Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Greens is the word, have you heard?

Greens got meanin’

When I learned—from the Epic Roots Company—about mâche greens (pronounced “mosh”), this new super food quickly jumped onto my list of new foods to try.

Mâche greens are pretty impressive.

For one thing, they contain Omega 3s. Omega 3s in lettuce??? Yes, one three-ounce serving of mâche greens contains 12% of the RDA for Omega 3 fatty acids.  These greens are also high in Vitamins A and C, Folic Acid, Iron, Potassium, and Zinc. Taste-wise, mâche greens have a sweet, almost-nutty flavor, and they are much less bitter than, say, kale. The leaves are so soft and fluffy that one can easily see how they got the nickname “lamb’s lettuce.” Spinach had better watch its back!

And just as stellar as the greens is the Epic Roots company, itself. Not only did they send me coupons, they also gave me a cookbook, Great Greens, filled with delicious-sounding recipes and an in-depth guide/glossary to every green imaginable, from A to Z Arugula to Watercress.

epic roots cookbook

mache greens

1. I will have to try to find Mache in the store — I’ll keep an eye out for it. I am a huge fan of trying new greens!

2. Love your idea for the hug-a-carb photo! Now, the problem is deciding which carb to take a photo with! I have so many favorites….

3. Fave green? Hmmm, spinach or broccoli! Is that boring? Lo siento!

Have a great day, Miss Katie :)

4. Jessica says:

I like trying new greens, too. And the smoked tofu looks yummy…at first I thought it was smoked cheese…lol.

5. Wow, I’ve never heard of these but they sound great! Hee hee, I love Grease too! One of my favorite childhood movies that I still can’t get enough of!

Hmm…my favorite green would have to be spinach. We rarely get it here so when we do it is a special occasion. Oh! I love kale too but we NEVER get it here so I almost can’t remember what it tastes like.

Ah, I love ALL greens!

6. Greens….love veggies, it’s even in my URL name :)

Thanks for the shoutout on the bloggie and I just read your comment on HEABs blog. You were the 1st comment, I was the 2nd. You beat me by 2 mins you stinker! Just kidding sweetie, I love ya :)

7. Jessica says:

I really like mustard greens when they’re thrown into a nice chunky soup! I don’t know if I can pick an absolute fav though!

8. rhodeygirltests says:

I really love arugula and butter lettuce, alone or together in a salad! In fact our fridge is always stocked with plenty of arugula and other lettuces. YUM.

9. brandi says:

i love your challenges – so much fun :)

10. I love mache, but my all-time favorite salad green is baby arugula. For green smoothies though, nothing beats spinach!

11. I love kale! Raw, cooked, made into chips – it’s all delicious. :) I had sweet potato greens for the first time a few weeks ago and they were great too.

1. Jenn says:

sweet potato greens? sounds delicious! in which wonderland did you happen to find these?? :)

12. I pretty much like all greens! I can’t seem to get enough of them. Though, favorite is either kale or swiss chard. It is a toss up though love them all. :)

13. Crystal says:

I love all greens! I’m not sure if broccoli really can count since it’s not technically leafy and all- but it has been a stand- by favorite of my since I can remember. I think I was the only kid going to school with Broccoli Pies (Homemade version of a calzone which is chock- full of garlic and crushed red pepper) and Broccoli Rabe (what kid likes this stuff anyway?!) But since I’ve gotten older I really love kale both raw and cooked though raw is my favorite, collards raw only, chard.. mm. I think I could go on forever. I loves me some greens!

14. jcd says:

I’ve never heard of mâche greens before but you now have me curious.

Do brussels sprouts count as greens? If not, I’ll have to go with bok choy or rainbow chard.

15. Jackie says:

Just for the record, after reading your post, I had to whip out my 1995 recorded-from-tv vhs of Grease to watch. YAY!

16. what a fun idea to find a new cookbook and try a recipe a day, that could work as I try to learn more vegan!

17. Devan Newman says:

i adore that smoked tofu! my favorite!!
    i really want you to cook for me.. please? your food is way to delicious!! 😀

I will be posting me hugging my carb tomorrow.. look for it 😉

18. Favorite green? Mine would be a toss-up between collards and kale. But I don’t like either of those raw. In salad, I prefer romaine or (gasp!) iceberg (I know, no nutritional value…but I like the crunch).

I’ve never heard of mache. Sounds interesting, but I’m so weird about bitterness in raw greens, I’d have to try it before buying it. I’m no fan arugala, that’s for sure!

