Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Better than Peanut Butter?

Yes, the following is better than peanut butter.

I know, you’re all rolling your eyes right now, saying, “How can anything (besides chocolate) be better than peanut butter?” Hear me out; this spread has the one-up on regular pb because it:

• is easier to spread
  • is lower in calories (more about this at the end of the post)
  • tastes sweeter, without any added sugar, and has a serving of fruit

Above, spread on top of Banana Bread for One.

Another bonus: This recipe doesn’t make as much of a mess as trying to smush sliced banana into a sandwich. As usual, the recipe is so simple that I feel a little silly writing it down.

Banana Butter

• 1 medium banana
  • 2 to 4 tablespoons peanut butter, depending on how pb-y you like it (or almond, cashew, walnut butter, etc.)
  • optional: I like to add a little cinnamon

My favorite ratio is 4 tablespoons peanut butter to 80 grams (without peel) banana (about 1/2 a large banana). And I often use a frozen banana, which makes this spread taste like peanut butter ice cream!

Procedure: Whir the two ingredients in your food processor or blender until smooth.  Leftovers can be stored in the fridge.  (If possible, it’s best to let the mixture sit for a few hours before enjoying, as the taste becomes more robust with time.)

Above, spread over a Breakfast Pizza Cake.

Other Ideas for Use:

This creation can be used anywhere you’d use regular peanut butter—warmed up and drizzled over oatmeal, as a sandwich spread, dip, or pudding, as a smooth-and-velvety topping for waffles or pancakes, on vegan ice cream, or simply eaten plain off a spoon (or out of the blender, depending on your level of self-restraint!).

As for calories… Ok, so I’m having a bit of a dilemma: Recently I’ve been getting quite a few requests from readers asking if I can add calorie counts to my recipes. I don’t count calories, but I know that a lot of you (readers and fellow bloggers) do count. So, since I really try hard to make my recipes—and my blog in general—suitable for everyone, and since it’s not hard for me to figure out the calorie counts anyway, I thought I’d ask: Do you want me to add calorie info to my recipes? Please vote; either way, I’m interested in hearing your opinion. And until I figure this dilemma out, here are the nutritional stats for the banana butter:

Banana Butter Calories:

Serving Size: 1 tablespoon (based on my favorite combination)
Calories per serving: about 40 calories
(As a reference, regular peanut butter has about 100 calories per tablespoon.)

Yes, there is a chocolate version.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. buffmuffy says:

WOW what a great idea! I love bananas and pb together, so making a spread out of them is such a fantastic idea! Loves it! Great cals too, so I can eat the whole jar right? LOL

2. Jen says:

mmm I wonder how long it stays good for in the fridge…I guess the length a refridgerated banana would stay good for lol!. Katie I wonder what would happen if you caramelized the banana first like the brulee method and then blended…probably be super sweet.

I vote no to cals…too numerical. It would take away from the veganny goodness.

3. Emma says:

I’d say no to calorie counting. If other people want to know the calorie content, they can work it out for themselves, there are lots of websites to help them out with it too. Plus, it’s not really relevant. A lot of people get obsessed with numbers, but your blog is about enjoying food, you can’t enjoy food and worry about numbers at the same time!

4. Ariel says:

Great recipe! 🙂 I love making up new varieties of nut butter and nut milk.

I’m happy to see so many of your readers saying no to calorie counting. I like the fact that you don’t focus on calories– it saddens me to see people obsessing over numbers and feeling guilty or virtuous according to what they eat! I know that many people find it useful to count calories, but I think that it draws attention away from eating a healthy and varied diet and leads people to choose foods because they are low in calories/fat/carbs rather than because they truly enjoy them. I’ve had people tell me that they don’t eat avocado and coconut like I do because they are so “fattening”, or that they won’t eat a potato or a slice of whole grain bread because they are full of carbohydrates, yet they pour aspartame into their coffee and eat 100-calorie packages of cookies and chips.

I’ve become disillusioned with a lot of other food blogs over time, but yours is always a joy to read. I like your philosophy that food is meant to be enjoyed and I like that you post about other aspects of your life, as well, such as travel, your family, and your volunteer work– by the way, I’d love to hear more about the charity projects you’ve mentioned!

5. itstartedwithafish says:

Genius looks at the ordinary and finds an extra-ordinary take on it, – so, what can I say? pure genius, Katie, PURE genius.

And, – the kids will LOVE you !!!! (at least the oldest J, peanut butter lover par excellence that he is 😉 )

Elvis butter, – oh yeah, that rocks !!!!!

6. Anon. says:

I’m just curious, but as someone who is as thin as you are and who has said before that they would like to gain weight – I have to ask:

Why do you keep replacing high-calorie foods with things that are lower in calories? I mean, zucchini pasta? Banana butter? Truly. For someone who runs several miles, is already very thin – that is not a good idea. You need the fuel found in REAL foods that are calorically dense in order to keep yourself going. I’m not trying to bash you, but it is kind of a cause for concern. There is nothing wrong with eating real PB or real pasta – in fact I eat about 1/4 cup of PB and a plate of pasta on a daily basis. Because, like you, I am a runner and am naturally thin to begin with. And we NEED the calories and energy provided by whole grains and fats. I’ve read your blog for awhile now, and while I know you say you eat 2600 calories a day, and I believe that – it does concern me that every recipe you post now seems to be getting lower and lower and calories. What happened to the good, calorie-dense, brain and body feeding foods?

