Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Reading Rainbow

Continuing with the non-food-post kick

Growing up in Japan, my sister and I watched very little television.  Rugrats, Eureka’s Castle, Muppet Babies: Japanese cable did not air shows such as these.  Therefore, Little Sister and I found other sources of entertainment. Lacking the distraction of a certain purple dinosaur, we became avid readers. Some favorites, over the years:

• Goodnight Moon
  • Where the Wild Things Are
  • Little Critter
  • Ramona
  • Baby-Sitters Club and Little Sister books (I read them all!)
  • Goosebumps (Ditto.)
  • Sally Lockhart trilogy
  • Ella Enchanted

(Don’t worry, guys: my childhood wasn’t completely devoid of Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers!  We got our telvision fix during summer vacations and trips to Grandma’s.)

The topic of today’s post: Books!

(Yesterday’s Twilight post got me thinking about them.)

What are your favorite books?  Favorite authors?  Favorite childhood books?

My favorite author is Thomas Hardy.  The Mayor of Casterbridge, A Pair of Blue Eyes, Jude the Obscure: I’ve never met a Hardy book I didn’t devour.  But Thomas Hardy is not the most uplifting author (understatement!). So, when I need a fix of happily-ever-after, I turn to Jane Austen.

Other favorites:

• Les Miserables
  • Shogun
  • Jane Eyre
  • Dr. Zhivago
  • Basically anything by Austen or Hardy
  • Harry Potter (thanks, Little Sister, for forcing me to read the first one)
  • The Poisonwood Bible
  • Gone with the Wind

(I like ridiculously-long books and books with sequels because once I get into a story and fall in love with the characters, it’s hard to say goodbye at the end!)

1. GOODNIGHT MOON!!!! I LOVED that 😀 And Ramona, Babysitters Club, Saddle Club, Anastasia :)

Oh, and Judy Blume!

2. OMG you and I are psychic. I just posted a post about 5 min ago that at the bottom asked everyone what their favorite books are? Of course, I hadn’t yet read this post of yours. Too weird :)

And the books you mentioned as a child….I have almost all of them in my little girl’s book bins. We read about 40 books a day to her, not exaggerating. Very little TV, lots of barbie and creative play, and book-a-thon’ing daily. It’s what makes a mind great :)

Love the oat shots and have a great weekend, Katie
    love ya

3. ohkansascity says:

I never read “Goodnight Moon”. My favorite childhood books were those of Nancy Drew. My personal favorite book is “The Great Gatsby”. Oh, and I do love my YA fictions so: Sarah Dessen, Elizabeth Scott, Laurie Halse Anderson, and Deb Caletti.

4. Morgan says:

I ADORED the Baby-Sitters Club books.
    Favorite books ever are: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Marjorie Morningstar, Gone With the Wine and Time Traveler’s Wife!
    Thanks for the shout-out!

5. Cecilia says:

Have you read Anne of Green Gables? It’s goood!

I’m currently reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski.

6. tabitha says:

pp–you’ve never read Goodnight Moon?? I can recite it right now…..”In the Great Green Room, there was a telephone and a red balloon and a picture of (page turn) the cow jumping over the moon.”
    and on and on
    it’s very cute and a fav here
    I hadn’t read it til I had kids and they love books…that is a favorite.
    I also like Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, cause it’s fun to read
    I love you Through and Through

Katie–if you like long books with sequels,
    You must read “Lonesome Dove”
    it’s a wonderful book–you will love it (and I don’t like westerns really…it’s not real “western” just looks that way
    Louis Lamour? I think I spelled it way wrong.
    It’s my all time fav
    The movie is good too if you have 6 hours to kill :)

most the books i read these days are aroud health and children’s health

I also used to love Saddle Club as a young girl
    I do love books when I get time.

7. Katharina says:

Those stories are incredible! I still have my copy of Goodnight Moon. I like to read those books still because it’s nice to be reminded of the imaginative way I use to look at the world :) I love your reason for loving long books and sequels. It’s so true when you fall in love with a character you never want it to end! I like books that talk about life, fiction drama, children’s books, mysteries, some sci-fi (like Ender’s game).

Let’s see.. favorite books? Every single Sark book, Stargirl, Secret Life of Bees, White Oleander, And to Each Season, The Sound of Solitude, Catcher in the Rye, Vivian Lives, Running with Scissors, HARRY POTTER SERIES!

All those oats look so yummy. The second to last one reminds me of a banana split! BANANA SPLIT OATS! Holy crap I’m going to make that ASAP.

