Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Beware the Mutant Chicken Ducks!

The second installment of “Strange things I see when I Run”

If you missed installment #1, click here.

(You’ll be rewarded with… underwear?)

While running the other day, I passed by a park.  Enjoying the park were happy children, chatty mothers, and busy squirrels– your standard park-goers.

But this park was also home to some not-so-standard inhabitants.  (A few days after my run, I walked back to the park with a camera in order to get the photos below.)

chicken ducks

chicken duck

Are they chickens? Are they ducks? I guess I could call them Chucks… or Dickens… or something else that isn’t exactly PG-rated. Whatever they’re called, they sure are odd-looking. Talk about ugly ducklings! Just one more thing to add to the list of funny things I see when I run.

What are some of the funniest things you’ve ever seen, either while out running or just in your day-to-day life?

1. *Andrea* says:

haha those are so cute!!! i love funky combinations of animals. the weirdest/ cutest things i have seen while running is ALPACAS and LLAMAS! my neighbor has them :):)

2. WTF ARE THOSE THINGS?! Seriously?! They’re like the mutant 3-eyed fish on the simpsons!

3. funny things i see when i run: drunk people stumbling home from the bars at 6:30 am! :) always makes for great entertainment! i can’t get over how delicious all the melted banana trick photos turn out! have a great dayyy

4. Those creatures are the cutest! I want one!

5. elizabeth says:

those are so ugly!!! i would have literally laughed out loud. I think sometimes i looks like a fool on my run, smiling about some little thought that pops into my head-but i guess that’s better than looking like I’m about to die, right??

6. jcd says:

That’s a Muscovy Duck! Not to be confused with the Mighty Ducks.

(I just researched the name 5 minutes ago, I’m not that good with birds.) I still like your name though: Chuck Dickens!

I don’t see strange things on my runs, unless construction workers and sewer pipes count. (They are expanding our neighbourhood.) Usually it’s just wildlife (jackrabbits, ducks, birds, beavers, muskrats, herons, foxes, etc.) and the odd person walking their dog. The jackrabbits are starting to look funny now – their fur is starting to turn white and the snow hasn’t come yet.

7. Hey Sweetie, thanks for the oat creation shout out and pic! I’m so happy you chose it, you’re the best. And, your brulee is a 2nd best :) Have a lovely Tuesday honey and hope life’s treatin’ ya right!

8. Krista says:

Those birds are CUTE!!!

9. Holly says:

the past couple times i have gone running, i have run into three flocks of wild turkeys! no lie!

10. Jessica says:

I’ve seen similar birds before, in Florida! I stayed at a resort with a pond and they were all over the place…we took pictures too!!

I often see people sunbathing when I’m out running and this summer I saw one particularly flabby gentlemen in a speedo. LoL, it was a public place too!

11. Shelby says:

That is SO WEIRD! I think I would freak out, seriously.

Mmm, loooooove banana brulee oats. I can’t wait for the next banana recipe though!

12. Melinda says:

That is weird. That is a genetic abnormallity and should be studied by scientists. I didn’t think they could breed across species. The strangest thing I have ever seen (and this does change daily living here) was the cobble stone street that dumps into a highway (see my blog from yesterday) and the “strip” club attached to a house in the middle of farm land that had 20 ft barbed wire around it.

13. Lori Z says:

Ha ha, those ducks look so familiar. I run by what I call “the duck pond” that has tons of ducks. All different kinds. Some of them are hideous! There is a sign with pictures of them and the names of them. My favorite ones I like to call “pom pom head” as they have what looks like a white “pom pom” on the top of their head. Anyways, I would much rather see the ducks, deer or bunnies than the snake that was on the path not too long ago!

14. Whoa! That is some crazy ass shiz. Are they seriously chicken-duck mutations?! I’ve never seen anything like that. Weird, weird, weird.

BTW, banana brulee oats is still on my list! I ended finding some speculoos cookies and making the famed speculoos spread for breakfast this week. But as soon as I consume it all, banana brulee oats are next!

15. Alison says:

Huh…weird looking duck/chicken. That’s one of my fav things about running outside – it’s always an event just to look around.

16. Naomi says:

oh wow. those oats look amazing! i wanted to take a big bite out of my computer!!

the ducks are so funny looking!! quite interesting animals ducks are huh?

17. Chuckie-dickens- seems a bit of cross breeding is going on over there :-O Blush blush!

18. Vaala says:

Hmmm, I think one of the funniest things I’ve seen while running was at a recent orienteering race where I saw one of my friends out on his course manage to face-plant himself (he was fine otherwise I guess it wouldn’t have been so funny!).

19. Katharina says:

OMG! Those.. things lol are all over my parent’s neighborhood in Florida. They actually don’t have that growth thing when they’re young.

20. Erika says:

I have totally seen “ducks” like that and I have no clue what they are!? I need to try that banana recipe, it looks so good.

21. Maria says:

Whoa, are those really not photoshopped pictures of ducks and chickens??? Crazy, I didn’t know chucks/dickens existed!

Oooh whose the guy…oh yeah and the special banana recipe 😀

22. randomlymikey says:

whoa…..those lil guys are crazy!!! they are totally chuck dickens mutants.

23. Christina says:

Omg, those birds are crazy! My boyfriend and I are now in an argument. I think they’re half chicken half duck and he thinks its just some rare breed of duck. I wish we could find out whose right!

24. Devan Newman says:

tee hee SO cute 😀
    i love the ugly ducklings! I was chased by a giant goose when i was little.. scared the quack out of me!! Geece freak me out.. though, they are pretty.
    That banana brulee looks incredible! :)
    i look forward to ALL your creations!!

25. WholeBodyLove says:

I don’t know that I will ever be sick of banana brulee or photos of it. Yum. that’s all. Just yum.

26. broccolihut says:

Used your banana brulee technique this morning, and it produced a PERFECT texture. You have changed my breakfast world forever:)

27. ~Jessica~ says:

The most exciting thing I’ve ever seen running was a deer, which leapt out in front of me…I nearly crashed sidelong into the poor thing! Also multiple rabbits and squirrels often come out to play…once I saw a weasel as well. The local cats also love to watch me run: I’m a never-ending source of amusement for them.

I don’t know exactly what they are but the ‘chucks’ are simply adorable.

I have yet to try the melted banana trick as I actually have a total phobia of cooked banana (ack, it’s the texture!)…however, I am intrigued…maybe one day I’ll summon up the courage to give it a try 😉

28. Vegetation says:

Aww I think they’re cute in a kind of ugly way!!!

Mmmm I must try some of this melted banana! I keep meaning to!

29. Never get sick of Banana Brulee photos. Never ever. In fact, I think I’m more in awe of Averie’s dish than I am of those dickens or chucks or whatever they are. 😉

30. Jessica says:

I think those chickens are kinda creepy! They look like the turkey I write about on my blog. lol!

31. Marianne says:

Here’s your duck:

We actually have some in the parks around here. I remember thinking they were so funny looking, because they didn’t look like all the Canada geese and mallards around here.

32. Michele says:

Yup, Muscovy ducks. I live in Florida and they are everywhere. I don’t think they’re funny looking, but then again, since I grew up here I’ve seen them my whole life. I used to have a bunch of them in my yard when I lived on the water. The babies are soooooooo cute! I call the big ones turkeys! :)