Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Sneaker-Stealing Seagulls

This little seagull stole sneakers…

This scary mummy stole none.

This little seagull ate All the Way Arame Salad

This little seagull had fun.

And this cute Pink Doughnut Eater sucked his thumb all the way home.

Because I run mainly on grass, my sneakers do not smell too pleasant. (Understatement of the century.) My sneakers smell disgusting!  So, unless a downpour is predicted, said smelly sneakers remain outside when not in use.

A few weeks ago, while my family was vacationing at the beach, I went outside to lace up my sneakers in preparation for my morning run… but someone had beaten me to it. There were two seagulls, red handed beaked, at the scene of the crime, attacking my poor shoes! Luckily, those durable sneakers suffered no lasting damage. But I shudder to imagine why anyone would choose—by his or her own free will—to eat something that smells so repugnant.

Seagulls are strange specimens indeed.

1. Jessica says:

Hehe, I’m pretty sure that birds have a bad sense of smell anyway 😉 I just got a new pair of running shoes and my joints are already thanking me! I wish I had the option to run on grass like you, but I live in the city and it’s all concrete here.

2. ttfn300 says:

hehe, glad the sneakers stayed intact! mine definitely don’t smell like daisies, either 😉

3. Amanda says:

Maybe they were doing a “scavenger” hunt and vegan sneakers were on the list? he he he..

4. DJ says:

They must have tasted really savoury to attract seagulls – aged like a nice bottle of wine, fruitcake or sauerkraut perhaps? (^_^)

5. Maria says:

Haha, really? I’ve never really observed seagulls too closely, but now I shall have to see what kinds of strange things they eat 😉

6. buffmuffy says:

lol cute. yuck, grass sneakers! lol :)
    i cant get over how gorg you are!

7. *Andrea* says:

cute post from a cute blogger 😉 seagulls can be very strange and sneaky – i went to the beach 2 days ago and a seagull grabbed the pretzels out of my ziplock bag that was resting on my towel right next to me!!

8. Alison says:

How cute! I love the mummy. I’m not a grass runner – I’m always nervous that I’ll trip and sprain an ankle.

9. Haha oh no! I’m glad your sneakers survived the attack! :)

10. Shelby says:

Your poor sneakers!!!

11. Vegetation says:

Haha, it’s amazing what seagulls will take!!! Glad you managed to save your sneakers at least!

12. Gertrude says:

You should google “Sam the Seagull” on youtube if you have not already watched it before!!

13. randomlymikey says:

ha ha. how cute! did they smell like fries?

14. broccolihut says:

Haha, seagulls are strange/hungry creatures. I’m not sure any living thing would want to stick their schnoz into my sneakers!

15. jd says:

This is hilarious!

I love that you caught the seagulls “red beaked!” And I’m glad that your shoes survived, too!

16. Christina says:

I’m not surprised – Seagulls will eat anything! Glad no harm was done though :)

17. Hey Katie! Just stumbled across your blog…it’s very entertaining & informative, and all of your eats look delicious! You are adorable in that picture, by the way :-) Have a good one!

18. Food n Fitness says:

HAHA poor sneakers–glad they survived!

19. Taymer says:

Yes very strange. Made me laugh with this post.:)
    Have a good day

20. CD always runs on the grass too – much less impact, and much better for the bod.

My theory is that you accidentally dropped some banana bread blended grains on your shoe one morning without realizing. The birds simply smelled to goodness. :)

21. Sweetie Pie says:

I’ve always been kind of creeped out by sea gulls. This only adds to my belief that they are weird weird birdies! Glad your shoes survived!

22. Jessica says:

Haha, I keep my sneaks in the garage because of critters :)

I just found your blog, and love that you did a week of spiralized-meals! Your recipes looked awesome :)