8. Marina says:

That’s a hard question. I love reading books, books that touch me in some way, make my cry, or laugh. I love russian realism, like Ana Karenina. Then, one of my favorites is Richard Bach- Illusions. I also like “His dark materials”… there are just too many books I like to remember them now 😀 I hate that during semester, I don’t have time to do some reading for my soul. Only anatomy,physiology and such books

9. Jenny R. says:

I looooooove books…they keep me sane during school – when I’m reading endless science jargon it’s good to be able to take breaks by reading normal sentences and paragraphs lol. Katie, I also looooved babysitters club and Goosebumps (I used to get so freaked out) And those Mr. and Mrs. books (like Mr. Bossy, Mr. Uppity..etc).

As for now..I’m reading the Lovely Bones. I haven’t gotten far but it’s sort of depressing. Everyone says it’s amazing I gotta keep reading. My favourite book I think is East. You have to read it if you like fantasy (which I don’t and still loved it). I gotta check out some of those books you listed though…I haven’t read many classics and feel so guilty. Gotta get on that 😉

10. K says:

Childhood favorites: Goosebumps, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Babysitter’s Club Mysteries.

Now, I love American literature from the 1920’s and 30’s- Faulkner, Steinbeck, Fitzgerald and…

Ray Bradbury.

I don’t have one favorite book though.

I’ve been looking for that mighty maple flavor of PB forever, we just don’t seem to carry it in my town…

11. Jenny says:

I used to be obsessed with all things cat in the hat.. Im pretty sure I dressed as Thing One (or thing two, I don’t discriminate) every year for halloween until I was like.. 17. I also <3'd Courdery (spelling?) and the Arthur books. Oh what a nostalgic Friday… me likey.

12. Jessica says:

I didn’t watch a lot of tv when I was younger either. The only channel I was allowed to watch was PBS! Both my parents are teachers, so they were strict…

I’ll pretty much read any book I can get my hands on. I love George R.R. Martin, but I can’t say he’s my favorite author. I don’t really have a favorite because it changes depending with my mood, lol. I like the Twilight series a lot too, and another of my favorites is Joanne Fluke’s murder mystery series about a sleuthing baker!

I read all the babysitter’s club and goosebumps books too!! Wow, I had forgotten all about those. I also read a lot of VC Andrews stuff back in the day.

13. Ahhhh books are my favorite thing in the world. I read voraciously, heh heh, at least 2 or 3 books a week.

As a political scientist (and a phd student, sigh…)obviously I love my non fiction poli sci books, all things about anarchism, socialism, development, anti-capitalism, Naomi Klein is amazing (read the Shock Doctrine asap!), Chomsky, Bakunin, Steve Best, Finkelstein, Stiglitz, Hardt and Negri, etc. And Marx, not a fun read, but definitely a necessity.

As a righteous feminist I love all good women’s liberation literature and some of my favorite authors are Naomi Wolf, Audre Lorde, Angela Davis, and Mohanty. And Jessica Valenti’s work is impressive, too!

As a vegan AR activist I love LOVE Steve Best, his writing is absolutely amazing and so powerful.

I love science fiction SO much. Arthur C. Clarke’s Childhood’s End is one of my all time favorite books, as is Orson Scott Card’s Ender series (I named my horse Ender’s Game in honor of the awesomeness), and Tad William’s Otherland series is amazing, Ray Bradbury, Heinlein’s Stranger in a Strange Land is a classic for a reason, it is a touching, inspiring gorgeous book. Oh, and the Dune series, a must read for sci fi lovers.

Some great fiction books I’ve loved: Animal Farm, Madame Bovary, The Idiot, The Poisonwood Bible, East of Eden, 1984, Lord of the Flies, Days and Nights of Love and War, Mother Courage, Death of a Salesman, Our Town, A Short History of Nearly Everything, His Dark Materials, Hyperion, The Dark Tower Series, The God Delusion, god is Not Great, 9 Parts of Desire, Song of Solomon, The Lovely Bones, Lolita, Catch 22, A Clockwork Orange, Gone With the Wind, The Handmaid’s Tale, A High Wind in Jamaica, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Midnight’s Children, ….

Ugh! I know I’m forgetting about a billion books I should recommend, but I can’t think of another one at this moment. I could talk about books all day long, great question!

14. Melinda says:

Those books are such classics, all of them, grown up and children’s books. I love to read and wish I had more time. If I did I would probably never sleep.

15. Melissa says:

Great topic! Some of my faves are Pride and Prejudice, Ana Karenina, Life of Pi, Tale of Two Cities, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Grayson, The Five People You Meet in Heaven, and Three Cups of Tea.

Childhood: Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Giving Tree, Goosebumps, and of course The Babysitters Club.

Such a good post. I love seeing what others are reading!

16. Devan Newman says:

Oh my gosh!! i got so excited when I read your title! haha. my mom used to “make” me and my sister watch Reading Rainbow!! I loved Babar, Rockos World, Rugrats, Recess, Harry Potter, Aurther.. SOo many!

