Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The Seaweed is always Greener

In somebody else’s lake… Look, it’s not a post about pancakes!

All the Way  Arame Salad is making its way around the world! Seriously, give this stuff a try—even if you think you don’t like seaweed.  The less-intense flavor of arame (as opposed to hijiki) combined with the sweet-tangy sauce make this salad a delicious way to add tons of fiber, calcium, iodine, and other important nutrients to your diet.

All the Way Arame Salad

Usually, I don’t like raw, crunchy carrots nor raw bell peppers, but in this tangy-sweet dressing I find myself chomping raw carrots like Bugs Bunny. Snack, lunch, dinner… it’s even good at breakfast.  Don’t judge!

As much as I like ugly foods (hello peachy green ice cream!), prettiness just adds to the enjoyment of a meal. Don’t judge by appearances… blah blah blah.  But I can’t be the only one who feels this way, can I?

All the Way Arame Salad, cashews, a peach, wheatberry-apple pilaf, and brussels sprouts chips. Is it weird to eat roasted b-sprouts in the summer?  They’re actually one of my favorite summer foods, especially at snacktime—I pop ‘em cold, like chips! Remember kale chips?

1. Erin says:

You are so cute Katie. Thanks for the mention! I am still lovin’ on that salad. I added extra cucumber and vinegar and it was divine. Now, I need a steady supply of seaweed for the rest of summer!
    And I still eat roasted sweet potatoes…and brussel sprouts. They’re just too good to give up for warm weather.

2. brandi says:

mm..i love roasted brussel sprouts :)

3. Marianne says:

It is a very vibrant & colourful salad. Strangley, I save all my seaweed consumption for sushi. I do enjoy the stuff, so I don’t know why I don’t try it in other dishes. I guess it’s the whole “not knowing what to do with it” thing.

4. Kiersten says:

I just watched the Little Mermaid a few days ago. That’s one of my favorite movies!

I wasn’t sold on this salad the first time you mentioned it. I haven’t eaten much seaweed aside from when it’s wrapped around sushi. You sold me this time though, I think I’ll suck it up and give it a try.

5. Jessica says:

Alright, alright…I guess I should give it a try! I admit, I’m not a big fan of anything from the sea — I don’t even like the way it smells! I’ve been able to tolerate veg sushi a few times in the past, so maybe I’ll end up loving the arame salad!

6. I’ve never had arame. But some sea veggies are too fishy-tasting for me…so I’d probably like this milder tasting one better. I’ll have to look for it.

7. Maria says:

I’ve been looking for arame at the Asian market, and I think I found it…not sure because it’s in Japanese. I will have to just check it out!

I’m totally with you on food appearance, Katie. I usually try recipes and get more excited over food that are prettier. But that doesn’t mean I neglect the ugly ones!

I haven’t had brussel sprouts since the winter, but those chips sound yummy!!!

8. Amanda says:

Yum! You just solved my seaweed mystery, Katie! I had the most amazing salad at a restaurant while on vacation last week..I couldn’t figure out what kind of seaweed they used but in seeing your photos, I realize it’s arame!! Yay! Not much luck on the bar research so far to report. I tried the Pure Cranberry Orange and really loved it BUT it’s not chocolate. And you of all people understand I’m sure that there can be no compromise..he he he! But I did find the Pacifica Mexican chocolate soap..sooooo nice!

9. Listen, dawg, don’t you ever think roasted vegetables go “out of season.” I don’t care if it’s a billion degrees in my apt; I will roast (even broil) some veggies up if I’ve got the hankering, and brussels often top the list!

I am excited to experiment with seaweed, so I will mark the arame as “to-try.” Sounds like a winner!

10. JB says:

the link to my blog doesn’t work because you forgot the “s” in “cardiovegsular.” but it doesn’t matter, don’t worry about it. arame is the best!

11. MarathonVal says:

12. MarathonVal says:

I used to HATE brussel sprouts as a kid, but now I love them!! I definitely would love to find some news ways to make them though, since I’m pretty boring about it – since I haven’t been making them that long, I’m used to just a bit of EVOO and garlic…… I need to branch out!!

13. Sagan says:

Salads look loverly!

14. miss v says:

i love all sorts of seaweed… i’m going to try your tangy dressing the next time i soak up a bowl!

15. Christina says:

Can you believe I’ve never tried seaweed? I’m gunna check out my Asian grocery store this week because that salad looks fab!

16. DJ says:

Pancake-y one minute, savoury the next… I can’t keep up!!

17. Cody says:

I just had to check to see if that’s the same stuff in the Big Blue bath bomb — and it is.

So, while I’ve never eaten it, I have bathed in it many times.

(Also, I’ve had Under the Sea stuck in my head since I first glanced at this post earlier today. I’m now thinking that a bath with Big Blue and the Little Mermaid soundtrack would be just silly enough to be awesome.)

18. Shelby says:

I must get some seaweed soon! I’ve only heard amazing things about it =)

19. ttfn300 says:

i looked at seaweed in the store… but didn’t buy it as i’m trying to use what’s already in my kitchen… i might have to break that rule :)

20. Ricki says:

I love arame, too! I’ve had it in kale and seaweed salad and edamame/arame salad, but now must try your version, too! Always looking for new ways to incorporate sea veggies!

No need to apologize for missing a post–I know what it’s like to be overwhelmed and not have enough time to read/comment as much as you’d like to. If only days had 36 hours instead of 24!

21. Kelly says:

Okay, you’ve convinced me! I think I’ll look for some arame next time I’m out. The salad looks super summery, and I think that *eating* seaweed will help make up for my inability to *swim* in seaweed-laden ocean water thanks to New England’s chilly weather lately!

22. Kelly Turner says:

im convinced if i learned how to make my own sushi i would never eat anything else- which is why I have never bought seaweed before. may need to change my tune

23. broccolihut says:

“You dream about going up there, but that is a big mistake.” It’s kinda scary how much of that song I know by heart.

Anyway, I really must make a trip to WF for some of this arame. You make it look so good!

24. Gaby says:

I haven’t seen Arame yet, but I made Hijiki salad wraps today for lunch! It kind of looks the same though I don’t really know about the taste.
    I LOVE brussel sprouts!

25. jrsimon56 says:

Mmmm…love seaweed. I need to use it more. Meanwhile, I have noticed you and others talk about overnight oats. What is the process? Thanks!

26. mihl says:

I don’t think I can get arame here, but I am very intriegued. I need to have a better look at the Asian stores.

27. Sal says:

definitely not weird to eat roasted brussels in the summer – you’ve just made me want some!!

I’ll have to try the salad, I’m not sure if I like seaweed either. but then the only stuff I’ve tried is nori on sushi rolls and I’m not a huge lover of that.

28. HaHa! my daughter laughs at me because I want my food to look pretty:) I still have not been brave enough to try seaweed. Just the thought makes me cringe. He, I did have dulse granules yesterday! Does that count? I may have to give your salad a try but no promises:)

29. elise says:

im so obsessed with sesame seaweed salads. i had some in yesterdays lunch :)

the brussels look great, i seem to forget about roasted veggies in summer…

30. Metta says:

I LOVE roasted Brussels sprouts anytime of the year, and I eat them cold as a little snackie sometimes too. Not weird at all. :)

31. Emily says:

So colorful!!

I just made some kale chips! Yum!