My Morning Routine

When I wake up in the morning

And the ‘larm lets out a warning
I don’t think I’ll ever make it on time
By the time I get my books and I give myself a look
I’m at the corner just in time to see the bus slide by
It’s alright cause I’m saved by the bell

saved-by-the-bell

Reminisce with me: Who  else, growing up, loved loved loved Saved by the Bell? I know I can’t be the only one! But have you watched that show recently (super-early in the am, you can sometimes find SBTB reruns)?  It’s ridiculously dumb. I mean, in the episode I caught, Zach—who has no dance experience—stars in a ballet so that he can graduate from high school.

Still, I hold nothing but fond memories of my SBTB-watching days. How many of you, like me, wanted to be Kelly Kapowski? How many of you wished to go on a date with cute Zach Morris (or hunky A.C. Slater)? Or participate in a dance-off at the Max, make a video yearbook, star in the school production of Snow White and the Seven Dorks…

But there I go on a tangent again. The only thing today’s post has in common with Saved by the Bell is the title. After receiving a comment asking about my morning routine, I thought it might be a fun topic for a post.  Therefore…

My Morning Routine

Most likely, nobody (excluding the commenter and yours truly) cares about this. So hopefully I won’t bore you too much.

I usually wake up naturally, around six or seven. Alarm clocks and I do not get along; I think I was scarred for life by my sister’s old clock—an electric-guitar-playing chicken! I throw on my running clothes—laid out the night before—and head downstairs for “first breakfast.” Lately, first breakfast consists of some fruit (kiwi, peach, grapefruit half, watermelon, what-have-you), nuts, and maybe a cracker or two.  Yesterday’s brekkie was the following:

100_7847

I think cashews are my favorite nuts. And whenever I eat oranges, I’m reminded of playing soccer as a kid. Anyone else remember eating oranges at halftime? Do kids still do that?

Properly fueled, it’s time to get revved up for the day. Nothing beats a good, hard run first-thing in the morning to wake up one’s senses. I don’t wear any of those newfangled gadgets, but I do have a fancy-schmancy $10 watch, and I’m usually outside for a little over an hour.

Then, second breakfast.

According to sources such as Runner’s World Magazine, it’s important to refuel within 15-30 minutes of working out. So I usually do most of the breakfast prep-work the night before.

brekkie

I knew exactly what I wanted today: Peanut Butter Barley Fusion (with a few modifications, alongside a bursting-with-ripeness peach and sweet blueberries)

z 1476

And that, dear readers, concludes my Morning Routine.

Tags:

1. Gertrude says:

haha. omg. i had that same alarm clock once upon a time!!!!!!!!! and you turned it off by pressing on the chicken’s comb!!! wow. lol. thanks for the memory…

i’ve never watched much TV. I think i didn’t have a TV in wherever i lived for most of my life.

Dont have a morning routine either. Most things I do are pretty spontaneous. Though most mornings I’m up by 7am. =)

2. I am gluten free so I dont do barley, but the PB combo I bet is awesome. I could probably recreate with oat bran or oats of course but the barley looks so creamy and good!

3. Liz says:

Hiya Katie :)

Just realised you left an oh-so-sweet comment on another one of my older posts, the sans-pictures one – thanks so much! You’re the best.

I *loved* Saved By The Bell – but I only ever saw it on cable, since we never got it on free-to-air TV here in Australia.

As for my morning routine…
    My Tinkerbell alarm clock (which I got from Disneyland and love to pieces) wakes me up at 5 am. I get changed into my also pre-laid-out exercise gear and do a few push ups/crunches/whatever. Then I have a cup of green tea and go for a run for 20 – 30 minutes (I do another 20 – 30 later in the day). Lately it’s been on my Wii Fit since it’s pretty cold and dark outside!
    Then, I shower, change into my uniform and make everyone breakfast. I grab my school bag, pack my lunch into it, eat my breakfast and walk to the train!

Bet that was incredibly boring to read :)
    Liz

4. jd says:

Wow, Katie! I totally admire you for your awesome/healthy breakfast routine! (But not for getting that damn SBTB theme song in my head – LOL!) The fact that you go running each day is so great – I’m just not quite there right now on the grand motivational scale, although I do adore my leisurely evening walks!

As for me, I’m completely NOT a morning person, so my AM routine is pretty sparse. Some breakfast (usually cereal or oatmeal, fruit, and tea); some complaining (about the fact that I stayed up far too late the night before); and a good-bye kiss from my bf (how sweet!) is about it.

However, when it comes to the weekend, my Sunday mornings were definitely created for smoothies, followed by a leisurely morning/afternoon at Starbucks with a soy latte, my guy, and the New York Times…

5. ~Jessica~ says:

I loved hearing about your routine!