17. I just re-read Jane Eyre for the 3rd time. One of my all-time favorites, and I love anything by Jane Austen. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde also in my top 5. Growing up, I was obsessed with Little House on The Prairie series as well as The Baby-Sitters Club and Anne of Green Gables. My nose was forever in a book.

I’ve had The Poisonwood Bible on my bookshelf forever…unread. Need to get on that!

Have a good weekend Katie. All these banana melters are way behind the times. Why they are just now catching on to the brilliance, I have no idea! 😉

18. jcd says:

Great classics list there: Goosebumps, Babysitter Club, Goodnight Moon – all favourites when I was growing up too.

Some other good reads I remember from my childhood:
    Anne of Green Gables (I read almost everything by LM Montgomery)
    Lots of Robert Munsch (Oh, the hilarity of these books: I have to Pee!)
    Even more Richard Scarry (Postman Pig was my FAVOURITE)
    Clifford the Red Dog
    Curious George
    Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys (they were at my grandmother’s house so I would often read them there)
    The Hobbit (My dad read it to us before bed.)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe Series
    Sweet Valley (I don’t know if I read them all, but I sure read a lot of them)
    I read a bunch of Christopher Pike books in junior high
    Oh, and those little rabbit books… their name escapes me.

Did anyone else have Scholastic book orders at school? My parents always let us get a book or two. I was so excited to get a new book I could keep, since most of my other books came from the library.

Ah… I love reading…

19. I loved the Babysitters Club books! And I loved all things Judy Blume…remember Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret?

I can’t wait for the Where the Wild Things Are Movie. I need to re-read the book first. It comes out on my birthday!

And I have your banana brulee oats on my to-make-for-breakfast next week list. For real.

20. BTW, the Reading Rainbow theme song is now stuck in my head!

21. Leila says:

I love, love, love that you love Thomas Hardy!!! I’ve never found another person who ‘gets’ how great the writing and stories are!

I also love Austen. You should check out Elizabeth Gaskell. She’s writes loves stories, but in the depths of the industrial revolution, try North and South. Also, give Bleak House a chance. Best Dickens ever, so worth the pages.

keep on readn’

22. I think my books may be more on the geek side of life… but here goes…

I like the ‘Lord of the Rings’ trilogy (read them before the movies came out) and especially ‘The Hobbit’, I fell in love with Bilbo Baggins… by J. R. R. Tolkien.

‘The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy’ and ‘The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul’ by Douglas Adams… I have the hitchhiker’s collection and plan to read them all.

I loved reading Edgar Allen Poe growing up.

I’m a big fan of the Harry Potter books, I’ve read them all several times, I like to re-read them just before the next movie comes out. 😛

I also really like ‘The Clan of the Cave Bear’ series by Jean M. Auel… I really relate to the main character Ayla. I saw the movie with Daryl Hannah first, and then found the books… there are 5 in the series, I’ve read 4 of them.

On my silly side, I like calvin and hobbs… I have the whole collection. :)

23. Liz says:

I’m loving all this non-food posting! So good to see you showing us all different sides of you :)

I think my favourite childhood books were,
    Emily Culpepper
    Harry Potter
    Where the Wild Things Are (SO excited for the movie!)
    Brown Bread and Honey
    We’re Going on a Bear Hunt
    Ms Butterpat Goes Wild
    Noni the Christmas Deer

There were so many more but I don’t remember… and now, my fave authors are Robert Louis Stevenson, Alexandre Dumas, Jane Austen, Augusten Burroughs and Oscar Wilde.
    My favourite books, I think, are…
    The Great Gatsby
    The Picture of Dorian Gray
    Running With Scissors
    Treasure Island
    The Three Musketeers
    and of course, Harry Potter :)

And MAJOR kudos to you for coming up with the good ol’ Melted Banana Trick. Clearly it’s completely amazing, as are you!

Love, Liz

24. You grew up in Japan?? I LOVE Japan! We go there every chance we get (so far 3x!).

Love love love the melted banana- I can see a melted banana going into my winter smoothie-soups! :-)

Have a great Friday night!

25. Jules says:

Love this topic! We didn’t get cable into I was 8 or 9, and by then I had already started to prefer books to TV. I don’t know who my favorite author is, but I ADORE the Harry Potter books and they’ve been my favorites forever :) I also like books about hiking/mountains, like Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer and A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson.

