Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

A German Chocolate Pancake Feast

I’ve blogged before about my dad’s penchant for making me pancakes.

And my own penchant for eating them in a very strange manner

Back to the subject.  This Fathers’ Day, I turned the tables: Instead of Daddy Dearestcooking me pancakes, I whipped some up for him.  But these weren’t just any old pancakes.  Nope, I decided to put on my extra-special chef’s hat thinking cap and have a little fun! (I didn’t have a real chef’s hat. Thank goodness for Photoshop.)

Uh-oh… this could be dangerous.  What’s she going to create now?

German Chocolate Pancakes, that’s what!  In the end, it was between that and Pina Colada Pancakes.  But German Chocolate eventually won out because– let’s face it– chocolate always does.

(Above, my Daddy’s German Chocolate feast, accompanied by fresh apple slices and pure maple syrup)

German Chocolate Pancakes

For the topping, I covered each pancake in chocolate coconut butter then sprinkled on chopped pecans and shredded coconut.

(Smothered in maple syrup, the way all German Chocolate pancakes should be)

I used my own whole-wheat vegan pancake recipe, which is my go-to recipe for perfect pancakes. I also added some maple syrup to the batter.  My dad’s love of the stuff rivals Will Ferrel’s!

Buddy the Elf: “We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup!” 🙂

Someday, I’m going to have to do something about those Pina Colada pancakes.  They’re just begging to be made…

1. Emily says:

Those German chocolate pancakes look incredibly delicious. I’d love to take part in your pancake challenge. Hopefully I can dream up a recipe as creative as yours.

2. brandi says:

those pancakes look amazing! i’ll start thinking about pancakes 🙂

3. A.Cook says:

Wow those pancakes look SO good–I bet your dad was really pleased with them! I definitely want to join in the dessert pancake challenge…I’ve gotta do some brainstorming today!

4. Anne K. says:

Those pancakes look so decadent! I love that last picture 😀 I’ll start trying to come up with ideas 🙂

5. German chocolate pancakes!!?! YES PLEASE! Those look just crazy delicious, yum!

6. VeganWoman says:

Oh wow! Those look extremely delicious. I LOVE the Chocolate Coconut sauce!

7. Maria says:

Ooooh those pancakes look so amazing, Katie! Can’t go wrong with chocolate and coconut ;). If I can think of something fabulous I will join you!

8. I love german chocolate anything. Those are too good to be true.

9. Marianne says:

Mmmm, dessert pancakes. If I had any pancake making skills, I would so come up with some dessert pancakes wonders 😀

10. JB says:

this is why i love you. you make the most amazing stuff. those look incredible. and you’re too cute in your chef’s hat. i can’t get over it! i’ll try to partake in this challenge, but i’m not much of a pancake maker. so we’ll see. but i’m looking very forward to seeing pina colada pancakes! definitely make them! 🙂

11. I love pancakes too!

Love the embelishments to the pancakes. Looks scrumptious!

12. Sünne says:

I’m from Germany AND I love chocolate so how could I possibly resist German Chocolate Pancakes????
    As for the challenge: If I can motivate myself to start a blog during the next two weeks I might participate. I’ll let you know!

13. Sünne says:

Oops, something seems to have gone wrong with my post …

14. Your pancakes look and sound SOOOOOOOOO good! I’ll see if I can come up with a dessert pancake recipe… 🙂

15. Oh no, this sounds almost too good to pass up! Hmm, time to put the chef’s hat on …

16. Erin says:

Oh my god those look good! How could I possible create something even more special than german chocolate pancakes?!

17. Kiki says:

Yum, chocolate anything is always the best! This sounds so fun, I’m going to brainstorm some pancake dessert ideas soon.

18. Kate says:

holy yum those look amazing…!

19. Julie says:

Very yummy those pancakes. I’m not sure I can get into the challenge in the next two weeks, but I’ll try to ! Promise !

20. Erin says:

Oh, my Katie. You are the queen of decadent and mouth watering breakfasts. I just made my mom blueberry pancakes for Mother’s Day (I’m even later than you!), but they were nothing compared to those beauties above. I’m putting on my thinking cap for a seriously delicious pancake recipe now!