in a fever hotter than a pepper sprout

In light of the forthcoming oppressively-hot weather, I figured I ought to write a post dedicated to keeping cool.

How to Keep Cool in the Heat

1. Become best buddies with your blender, so that you can churn out cooling smoothies, icees, and ice creams without paying an arm and a leg to your local Jamba Juice:

Peachy Green Ice Cream

Chocolate Covered Strawberry Ice Cream

2. Guzzle down some ice-cold beverages:

z 543

3. Eat your frozen fruit and veggies.

Wait a sec… frozen veggies??? On second thought, just stick with the frozen fruit!

4. Homemade Popsicles!

bunnn

5.Ice Cream Sundaes

z-243

6. Adopt a bathing suit as your summer uniform and high-tail it to the nearest pool.

meg2
Optional: Replace your human friends with one that can give big, wet kisses to cool you off 🙂

blog

1. Kate says:

Hahah. Sounds like a plan! I just got done with a run myself and I am feelin’ hot, hot, HOT! The pool is definetly #1 on my to-do list for this afternoon!

2. ballerinaeats says:

Awesome summer ideas! That popsicle holder is the cutest thing I’ve ever seen…. ok maybe tied with your nail polish! Haha.
    The peachy green ice cream looks amazing. I’ll have to give that one a try for sure!
    Have an awesome week 🙂

3. Yay for your chilly tips! I will definitely be needing them here in Bahrain this summer. The daily temps are already hovering around 115 F with 99% humidity. Misery! And we still have 4 months left to go before the Arabian summer finally lays off…..ughhgg….

4. Girlfriend knows how to do it right! I like your ideas. 🙂 And even if my roommate WAS home, I don’t know that I wouldn’t be in my underwear anyway. No shame. 😛

5. haha that was great! i love #5. ice cream? yes, please!

6. Run Sarah says:

What a cute post! As it gets hotter here I am eating more and more cool treats: )

7. I have gone so far as to sit, in my underwear, on a bag of frozen veggies!… I probably shouldn’t have admitted that…

8. Maria says:

Haha, very nice post ;). I don’t know how you can stand the heat in Texas. Here in the Pacific Northwest it’s been in the low 70’s. But, when it is in the 80s (which is hot for us, haha), there’s nothing like cold ice cream and cold soup (i like it with seaweed + cucumbers + japanese seasonings). Delicious and refreshing!

9. Shelby says:

What an amazing post! Its getting pretty hot here too so I will be sure to use some of your tips for staying cool.

Maybe not so much the bra and underwear one… 😉

10. Jessica says:

We’re supposed to hit the mid-90s in St. Louis this week, so great timing!

I love making icy lemonade by blending water, lemon juice, a little agave or maple syrup, and a handfull of ice! I don’t know what it is about citrus that helps me cool off…

11. Whit says:

Haha, thanks for the tips!

I love Walk the Line too, and am equally saddened by the steep decline of JP’s looks.

12. psychoj1 says:

Love this post! I think I’ll take up most of your ideas, just probs not the bra and underwear one 😉 I think my family would kick me out or scream. lol.
    <3 jess

13. Katharina says:

Ummm I’m guilty of eating frozen veggies.. and popping some frozen edamame too.

14. CurlyTop says:

Katie,

I eat in my underwear all the time. Actually, in the summertime, I basically live in bikinis. I go to the gym, shower put on the bikini, and when it comes time to go to work I just put clothes on over it… Heck-if it looks like underwear and feels like underwear-why not? ;P

With Love,

Emily

15. Gliding Calm says:

i definitely just shivered reading this post in a cold room with wet hair!!

love your tips though!!! 🙂

16. actually frozen veggies isn’t that crazy of a notion! i froze a big bunch of kale and collard greens, which i add to berry smoothies whenever it’s too hot to make real food 🙂 it’s a very handy way to keep those wilt-able greens fresh and ready to go at all times.

17. Marianne says:

I find that living in the basement (as I do) is the best “keep cool” secret I have! Plus my cat doesn’t mind if I lounge in my underwear. HA!

I love your penguin cup 🙂

18. This is an awesome post – full of such great ideas! I always find it so interesting how my cravings change depending on the weather and the seasons. Now that the weather has warmed up, I crave frozen smoothies and fresh fruit. And the idea of oatmeal just doesn’t sound appealing. However, in the cooler months, all I can think about are sweet potatoes, hot soups and chowders, oatmeal and cappucinos 🙂

Enjoy your privacy and keep cool!

19. Bibis says:

COOL post jajaja

20. Jane says:

i’ve never heard of a pepper sprout. is that real? like a broccoli sprout, only pepper? hmm, i’ll have to add that to my list of sprouting options in the winter…

i just noticed the comment above- is Christian Bale really vegan?! Mmm he’d be my vegan crush for sure then! oh, after my boyfriend of course…oops…. 😉