26. Michelle says:

I am more of a ‘junk’ reader, as my AP English teacher called it xD Murder mystery series, Angels and Demons, Harry Potter (of course) and my one all-time favorite story that actually is not total junk: Inferno, by Dante Aligheri (spelling mistake possibly?). I also really enjoy Edgar Allen Poe. My best friend (also a Kaitie, just spelled differently) recently came into possesion of a ten volume Edgar Allen Poe series (published in 1904!!). Talk about entertaining! Once I start reading, I can NOT put it down.
    And to totally jump ship, I can’t get into the banana brulee thing :( The one and ONLY food I absolutely WILL NOT eat, is a banana. (OK, well not one and only, but one of the few) Tragic.

27. Erin says:

Oh Katie, I so agree!
    I love long epic books. Sequels are amazing. I get very attached to characters.
    I love Jane Austen, too. Being in law school makes me miss being an English major so much!
    I also love Harry Potter, Margaret Atwood, and The Canterbury Tales!
    And when I was growing up, I read everything in my Grandma’s bookcase left over from my aunt. I read the entire Trixie Belden series, which I guess was a knock off Nancy Drew, haha.

28. psychoj1 says:

Aww cute books! Goodnight Moon=deffff a favorite! I don’t have a favorite book, although I remember enjoying “A Face First.”

The melody carlson series was a favorite of mine too!

I think most of the reason why I don’t “free-read” a lot is because I constantly have books for school. Between summer reading and reading for book in school, there’s no time 😉 We’re actually reading the Iliad right now! Very challenging!
    <3 jess

29. WholeBodyLove says:

I used to have Goodnight Moon memorized! I was also an avid BSC and Goosebumps reader. I loved those series.

30. Sarah says:

First of all, I fully support both your love for Little Critter and Pasternak! :)

Second, look what I found!!!

31. broccolihut says:

Twinnie, this is just getting creepy. Check my FB page–I am a total Hardy fan too! I wrote a research paper on Jude the Obscure, The Mayor of Casterbridge, and Tess of the d’Urbervilles a few years ago. The similarities never end, my friend…
    I also like Carson McCullers as an author, and I went through a Charlotte Bronte phase too–I think I’ve read Jane Eyre 5 times now. My fave books include Gone with the Wind, The Thornbirds, and Love in the Time of Cholera.

32. Marianne says:

Good Night Moon was even a book I read as a kid, and I’m old!

I don’t read alot (any) fiction anymore, and don’t really have a favourite author for the non-fiction I do read. Is that odd?

33. Goodnight Moon was the best! i also loved Angelina Ballerina! Eat Pray Love and The Secret are my favorites right now. And that melted banana oats looks ahhh-mazing!

34. Abby says:

I love love love your blog.. I have been a fan forever but never comment. You have such great ideas and your food always looks soo yummy yummy. I couldn’t agree with you more with the babysitter’s club books (I was a HuGE “Super Specials fan” because they were thicker!) I’m a teacher now, so my kiddos get to enjoy them in our classroom library.
    Ps.. I am just starting my own vegan blog (after wanting to for soo long.. check it out when you get a chance 😉

35. Shelby says:

I have too many favorite books! I couldn’t ever choose!

36. Emily says:

I’ve read so many of the same books! I was a book addict as a child (still am but have less time to read :-( ). My favorite series was most definitely Nancy Drew. I thought I was going to be a world class detective, but I ended up going into nutrition instead, haha.

I’m definitely going to try melting the banana separately in my oats. Looks really good!

37. Maria says:

Those were some of my favorite books too. I probably read all of the baby sitter’s club books as well 😉 I think ella enchanted was my all time favorite book as a child (big time fairy tale girl, and romantic at heart). One of the best books I read recently was the Host by Stephanie Meyer. I enjoyed it much more than the Twilight series, as I mentioned in your other post!

38. Meredith says:

The author of Goodnight Moon graduated from my college! Yay Hollins!

39. Kiersten says:

I love to read, I swear I’m addicted to books. (Me + a bookstore = dangerous)

Some of my favorites are:
    the Twilight books
    the Harry Potter books
    The Five People You Meet in Heaven
    Alice in Wonderland
    The Kite Runner
    The Notebook

I read a lot when I was a kid too. I don’t think I had a favorite though.

40. Alison says:

I was a huge Babysitter’s Club fan as a kid – it’s what got me reading. I also liked Sweet Valley Twins a lot.

41. Alyson says:

The babysitter’s club, Nancy Drew, Little House on the Prairie Series, Tess of the D’ubrevilles, Anne of Green Gables series

42. lz says:

My favorite book is “The Book Thief” by Marcus Zusak!

43. Danielle says:

My favorite book as a kid was “The Hungry Caterpillar” <– foodie in the making??

44. molly b says:

As a first grade teacher, I love children’s books! Goodnight Moon and Where the Wild Things Are are obvious favorites! Another book I love is called Dougal the Garbage Dump Bear. My students and I looooove it!

45. Emily GG says:

My favorite food/health book is In Defense of Food.