7. Ohhh I now know what I’m gonna do with those nannas on my countertop! Banana butter, awesome idea. Thank you!

Girlfriend, putting calorie counts on recipes is alot of work. If you care to add to the stress/workload of running your blog, awesome. If you don’t, don’t. You will never be able to please everyone, either. To include or not to include calorie counts. Just please yourself 🙂

8. Tay says:

I am for sur trying out that one. Thanks girl!!

9. VeganBabette says:

I say no to calories.
    I imagine this blog already takes a lot of your time, so there’s no need for you to spend more time counting them.

Since you usually give recipes, people who do count calories can do so themselves, that’s my opinion.

10. taleoftwovegans says:

I also vote no to adding calorie scores! Personally, I think anyone should be able to figure out if something is worth eating without consulting a calorie count. For exampe, this recipe is bananas, with a few tablespoons of nut butter. What’s not to like? Food is about balance, not numbers! I just got hooked on banana ‘soft serve’ myself – adding a spoonful of nut butter sounds a-ma-zing! -Eve

11. Like most people, I don’t think you should post calories. You don’t count calories, so if people want to know, they can do the maths themselves.

By the way, I’m going to have to make this one day soon now!

12. To Anonymous:

Thank you for leaving such a well-thought-out comment that wasn’t derogatory or accusatory as many anonymous comments can be. To answer your questions:

I DO DO DO eat regular pasta. I love the stuff. Please read through my blog before you assume I don’t eat it, as I have quite a few pasta-centered posts (including Betty Spaghetti, Lo Mein, and Soba). In fact, I’ve actually written a not-yet-published post centering around the goodness of pasta. Look out for it in the future! 😉

Why are my recipes so “light”? As I said in this post, I try to make my recipes suitable for everyone. And I know that many people who read my blog are trying to watch their diets. Therefore, I always include variations such as “sauteeing liquid of choice” instead of saying “oil” etc. That way, people can make the recipes as high-cal or as low-cal as they want.

And I don’t eat this peanut butter spread in place of peanut butter. I do still eat regular nut butters on an almost-daily basis. But I like this one (my mom actually made it up when I was in high school) because it’s easier to spread, less messy, and I think the pb and banana flavors really stand out more when they’re mashed together. Plus, I eat bigger quantities of this stuff than I would regular pb (i.e. I spread more on a sandwich than I would if it were plain pb), so I make up for the extra calories that way.

If you are really interested in my diet/life/philosophy, I’d be happy to talk more through email if you want to de-lurk.

Thanks for reading!

13. What a great idea!

I don’t mind that you don’t post calories – it’s pretty easy to estimate if one is really concerned with how many calories are in a dish, and I think it’s great to promote a less calorie-centric relationship with food. So rock on! 🙂

14. Diann says:

I swear you and I are on some weird psychic wavelength. I made this just last night, except I wasn’t fancy enough to put it in the blender. I added chocolate chips to my banana butter. Because chocolate and peanut butter, well you know….

15. TOTALLY think that you shouldn’t complicate your own life if it’s not what you normally do! If someone wants to find out the calorie count on something, they can 220% always do it on their own!! Don’t worry so much about it Katie! Your loyal readers will always be loyal readers, and I’m sure whoever requests the calorie count will still be a reader despite not having stats. THey just gotta get off their butt and work on their math a little more. 🙂 hehehe

OH and I love the fact that your spread is smoother!!!! and i’m sure it’s more fragrant, and naturally sweeter too!

16. Tori says:

Just stumbled on your blog. That PB spread is too cute. I used to actually make something very similar to that, except I added in vanilla protein powder and a bit of soymilk. Then poured it into a bowl and topped it with granola ^.^ Best snack ever, albeit a bit time consuming to make. Good stuff though!

BTW – In reference to your anon. commenter – I do the SAME thing when I make food for some reason. I know that everyone else in my house doesn’t quite have the same caloric requirements as me, so when I make food for the family, I tend to set aside a bit for myself that I’ll stir-fry up with extra olive oil or add some coconut milk into my rice, add an extra handful of almonds to my side salad etc. The beauty of food is that it’s adaptable to everyone’s needs, and you can even do it up with the same basic ingredients.

17. Jessica says:

I say no to the calories. If people care that much, can’t they just figure it out from how much of each item you put in the recipes? Personally, counting carlories (and pounds!) just leads me to obsessing.

18. *Andrea* says:

ya i agree, calorie counting is just not a good thing in general. too much work for the brain and can lead to obsession. this recipe looks delicious though! and simple 🙂 aka i can recreate it in my dorm

19. CoconutGal says:

Girl, it’s your blog. You don’t count calories. So why, take the extra time to do it for others? I know you are super sweet and want to cater to the greater majority of people. But, in my humble opinion, if those people are counting calories, they can do it themselves. You are busy enough! It’s sweet of you to consider but I say keep your blog as real and fabulous as you are and post what YOU are excited about/want to talk about. That’s why I love you. 🙂

20. Jessica says:

I don’t count calories either because I’m afraid of becoming obsessed. I used to do it, and I just got too tied up on numbers. Besides, its pretty easy for someone to look up nutritional info online if they really want to know.

I bet your banana butter would be AMAZING with my dark chocolate PB! A match made in heaven, perhaps?!? I wish I had a magic bullet, but my food processor might get the job done. Do you use a really ripe banana?