better when i let it go.
    have a good weekend 🙂

7. Thanks for your sweet email earlier! I agree with everything you’ve written today as well. I think these are thoughts worth thinking AND putting in writing. So true that we can’t forego the mind and spirit parts in favor of the body! You have landed in the “shared items” box on my blog today. 😀

Have a tubular weekend!

8. Cecilia says:

OMG!!! Look at all those ‘bones’ for Henry!!! Hahahahaha, was it his birthday when you took that photo? He looks so happy in the photo – no surprise there!! Awww, give Henry a huge cuddle for me 😀

Last but not least, great posts again Katie!!

9. JB says:

ooh that teaser already has me excited for your next post! and henry is so thinking “i’ve got my comfy throne, soft stuffed animals, a million bones, and katie taking pictures of me. i’m such a king!” haha.

and while i love how you addressed the eating issue, i’m happy you’re back to lighthearted posting!

-JB

10. Eddie G says:

I’m so happy I get to share Dallas and blogland with you, Katie! You rock 🙂

11. Marianne says:

Health is so much more than just the food you put in your body – it’s about the whole package. If you get so focused on perfecting one aspect, you will inevitably neglect others. Balance does not equal perfection, and in the grand scheme of things, no one is going to care if you enjoyed some cake along the way.

12. Sagan says:

Another excellent post. We should definitely be celebrating our differences. Health means something a little different to everyone, and we can share our views but we should also respect other opinions.

13. Mike says:

As a triathlete who works in retirement living, I’ve been an observer of longevity for years. Long (30-60 mins), fast morning walks correlate the greatest with good mobility and quality of life ’til the age of 80, though those same people likely pay more attention to diet than others. As far as making it to 90, let alone 100, it’s a fluke. Especially when you add dementia or Alzheimer’s to the mix.

This is totally anecdote-based but I’ve seen a very substantial number of superficially fit, dedicated runner males die of heart attacks in their 40s, 50s, and early 60s. I don’t know about their cholesterol numbers, but the rate seems much higher than the non-obese males I know who get little to no exercise.

14. eatlivelovedream says:

My dogs would be in heaven with all those bones!
    Can’t wait for your next post!

15. Sarah says:

Amen Katie! If someone goes, “Ew,” about something I’m eating in real life, I tell them not to look at it if they don’t like it. Same applies for the blog world 😉

I’m working on that email back to you!

16. Paulina says:

Great post! I agree 100% with what you have to say because I too had to learn the hard way (I was denying myself my favorite goodies!).

17. Erin says:

I fully agree about limiting self-censorship. That’s not good for anyone, IMO, as I kinda think honesty is the best route to follow.

Loves the soapbox this week gal!

18. Shelby says:

Dang Katie! You’ve got to stop with these teasers!!!

19. *Andrea* says:

love this post, as usual 🙂 i agree with you about blogging being a 2-way street between readers and bloggers. if i started reading a book and disagreed with it i would put it down and read a different one! just like blogs!

ps i can’t wait for the next post. that’s one big bowl of purply goodness!

20. glidingcalm says:

love you girlllllllllll.

i found wakame in my house……….. UH OH! CCV’s salad is a-coming!