46. Evan Thomas says:

My favorite book would have to be–after everything–everybody poops. Isn’t that just the most grounding thing? It’s definitely the first thing I’m teaching my kids to read

47. One of my favorite books is Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner. It’s so funny! I also looooove all of the Twilight books :)

48. Tiffany says:

my favorite book is currently the omnivore’s dilemma – a real eye-opener for me

49. Erika says:

The Lorax.. hands down :)

50. Jenna says:

my favorite book right now is The Time Travelers Wife.. some people thought it was slow but I loved it! I couldnt put it down :)

51. My all time favorite book is still The Grapes of Wrath! Call me crazy, I know!

52. Liz says:

I don’t read as much as I would like to, but when I was young I loved reading beginner’s chapter books. My favorite was the Sweet Valley series. I loved that I shared a name with one of the twins!

53. Katie says:

Super Fudge and Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing were classic favorites!

54. radioactivegan says:

The Flowers of Algernon has to be one of my favorite books of all time. The Confederacy of Dunces is also fantastic … and Apathy and Other Small Victories … and The Princess Bride … and so many others!

55. Anna says:

My favorite books…so many! I love Eat Pray Love, My Life in France, and Under the Tuscan Sun…that whole genre about leaving your whole life behind in favor for a new one. Very inspiring. I also loved Anna Karenina, Hamlet, All the King’s Men, and A Thousand Splendid Suns!

56. Vanilla says:

My favorite book is ”The Lost Symbol” from Fan Brown.
    I didn’t understand the ending but it was veeeeeery good and addicting!

57. kyko says:

I have to be a nerd and say…Harry Potter! Along with anything by Jane Austen, of course, but I’m so down with the HP.
    It brings joy to my soul!

58. elaine says:

hey katie! thanks for holding this AMAZING giveaway! I also love and appreciate the honesty of your reviews :) my favorite book is Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. It tells a love story that is completely without pretense.

59. Karen says:

Favorite books include: Confederacy of Dunces by John Kenneday Toole and Winter Solstice by Rosamunde Pilcher.

60. Lisa says:

I have a tie for favorite books: To Kill a Mockingbird and Atlas Shrugged

61. ashley says:

My favorite book is The Hobbit :-)

62. Christina says:

I love Harry Potter books. When I was younger I was in love with the Anne of Green Gables books :)

63. Yasmin says:

My faves were always the tried and true Baby-sitter’s Club series!

64. Emily says:

Favorite book?!?! I don’t think I can limit myself to one, as it depends on my mood.

But my top 5 are: Galapagos (Kurt Vonnegut), Paradise Lost (Milton), 1984 (Orwell), Flatland (Abbott), End of the Affair (Graham Greene)

65. scott gramke says:

favorite book…. I guess it has to be It’s not about the bike by Lance Armstrong :]

66. Kelly Michelle says:

my favorite book is Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs. When I was little I always got it from the library every time but my mom wouldn’t buy it for me because she secretly hated it and didn’t want to read it to me! I now own it but haven’t seen the movie for it.

67. runnergirl says:

Favorite book? Hmm…Mama Day!

68. edayem says:

Katie~ I’m a prolific reader. I have way too many favorite books because they change with my mood and current interests! If I HAVE to narrow it down, I like Messiah by Andrei Codrescu, Oracle Glass by Judith Merkle Riley, Anyone Out There by Marian Keyes, and Gone With the Wind. That’s fiction…I’ll stop before I really get rolling and bore you to tears!

69. jvegegirl says:

Stellaluna :)

70. The books I return to over and over are the Anne of Green Gables series. So comforting!

71. The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

72. Nancy says:

One of my favorite books to read with my kids was “Cloudy with a chance of meatballs” – love it!

73. Karissa says:

Hey! I love the book The Kite Runner :)))

74. I love so many of the books I read! Some all-time favorites:

Harry Potter!
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    Tuesdays With Morrie
    Maniac Magee
    The Giver

And I always wanted to go on adventures like The Boxcar Children when I was little :)

75. Keegan says:

The Lord of The Rings for my imagination and A Walk in the Woods for my tree-hugging side :)

76. Sarah says:

Ramona and the Anastasia books to name a few – I was a big reader. :)

77. Jennifer says:

My favorite book was by far Where the Wild Things Are! I love that the story said so much through the pictures without actually using words

78. JoanaV. says:

Favorite book as of now: “Flesh and Blood” by Michael Cunningham (which despite the sort of “horror” suggestive title is simply a very good book about a family through its generations and everything that accompanies different ways of being in the world within the same family.).

When I was younger: “Little Women” by Louisa May Alcott.

I guess I’ve always been a fan of novels that go deep into relationships within a family, and how beautiful those ties are (or can be).

