Greens is the word, have you heard?

Greens got meanin’

grease

When I learned—from the Epic Roots Company—about mâche greens (pronounced “mosh”), this new super food quickly jumped onto my list of new foods to try.

Mâche greens are pretty impressive.

For one thing, they contain Omega 3s. Omega 3s in lettuce??? Yes, one three-ounce serving of mâche greens contains 12% of the RDA for Omega 3 fatty acids.  These greens are also high in Vitamins A and C, Folic Acid, Iron, Potassium, and Zinc. Taste-wise, mâche greens have a sweet, almost-nutty flavor, and they are much less bitter than, say, kale. The leaves are so soft and fluffy that one can easily see how they got the nickname “lamb’s lettuce.” Spinach had better watch its back!

mache

And just as stellar as the greens is the Epic Roots company, itself. Not only did they send me coupons, they also gave me a cookbook, Great Greens, filled with delicious-sounding recipes and an in-depth guide/glossary to every green imaginable, from A to Z Arugula to Watercress.

epic roots cookbook

mache greens

1. I will have to try to find Mache in the store — I’ll keep an eye out for it. I am a huge fan of trying new greens!

2. Fave green? Hmmm, spinach or broccoli! Is that boring? Lo siento!

Have a great day, Miss Katie 🙂

3. Jessica says:

I like trying new greens, too. And the smoked tofu looks yummy…at first I thought it was smoked cheese…lol.

4. Wow, I’ve never heard of these but they sound great! Hee hee, I love Grease too! One of my favorite childhood movies that I still can’t get enough of!

Hmm…my favorite green would have to be spinach. We rarely get it here so when we do it is a special occasion. Oh! I love kale too but we NEVER get it here so I almost can’t remember what it tastes like.

Ah, I love ALL greens!

5. Jessica says:

I really like mustard greens when they’re thrown into a nice chunky soup! I don’t know if I can pick an absolute fav though!

6. rhodeygirltests says:

I really love arugula and butter lettuce, alone or together in a salad! In fact our fridge is always stocked with plenty of arugula and other lettuces. YUM.

7. brandi says:

i love your challenges – so much fun 🙂

8. Crystal says:

I love all greens! I’m not sure if broccoli really can count since it’s not technically leafy and all- but it has been a stand- by favorite of my since I can remember. I think I was the only kid going to school with Broccoli Pies (Homemade version of a calzone which is chock- full of garlic and crushed red pepper) and Broccoli Rabe (what kid likes this stuff anyway?!) But since I’ve gotten older I really love kale both raw and cooked though raw is my favorite, collards raw only, chard.. mm. I think I could go on forever. I loves me some greens!

9. jcd says:

I’ve never heard of mâche greens before but you now have me curious.

Do brussels sprouts count as greens? If not, I’ll have to go with bok choy or rainbow chard.

10. Jackie says:

Just for the record, after reading your post, I had to whip out my 1995 recorded-from-tv vhs of Grease to watch. YAY!

11. what a fun idea to find a new cookbook and try a recipe a day, that could work as I try to learn more vegan!

12. Devan Newman says:

i adore that smoked tofu! my favorite!!
    i really want you to cook for me.. please? your food is way to delicious!! 😀

I will be posting me hugging my carb tomorrow.. look for it 😉

13. Favorite green? Mine would be a toss-up between collards and kale. But I don’t like either of those raw. In salad, I prefer romaine or (gasp!) iceberg (I know, no nutritional value…but I like the crunch).

I’ve never heard of mache. Sounds interesting, but I’m so weird about bitterness in raw greens, I’d have to try it before buying it. I’m no fan arugala, that’s for sure!

14. veggienymph says:

I would have to go with butter lettuce as my faveorite green for salads and spinach for smoothies and soup. Mache sounds pretty tasty though. I will have to give it a try, if I can find it in my area.

15. Jen (Running With Cake) says:

Love your idea for the hug-a-carb photo! Now, the problem is deciding which carb to take a photo with! I have so many favorites….

16. Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) says:

Greens….love veggies, it’s even in my URL name 🙂

Thanks for the shoutout on the bloggie and I just read your comment on HEABs blog. You were the 1st comment, I was the 2nd. You beat me by 2 mins you stinker! Just kidding sweetie, I love ya 🙂

17. Jessie (Vegan-minded) says:

I love mache, but my all-time favorite salad green is baby arugula. For green smoothies though, nothing beats spinach!

18. Daria @ Daria Can Cook says:

I love kale! Raw, cooked, made into chips – it’s all delicious. 🙂 I had sweet potato greens for the first time a few weeks ago and they were great too.

1. Jenn says:

sweet potato greens? sounds delicious! in which wonderland did you happen to find these?? 🙂

19. Pure2raw-twins says:

I pretty much like all greens! I can’t seem to get enough of them. Though, favorite is either kale or swiss chard. It is a toss up though love them all. 🙂

20. Alison says:

Oooh…smoked tofu sounds really good. Just how smoking cheese makes it better.

I’ve always loved Grease.