My Cousin Vinegar

Maybe it’s because our family is from New York, but the movie My Cousin Vinny leaves us in hysterics every time we watch it. And I have a cousin who might just be the long lost twin of Marisa Tomei.

Are there any movies you and your family can watch over and over again that remind you of yourselves? We think my Mimi is a carbon copy of Marie, the mom in Everybody Loves Raymond. But don’t tell her that.

my_cousin_vinny_ver2

Recently, I received the following email:

Hey Katie, I’m writing you an email today because I wanted to ask you about vinegar. Strange topic, huh? I read a post of yours where you made a stir fry with vinegar as one of the ingredients, and I was wondering if you used the vinegar just for its taste or if you used it for all its health benefits that I’ve been hearing about on various blogs lately. Is vinegar really healthy for you? Should I be taking shots of it, like one blogger suggested? Please say no! Can you share your stir fry recipe so I don’t have to take shots to get my healthy dose of vinegar? Plus, it looks so yummy, especially over those wheatberries—the non burnt ones, of course!

Wow, you remember from an old post! (I think you mean this post: Skinny Bitch burns food in the Kitch.)

I wasn’t aware of vinegar’s health benefits, so I googled it.  According to some sources, apple cider vinegar contains potassium, malic acid, calcium, pectin, ash (whatever that is!), beta carotene, and acetic acid, and it can help:

• Alleviate joint pain and stiffness, arthritis, and weak bones
  • Remove toxins from the body by helping to improve bowel irregularity
  • Clear up skin conditions and blemishes, giving one a smoothier complexion
  • Break down fats for easier use in the body
  • Alleviate heartburn and headaches
  • Circulation and blood flow
  • Regulate blood pressure and metabolism

Sounds like a wonder drug, no?  Remember that I’m not a doctor; I just found some information online. But even if the above information turns out to not be completely true, the recipe below still tastes great!

z 951

Stir Fry Salad

This is the perfect recipe for those sweltering summer days when you’re craving cooked veggies but don’t want to eat hot food.  You can sub in any veggies you like; I use what I have on hand, so it changes.  The ingredients below are just examples.

• 1 head cauliflower, chopped
  • 1 package snow peas
  • 1 package mushrooms
  • Other veggies (asparagus, green beans, sprouts, okra, etc)
  • 3-4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (depending on how many veggies you use)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (you can also spritz on some Braggs liquid aminos, before eating)
  • Sauté the cauliflower in water, oil, or broth (you can add garlic too, if you wish) until it’s kind of soft (about 10 minutes).  Add salt and pepper.

Throw in the snow peas (and other veggies) and cook for about 5 more minutes, then add the mushrooms. Cook for about 5-10 minutes more, depending on how soft you like your veggies.  (Alternatively, you can steam your veggies in the microwave.) Add the vinegar and mix to coat the veggies.  Portion the veggies into Pyrex-type dishes and put ‘em in the fridge until ready to eat.

Chocolate-Covered Meals of the Day

meal

Above, the kabocha-mousse meal from this post,

snack

Above, a veggie-ful snack

onsaladgreens

Above, Stir Fry Salad, featuring broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, zucchini, chard, tomatoes, etc. In true salad form, it’s sitting atop a bed of raw spinach.

And what’s that next to the stir fry? It’s hulled (blended) barley pilaf.

blend

1. Daria says:

Longtime reader, first-time commenter! My brothers and I used to watch What About Bob over and over again…I guess this means that our family is either super uptight or super annoying?

Also I *love* vinegar way more than is probably normal. I’m definitely down for drinking it straight. 😉

softerbetterslowerstronger.wordpress.com

2. Marianne says:

You have reminded me that I have yet to make a blended pilaf, only oats. Note to self – get on that!

3. Coconutgal says:

Hey my dear! *Not a doctor* either but I have read that AC-vinegar is also good for tummy upset and helps aid in digestion because it’s fermented. I have used it for tummy upset and it has helped. Your stir-fry sounds delish and I have all the ingredients. You know I’m making it tomorrow.
    Hope you are doing well 🙂

4. broccolihut says:

Hmm sounds like I need to get some vinegar. Do you recommend the Bragg’s brand?

5. MarathonVal says:

Thanks for reminding me to use more vinegar!! I don’t seem to use it as much as I used to but it’s healthful AND cheap!

6. mayapamela says:

Never knew that about vinegar, thanks for the info!

7. Shelby says:

I’m going to use vinegar in my stir-fries from now on! What great information =)

8. jen molica says:

i use white vinegar to clean everything in my house, balsamic in most of my salads, and apple cider vinegar for cookin’. never used much of the raw bragg’s though.

9. brandi says:

I love Everybody Loves Raymond – Marie totally reminds me of my grandma 🙂

the blended barley looks so creamy!

10. Emily says:

Everybody Loves Ray is hilarious!

I have never really tried cooking with vinegar! Great Recipe!

11. Apple Cider Vinegar is amazing stuff and it tastes great! I use it to keep pimples at bay and I take it every night before bed to help with my Asthma symptoms, since I don’t take any meds for it.

12. justine says:

Cool, I never thought of using vinegar in a stirfry. Thanks for the idea Katie!

~Justine

13. Thanks for the vinegar factoids – I must have three kind in the cupboard which I manage to forget about…oh every day I think. But vinegar obviously has its benefits for health AND taste, plus I hear you can pretty much clean ANYthing with it! Talk about economical, eh?

And you were so right about roasting kabocha – INFINITY times better than plain steamed. OMG. Thanks for the tip.

14. Christina says:

I just got a food processor and can’t wait to blend all sorts of stuff. Blended barley sounds delicious!

15. Jessica says:

I really need to try your blended grain technique. I have a hand-blender, so it wouldn’t be that hard! I also have a whole bag `o barley that I need to cook up!

I never knew vinegar was so good for you! I’ve always been a big fan…but would definitely not take shots, lol.

16. Maria says:

Two things I must try from this post: the barley blended grain, and the vinegar stir fry! The various veggie combo makes it look extra yummy 🙂

17. Jodye says:

Ah, I love vinegar, especially in my stir fries! I’ve blended oat bran and other grains for breakfast, but I’ve never tried savory blended grains. Perhaps I should give it a try?

18. Virginia says:

i love vinegar but i use it the most for CLEAnING! It is a great natural cleaner when paired with baking soda…i pour it down the drain and let it foam…clean out the dishwasher, scrub sinks, etc, etc.!

19. I had no idea your family were from NY! Are there members of your clan still there? All my family aside from parents/brothers are there. Everybody Loves Raymond (Ray’s parents) have long been making me and my mom laugh for how much they resemble my aunt and uncle…lol. When I miss them, I just watch the show 😛

I love vinegar- I had no idea it was such a powerhouse. Though am guessing you need a lot to get the benefits- I read some hype a few years ago about apple cider vinegar and it recommended something nuts like drinking 1 cup a day. I tried it for like…a tablespoon 😛 Balsamic is my all-time favorite!

20. Sweet and Fit says:

omgosh this looks soooooooo goood! I have to make this!