Thank you Katie!

79. embellishboston says:

Harry Potter is my favorite!!!

80. grace says:

i love contemporary poli sci books and nutrition/health books over novels, but my favorite fiction series is definitely harry potter! :)

81. Kristie says:

My all-time favorite book would probably be A Wrinkle in Time . That was probably the first book I read that really opened my mind and completely took me out of the world I was in :)

82. Catherine says:

I’m a total book worm so choosing just one is going to be tough… some of my fav’s are The Alchemist, The Count of Monte Cristo, Corelli’s Mandolin, Anna Karenina, Flowers For Algernon… the list goes on!

If I MUST choose one though I’d have to choose The Power Of One. It’s just such a moving story and the main character Peekay is such an intriguing character. I actually named my siamese cat after him because in the book Peekay becomes a boxer and my kitty is all white with dark brown on his hands and feet and looks like he has tony boxing gloves on! :)

83. Alisha says:

My favorite book is The Great Gatsby!
    so depressing.. yet inspiring!

84. Sarah says:

My favourite book of all time is Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins. It’s beautifully written, has an engaging story infused with interesting philosophical notes. Definitely check it out if you are looking for an entertaining and thought-provoking read.

85. Grace says:

I loved Little House on the Prairie and Anne of Greene Gables when I was younger, now I love reading historical fiction…right now Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier although I definitely don’t get to read for pleasure very much during school :( Lots of good suggestions here…I’ve got to get reading!!!

86. Arthur says:

I’ll say Young Adult Novel, just as a cop-out.

87. caronae says:

Favorite childhood book was The Tiger in the Teapot! I can’t find it anywhere now though, sad!

88. Sarah says:

I love love love to read. One of my favorite books though is the Post Secrets books. If you dont know about postsecret check it out! Its kind of like operation beautiful.

89. Katie says:

I have two favorite books: Lonesome Dove and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn…I’m a sucker for traveling adventure stories. :-)

90. vixedvegans says:

My favorite books were and still are Science Fiction like Margaret Atwood. I love going outside myself to a completely different world.

91. Stefanie says:

One of my favorite authors is Jason Pinter. He writes thriller/mystery novels that are really good. It is hard to pick a favorite because there are so many good novels.

92. Katie says:

My favorite book is Crime and Punishment. It isn’t a fast or easy read, but everytime I read it, I get more out of it!

93. Omg one book that’s a favorite. That is too impossible :) I’ll go with Illusions: Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by R. Bach.
    It’s not my “fave” book of all time, I cannot bestow that to any one book…but it came to mind and it’s 5 Stars, for sure.

94. Samantha says:

Good Night Moon is a classic! My fav now though is The China Study, literally life changing!

95. The Witch of Blackbird Pond! I still get happy reading it! :)

96. Monica says:

Harry Potter is a great one!

97. Megan says:

My favorite book(s) are the Pretty Little Liars series.

98. Heather says:

“What to Eat” by Marion Nestle. She is amazing and this book will change your life.

99. Alex says:

Favorite book: my mom’s! Johnny Voodo! (Im biased but its still SOO good!)

100. Libby says:

My favorite books (can’t choose just one) are “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho, “The History of Love” by Nicole Krauss, and “Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell” by Susanna Clarke!…along with about fifty others :)

101. j says:

The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoevsky (sp?)! I adore Russian literature!

102. Marie says:

My favorite book for a while has been “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee (even though I do love Harry Potter!) I also like reading Eudora Welty’s short stories. I love the writing style!

103. Krissy says:

I love books and seem to devour them! Lately I’ve been on a Jodi Picoult fix and I think my favorites right now are Keeping Faith and My Sister’s Keeper.

104. I love Barbara Kingsolver! I first read her book on local food (Animal Vegetable Miracle), and then I read The Poisonwood Bible.

For mystery/thriller and science fiction, I like Agatha Christie, and Orson Scott Card and Ray Bradbury, respectively.

I like Anu Garg’s books about words (A Word a Day, etc.)

Finally, Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell is something everyone should read!

105. esther says:

my favorite book is eric carle’s the very hungry caterpillar!

106. Lisa says:

My favorite childhood book was The Wind Singer by William Nicholson, but I haven’t read any books for pleasure in a long time =( I should fix that!

107. monica says:

when i was younger i loved the westing game:) now i could never pick just one….that’s like your favorite child! (or favorite fudge baby!) I am obsessed with my kindle!! awesome giveaway:)

108. Amanda says:

I’d have to say my favorite book currently (because they change every few years) is “The Other Boleyn Girl” – it was just so riveting!