Actually, mine is pretty similar (we run almost the same distance in the same time!) except for the fact that I can’t face food first thing, so I run on an empty stomach and then have one GINORMOUS breakfast when I come back. I kid you not, it’s enough to serve two people.

When I’m on a ‘non-impact’ day I’ll get up at the same time and do an exercise DVD before brekkie, then go to a spin class (the greatest form of non-impact cardio ever). I wish I was as focused as you, though: I need my iPod to jam along to as I go!

6. Katie says:

Haha! I still watch Saved By the Bell…of course if there is nothing else on. Which, there never is that early in the morning. =P

Yummy oats. I will have to try that some time. I had Apple Pie Oats today. YUM!

7. tabitha says:

what a great morning routine!
    makes me want to make that mine…if only i could haul three little kids out of bed and out on the run with me :)
    breakfasts look awesome!

saved by the bell…ah, that was a favorite
    i couldn’t decide who i liked more….zach or slater
    they kind of had lots of love triangles going though…which was weird and they always still liked each other
    i loved kelly because she had a round face like me :)

8. *Andrea* says:

ooo fun post!!! i love working out first thing too – sets a good tone on the day :) and yes, i was ADDICTED to saved by the bell, or more specifically zack morris hehe. i would watch with my nextdoor neighbor/best friend danny and we would sit o n my couch with blankies in our mouths just watching the show haha. the college years weren’t my fav tho 😉

9. Ashley says:

How much do I love your Saved By the Bell reference?!?!? Too cute! I really thought that’s what high school was going to be like!!

You’re super organized in the morning! I really admire that you can get up and go for a run straight away. My weekday mornings usually see me getting out of bed between 6 and 7, getting dressed then making breakfast for Joey & I. We leave for work together which is really nice!

10. Sal says:

I used to love Saved By the Bell. And California Dreams!! hahaha.

That alarm clock sounds like hell, I hate my alarm and it only beeps!

11. Shelby says:

I wasn’t old enough to watch it but I used to catch the reruns in middle school and LOVED IT! I still see it and watch it from time to time =) I always wanted to be Kelly! And Zach was so cute, I’d pick him over Slater any day!

Mmm, I NEED that PB&J cereal! Sounds so good!

12. DJ says:

Oh yeah, me and my little bro used to watch ‘Saved by the Bell’, almost viewing it as a documentary account of high school life in America LOL! Though ‘SBTB: The New Class’ never inspired our loyalty the same way. Your breakfasts look so delicious and healthy – I love the idea of the peanut-butter banana barley cereal – yum! My morning routine revolves around getting my girl fed, watered and ready for school. It’s usually ten o’clock before I get a chance to have anything other than coffee myself!

13. brandi says:

i used to watch SBTB every morning :) i wish I could do this every morning, but there is NO way I would get to work on time!

14. CaSaundra says:

Sounds like a fun morning! I think mornings are the best time during a day! I get up, read/post blogs, eat, shower/get ready and start my day!

15. fitforfree says:

My sister had that alarm clock too!!!!! AHHHH! Haven’t thought about that in years!

16. Kiersten says:

I used to LOVE SBTB! I’ve seen every episode like 100 times. You’re right, it’s so funny to watch it now that we are older and realize how lame it is.

My morning routine is always the same old thing: wake up around 7-7:30, take the dog for a quick walk, feed the animals, and then make myself coffee/breakfast. I usually do the crossword puzzle while I eat my breakfast too. Call me a creature of habit.

17. Cassie says:

I never really got into Saved by the Bell much…I was more into Rugrats, the Cosby Show, and Three’s Company. In fact, I still love Three’s Company. Nick @ Night (and in the morning) rocks!
    Anyways, my morning routine currently goes like this:
    -wake up naturally at around 6:30 or 7
    -hour of yoga or half hour of walking/running/biking (and then yoga later on in the day)
    -breakfast consisting of hot cereal, toast, fruit, pb, or whatever else I feel like having (sometimes a little dark chocolate too 😉 )
    -wash face and go on with the rest of the day
    This whole routine is about to be turned upside down though, when I move to college. woo hoo!

18. Cassie:
    Dark chocolate for breakfast?! I love you!!!

19. I LOVEEE cashews too. Every time I step into a Walgreens I have to be careful bc I always see the 2/$5 cashew cans. They are the most addicting things ever :) Never seen that powder before.. looks really interesting!

What a fun routine ! Keep it up girly <3

20. i totally love your blog girlie : ) its too cute!!

oh cashews are SO the best nuts (sorry almonds)
    I admire that you can naturally wake up at six!