Little Miss Health Nag

Guess who let me make him dinner again:

dadmeal3

On the menu:

A mixed-green salad, a vegan burger (on a whole-wheat bun, with ketchup, relish, and fat-free Nayo), a V8, and Crispy Sweet Potato Fries.

dadmeal1

dadmeal2

Clean Plate Club!

When I first became a vegetarian, my mom made me extensively research nutrition to ensure I’d be a healthy vegetarian (i.e. not a “junk food” vegetarian). Maybe she regrets making me do that, as you can’t get me to stop nagging about nutrition! I try to keep quiet; nobody likes a nag. But sometimes…

• “If you put tomato on your sandwich, you can get in some Vitamin C.”
  • “Buy the whole-wheat bread; it has more fiber.”
  • “Have you had any servings of leafy greens today?”
  • “I don’t see any veggies on your plate.”

Question of the Day:

Do you offer nutrition advice to others? I try to keep quiet most of the time (especially with my friends). And sometimes the parents surprise me: For example, Dad asked for the V8 all on his own. Ah, I’m so proud!

1. Allison says:

Holy Cow! I have never seen a post by you without a ton of comments let alone none! Good timing. When I first gave up fast food about 3 years ago and it sent me onto the path to veganism I learned so much about nutrition and where food comes from. I wanted to share that knowledge with my family. They soon made it clear that they understood most of what I was saying and that they just didn’t care. I have been called preachy for trying to help my family live a more healthy life so I have mostly given up trying. I do not live with my family and they eat fast food maybe 50% or more of their meals. The rest consist of a whole lot of quick and easy boxed foods with very few vegetables and very high on the meat. It is so hard to see them eat and live like that.

On the other hand, my boyfriend that I live with does not like very many vegetables so it is a struggle for me to make healthy food for him when he doesn’t get enough variety. But at least he doesn’t mind my nagging too much.

Thanks for sharing and letting me share.

2. I occasionally nag my boyfriend about eating his greens. I consider it an investment in his health, not nagging. 😉

3. Jenny says:

I try to be nag-free for the most part but I can not lie, I find myself telling Ginge “oh that has lots of sugar” or “brother, you should have whole wheat bread instead of white” but I’m learning to keep my mouf shutski. Happy monday katie-bear! xo

4. *Andrea* says:

i have to catch myself from nagging sometimes too. like when my mom buys my sister white bread or frozen chemically ravioli and corndogs, ick! anyways, no one likes a nag i agree but it’s outta love 😉 you look so much like your (handsome) dad, by the way!

5. Jessica says:

I offer advice when I think it is common-sense and beneficial to someones well-being, but try not to be pushy. :)

6. I am the exact same way with my family! The last time I was at their house, I took away my Dad’s Splenda and bought him NuNaturals Stevia. I make sure they buy better breads and always stock their house with veggies. My parents are pretty healthy (thanks to my great mom!) but I try to make sure they are extra healthy. I don’t really nag; I just replace what they have with the healthy stuff without asking permission(hehe). They notice, of course, but don’t really mind. It is all out of love.

7. Those butternut fries look so good! Good for dad for cleaning his plate!!! I nag people too. It’s what I do best. :-)

8. That is one lucky (and handsome) dinner date!

Oddly enough, considering what I do online, I never offer up nutrition comments or advice unless specifically asked. Even with my husband, I let him dictate what he wants and I just support and help. Eventually peopl find their own way :)

9. Ooohh the fries..girl, I’m not as big on savory and/or starchy veggies, you know I much prefer my vegan chocolate cookies and choco creations :) but those look great!!!! Thanks for your shout out today, muah!! And I think I told you this before, but I make (and blogged about it 2 weeks ago) a countertop coconut milk kefir that is so simple stupid it’s not even funny. 3 ingredients on your countertop for 24 hrs in a bowl. So easy and cheaper than storebought coconut milk kefir. And your kind comment about the Awards is gonna get me thru 5 miles that I’m about to go do….

xoxox you are the best!!!!!
    averie

10. i can’t help but nag my parents too. i find it so funny that growing up, they would practically force vegetables down my throat, always telling me to just “eat it, it’s good for you!” and now i’m the one who has to nag them about eating their veggies!

11. Jessica says:

I *might* nag my husband about food/nutrition just a little, but it’s for his own good! Wow, I totally sound like my mom, lol…

I <3 butternut!! I've been eating every kind of squash that I can get my hands on. Have you ever tried sweet dumpling squash? My new fav!!

12. rhodeygirltests says:

I actually never have had to nag my family on anything food related!!! A brunch at my family’s house will find a plethora of veggie trays (romaine lettuce, carrots, peppers, cucumbers, radishes etc) and big bowls of fruit (grapes, strawberries, pineapple, mango, etc) no matter what the menu is!

I have, however, tried to get my husband to eat whole grain products. He loves brown rice, but as far as pita and other breads he really prefers white. I say in time he will change!

13. rhodeygirltests says:

p.s. why is the post link “beware the mutant chicken ducks” ???

14. Mihl says:

Can I borrow you dad? :)

15. I don’t think I nag so much as merely take note (out loud) of the nutritional value of, say, a new product I just found. Check this out, not only does it have 100% vitamin C, it also has iron and vitamin A… or guess what, I didn’t use any oil to make that cake, I guess that makes it fat-free and I used whole wheat pastry flour so it’s better for us… It’s just me and the ‘taste-tester’ and he’s a vegan too, so I don’t have to nag… I’m simply giving him some information he might not have known. :)

As for our parental units and siblings… they live in other states, so when they come to visit, I just cook like I normally would and don’t mention anything unless they ask, or we go out to eat, we order our thing, they order theirs… we don’t say anything unless asked… They have finally gotten to the point where we don’t have to defend our choices as much.

Isn’t it funny, now that you know what you know about vegetarian/vegan life, that *we* have to defend our choices when the majority of the time we are actually eating far more nutritious than they are?

Hey, I just bought a butternut squash, I think I’ll try those fries! 😉

Have a great day!

16. Maria says:

Oooh kefir + chocolate powder is an awesome idea! Must try soon 😀

I am a health nagger too, I must admit. But, only to my family–I usually don’t nag my friends! I try to get them to eat whole grains, healthy fats, veggies, etc.

Awww, your dad is so adorable! Looks very happy indeed!

17. Jessica says:

does the kefir taste grassy with the AG addition??
    -muffy

18. Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) says:

Hey Katie.. I love cooking for my fam too (not vegan in any way shape or form). They get an idea of just how tasty some creations can be!!

As for your question, I do not like to offer nutrional advice to people. I WOULD LOVE LOVE LOVE TO because I truly feel I have an idea of what our body needs to be strong and healthy. BUT, I never do! I am quite thin myself and I always think people will feel I am imposing and trying to get them to lose weight and whatnot. Some people from my work are in a “weight loss challenge” program and are pretty much eating lettuce and celery all day long. I would lOVE to get them some pointers on what healthy fats/carbs they should consume AND tell them they need to eat way more often than they actually are, but I feel super awkward about it. Honestly, if someone approached me and asked for some ideas I would certainly extend the helping hand, but I’m not going to jump in and act like a “know it all”.

Have a great Monday!!! :)

19. Haha I feel ya girl.. I try not to give nutrition advice unless it’s solicited… or directed at mi padre :) haha that’s always allowed. your daddy dinnah date is presh!

Sarah

20. Kiersten says:

Yeah, I totally nag my family and boyfriend about nutrition. I only do it because I love them though and want them to be healthy!