109. Jess says:

Favorite book? Hmm. I love Harry Potter 😀

110. My favorite childhood book was probably Harold and the Purple Crayon, but I loved Berenstain Bears because my grandma collected those for me. Now I love to read anything and everything. From classics to, yes, Harry Potter! :)

111. Tess of the d’Urbervilles! It’s kind of depressing but the writing and imagery is beautiful!

112. My fav book is either Silas Marner of Wuthering Heights…gotta love a great gothic novel!

113. runRedrun says:

My friends and I were just talking about our favorite childrens’ books, and mine is The Phantom Tollbooth.

114. Heather Marie says:

My favorite books are the Phantom Tollbooth and The Neverending Story.

115. bookworm bri says:

this is sooooooo hard, read lots of books and so many different kinds. I would have to say that my all time favorite was Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I know, weird as it was a mandatory read in Junior High but it made a huge impact in how i perceive the world and carry myself. It was kind of scary to realize the similarities in today’s world.

116. Hi Katie! I’m entering the Thrive book give away.

My favorite book is probably, Fearless by Max Lucado.

Thank you!!! Have a great week!

117. *Andrea* says:

my favorite book is probably On the Road! a classic in a time period i wish i lived through!

118. Gaby says:

Oh gosh there are so many! I love reading! You should really check my facebook list for an only decently completed list but let’s see…I tend to go through periods of reading a bunch of things by the same author. Some of my favorites are Faulker, Nabokov, and Barbara Kingsolver. Have you ever heard of “The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime”? That was also soo good! And I love Jonathan Saffran Foer, I know they made a movie out of “Everything is Illuminated” which I haven’t seen but the book was amazing, though I think I liked “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” a bit more. It’s hard to say because they’re both so good. And his new non-fiction “Eating Animals” is a MUST read for even the most well read vegan, and I also think it needs to be required reading for all omnivores. I think the world would go vegan afterwards :)

119. Miho says:

My favorite book was Happy Birthday Moon. This bear tried to give a tophat to the moon for its birthday, and it was a little adventure to give the moon the present. :)

120. Mara says:

I have a favorite trilogy, not just one book, and it’s “His Dark Materials” by Philip Pullman. They butchered the movie (The Golden Compass) so please anyone out there judging the books by the movie before reading it/them — DON’T!! They are not to be compared. =]

121. Natalie says:

Some of my favorite books are Candy, A Little Princess, The Little Prince, The Secret Garden, and The Bell Jar.

122. Stephanie says:

My favourite book is Jonathan Safran Foer’s “Everything is Illuminated”… so I was really excited about his new one, “Eating Animals.” Have you read it? It was definitely worth a read but I wouldn’t *re-read* it like I do his fiction.

By the way, I like when you link back to things. Sometimes I’ve missed posts or I don’t remember them. So its fun to go back and see something else!

123. Lauren says:

Hi Katie,
    I am not a big reader really… and when I do read it is mostly nonfiction. I recently read Animal Vegetable Miracle, and that was eye opening for me…

Another “ah-ha” moment for me was reading The World is Flat.

I also read the The Glass Castle recently. That was enjoyable.

Take care!

124. I love to read! There are too many books for me to pick just one. Lately I’ve been enjoying the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. They are silly and fun. :)

125. EE says:

My all-time favorite is Roots by Alex Haley. Newer favorite: anything by Wally Lamb.

126. rachael says:

My favorite fiction book is Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver and my favorite non-fiction book is The Blue Zones.

127. jcd says:

I don’t know if I can pick a favourite book… I like too many of them! It’s a toss up between Anne of Green Gables and Harry Potter. Or Dewey, a true story about a cat rescued by a small town library. Ahhh… too many books…

128. AB says:

I have to admit, I am a die-hard mystery reader. I have read all 56 Sherlock Holmes short stories and all 4 of the Sherlock Holmes novels – at least twice! *Blush* Does that make me a nerd? Oh, well!

129. Heather says:

My favorite books are My Sister’s Keeper & Cider House Rules!

130. Christel says:

I LOVE the title of your post. I NEVER watched TV growing up. I used to love going to the library & coming home with a bag full of books. So many favorites. Definitely Pride & Prejudice (anything by J. Austen.) The Alchemist (anything by P. Coehlo) , Anna Karenina, Corelli’s Mandolin, Anna

Childhood book: The Giving Tree, Babysitters Club, All of Judy Bluhm’s books, Where the Sidewalk Ends, The Secret Garden.

131. Teresa says:

There’s no way to ever choose a favorite book, because there are just too many! But one of my favorite books is “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” by Jonathon Safron Foer. But seriously I love so many other books too!