19. Mmm… greens :) My favorite are collards and kale!
    I love a good spinach salad.

Your mache meal looks very delicious. Especially the tofu on the side!

Have a great day! <3

20. veggienymph says:

I would have to go with butter lettuce as my faveorite green for salads and spinach for smoothies and soup. Mache sounds pretty tasty though. I will have to give it a try, if I can find it in my area.

21. Alison says:

Oooh…smoked tofu sounds really good. Just how smoking cheese makes it better.

I’ve always loved Grease.

22. Jenny says:

Grease is definitely one of my top 3 favorite movies of all time… Danny Sucko you make me melt. The first one DOMINATES the second!

23. Maria says:

Whoa omega-3 in greens is awesome! I gotta look for that mache stuff.

I usually have spinach or romaine. I spinach cooked or blended and romaine in salads. I actually had both today :)

24. Hiii Katie!! You sure know how to make smoked tofu look more delicious than it already it. It’s one of my favorite Asian tofu’s made into a stir fry with julienned carrots, bean sprouts, celery, and black fungus. So yummy and so vegan friendly too!!
    P.s. I’m hosting a ZenSoy pudding and soy milk giveaway, so hope you stop by if you’re interested! :) Happy hump day!!

25. Mache – looks much better than frisee. :)

My favorite green? Hmm, I do love my spinach, but I”m also a sucker for baby romaine. Love kale too…but only in roasted chip form.

Your meal of the day looks awesome Katie. I always love your variety. Blended barley…hugs. :)

26. Jenny R. says:

every green is my fav. I have yet to track me down some lettuce of the lambs. It’s kinda hard to find. It’s a good thing you wrote that about the pics b/c I can’t figure out how to upload pics from my new camera onto my computer…technologically challenged I am. But I still want to send you a pic of Cheddar with his favourite food (it’s kind of hilarious what his favourite food is)
    p.s. is that wildwood smoked tofu??

27. CaSaundra says:

I have never even heard of mache! Sounds good though–I am a green girl, so I am sure I would like it! :-) There’s still sooo many foods I need to try–better get chomping!

28. Shannon says:

i agree, i’m always out to try new fruits and veggies :) my fav green is spinach, hands down… er, up to my mouth 😉

29. Emily says:

Greens that contain omega 3’s? Sign me up! They sound delish. I actually have learned to like kale (kale chips are so good), but I also love spinach. :-)

30. mmm i love greens-i went through a costco sized tub of spinach in under 5 days this week!

31. Brittany says:

I’ve never had to say mache! I’d have to say…my favorite, or at least one of my favorites is spinach. Nothing too pizzazzy but it is a trusty steed.

32. Vegetation says:

Mmm they sound fabulous! I love greenery! And that cookbook looks awesome too!

My favourite green I’ve recently discovered is Sorrel. It’s sort of lemon peppery and delicious! I can’t get enough of it. Sadly it’s only available a few months a year :(

33. randomlymikey says:

i love me some greens :) these def. sound awesome.

34. broccolihut says:

Greens: you’re the one that I want. Ooh, ooh, ooh.
    Sorry, I couldn’t resist.

35. Marianne says:

Of course any self-respecting foodie wouldn’t limit themselves to only trying new foods for a month long challenge 😉 I can’t say I’ve ever seen mache greens in any of the stores here. Perhaps they are in some salad blends, but I don’t know if I could pick them up on their own to enjoy. Too bad!

36. maggie says:

Favorite green? Lately its been sugar snap peas!! Yummmmm

37. Hi Katie! I don’t think I’ve ever commented on your blog before, but I have visited several times and thought I would say hi :) I have tried mache and loved it, but I had no idea about the Omega 3’s! Very cool!

38. Catherine says:

Hi Katie: Thanks so much for the great post – i definitely love the movie Grease too :-) For all of you out there looking for Mache, we are available nationwide in Trader Joes and Whole Foods, as well as many specialty stores and big box retailers.

For those of you that mentioned that you like arugula and butter lettuce – we have a new Blend that just launched into Trader Joes called the Mache Butter Lettuce blend with 1/2 Mache and 1/2 red and green butter lettuce. Very succulent and tasty. We also have a Mache Mix called “Salade Verte” which has 30% arugula, with Mache and other greens. So keep a look out.

We are having a recipe contest, so if you’d like to submit your favorite mache recipe, we are giving away cookbooks to the first 25 people to submit a recipe. Go here if you are interested:

Have a wonderful day and hope you all can find mache in a store near you!

(have never tried chocolate covered mache yet…lol).