132. Michal says:

My favorite book has to be the harry potter series – especially the seventh book! :)

133. Caitlin says:

Hmm. Tough question. Time Traveler’s Wife and A Thousand Splendid Suns are both up there…

Or my favorites from childhood: any Babysitter’s Club or Sweet Valley Twins book :-)

134. My favorite childhood book? Danny and the Dinosaur! 😀

135. Gina G says:

i love too many to pick just one! my latest read was The Last Song (i know its a cheesy and unreal story, but i enjoy those kinds sometimes!) , and i thought it was good!

136. Jackie says:

My favorite Childhood books were the Amelia Bedelia books, I still love those today.

137. Heather says:

I love any book by author Douglas Coupland. I’ve read them all.

138. Judy says:

My favorite book? Are you kidding? So many!

But I did just pick up the latest Diana Galbadon at the library, and I’ve read all of her books multiple times. Time travel has always resonated with me for some reason.

And of course I loved the Time Traveler’s Wife long before they made it into a movie.

139. Jenn says:

The Blue Ribbon Day by Katie Couric….my daughter received it as a gift a long time ago, and I LOVE IT!!

140. Jamie says:

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

141. Marisa says:

anything Nicholas Sparks writes is a favorite of mine! The last book of his I read was Dear John-sooooo good! don’t think the movie did it justice though :(

142. Matilda still ranks as my best book ever experience

143. Rick says:

“Sugar Blues” by William Duffy is my favorite book ever because it started me on my course to wellness! :)

144. Ashlei says:

There are too many incredible books out there to be able to pick just one. I do love the Harry Potter series though – they are books that make me laugh, cry, and I can pick them up and read them anytime and enjoy them. Even though they are really long I can read them for hours and it doesn’t take long for me to finish them.

145. Vaala says:

I’m a big Tad Williams fan (fantasy author). I remember reading his Otherland series during uni years and I’d have to read only during daylight and if someone else was home otherwise I’d be too freaked out! My childhood favourites were definitely Where the Wild Things Are and Winnie the Pooh. Dad had this knack of reading to us kids that could make even good old Pooh truly terrifiying and have us screaming and ducking under the covers!

146. Natalie So says:

my favorite book is Lit by Mary Karr. it’s such a beautiful witty memoir.

147. I love the book Breakfast at Tiffany’s. I first read it as a teenager when the drama and angst fit perfectly with everyday life. I still love it though, there’s something beautiful to me about the whole story.

148. Heather says:

I’m was totally hooked in the Twilight books!

149. Favorite book – Little House on the Prairie. Yep. STILL is. I think I may go read it right now…

150. Bethany says:

My favorite book is The Zanzibar Chest by Aidan Hartley. I think I’ve read it at least 5 times!

151. MaryZ says:

Nancy Drew books were and still are my favorite books.

152. Kristen says:

Favorite book? I can’t pick just one! I mostly love classics: To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride and Prejudice, Atonement, and Frankenstein (which actually was originally a dreaded required reading assignment in a college English class — but I quickly fell in love with the story). I am also a sucker for the Twilight series, even though I actually think the writing is awful. As a kid, I LOVED Corduroy and the Babysitters Club and Ramona books (much like most other girls).

153. Esther says:

Franny and Zooey…or anything by Salinger

154. Beth says:

Call me a nerd, but my favorite book is Dune by Frank Herbert.

155. Blair says:

The Lorax is still one of my favorite books!

156. eef says:

I love so many books… Anne Rice is one of my favorite authors, I’m big into vampires… More adult vampires. You know.

I’m also in love with Arthurian legend. King Arthur and all that. “I am Mordred” by Nancy Springer may be my favorite book ever. Even if you’re not so much into knights and questing, it’s an amazing book!
    Also a great Arthurian book but one that focuses more on women is the “Mists of Avalon” which is spectacular. I can’t remember who wrote it, but I think Marion Zimmer Bradley. Sounds right.

157. Kim says:

As an avid reader, I have trouble saying just what my favourite book is. If I have to pick just one I would say The Lord of the Rings but other books have had powerful influences on me at various times in my life. When I was young it was Charlotte’s Web. I’ll leave my list at those 2. They’ve meant the most!

158. Tiffany says:

Hard to pick a favorite book, but I most recently enjoyed reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith, Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri, and City of Thieves by David Benioff.

159. 21mph says:

My favorite book is actually a play, Streetcar Named Desire, by Tennessee Williams. It’s an easy read, but so good. I could read it again and again! Plus the movie version, with Marlon Brando, aint hard on the eyes either 😉

160. courtney says:

My favorite childhood book was Scuppers the Sailor Dog, and my favorite book now is I Know This Much is True.

161. CaSaundra says:

Fav series of books would have to be Even Now and Ever After by Karen Kingsbury. Great Christian romance novel!! I’ve read it numerous times 😛 Enter me in the giveaway pleeease!

162. Kelsey says:

i’ve always been a harry potter enthusiast!!