Mommy, how are Babies made?

The question that makes mothers everywhere cringe.

Warning: the above is shockingly graphic for a childrens’ book. But it makes a hilarious addition to any college party.

(The seniors read this book to us when I was a freshman in college. I really don’t know how I would’ve reacted if someone read it to me when I was a child!)

Fudge Baby FAQ:

Q and A for the Fudge Babies and Homemade Larabars.

I’ve gotten a lot of questions about the Larabar recipes, and so I thought it’d be a good idea to answer them all in one place. That way, you don’t have to click a million links to find the answers!

fb

Fudge Baby FAQ

1. Question: I don’t have (or don’t like) walnuts.  Can I sub another nut?

Answer: Of course! I’ve had a lot of success with cashews.

(In fact, I like the Homemade Cashew-Cookie Larabars  even better than the original fudge babies), and I know others have successfully made the balls or bars with almonds, pistachios, peanuts, pecans, Brazil nuts, etc.

2. Question: Must I use the fancy-schmancy, expensive dates from Whole Foods?

Answer: No, the Sunmaid packaged dates, available in mainstream grocery stores, are perfectly fine!  They’re what I usually use.  They seem softer, which makes my Magic Bullet happy. And they’re pre-pitted!

3. Question: I don’t have a food processor.  Does a Magic Bullet work?

Answer: Definitely. I usually make them in the Magic Bullet.  But you’ll want to halve the recipe if you’re making the original fudge babies.

4. Question: Do I need to refrigerate these bars?

Answer: Nope!  (But you’ll probably want to fridge the Raw Macaroons and Mounds Babies.)  And they freeze well.

7. How many cups of dates is 80 grams?  I don’t have a food scale.

Answer: 80 grams of dates is roughly 1/2 cup, tightly packed.  I list gram amounts because measuring in grams gives a much more precise amount.  For example, a cup of dates is a very vague measurement: there’s a big difference between a loosely-packed cup of dates and one that is jam-packed.  In many recipes, things like this wouldn’t matter… but sometimes such discrepancies can throw off an entire recipe.  Conversely, 80 grams of dates is 80 grams of dates, no matter how you look at it.

8. Question: How many calories are in each ball or bar?

They’re pretty comparable, gram for gram, to commercial Larabars.

I calculated the stats for one version here: Samoas Babies Calories and Nutritional Info.

Tips and Tricks:

I like to transfer the mixture to a plastic baggie and smush it all together first in there.  That way my hands don’t get as sticky:

100_8434

Use cookie cutters to make fun shapes.

Do you remember when you first found out how babies are made?

I was in third grade, and I told my mom, “That’s it; I don’t ever want to make you a grandma!”

Tags:

1. Jessica says:

Now you got me thinking and I DON”T remember how I found out? I know I never really had the talk with my parents either, and I turned out ok. I am thinking maybe I just learned in school? I don’t remember!!! Darn!!

2. You are totally harassing me with those fudge babies! They are going to start haunting my dreams! I NEED to make them but if you can believe it, Saudi Arabia is out of dates. Well, medjool dates anyway. And I refuse to even acknowledge other dates even exist. So. As soon as I get my hands on my sweet little morsels of medjool goodness I will make a whole litter of fudge babies!

As for finding out where babies come from…I really don’t remember at all! As early as I can remember I just always knew. I don’t remember a big A HA moment, and I know I didn’t have a convo with my parents….so who knows how I found out!

3. Meg says:

I need to make these! I have a bulk sized tub of dates just waiting to be bars 😉 Unfortunately all I have at school in my apartment is a blender!

Happy Wednesday!
    Love,
    Meg

4. Jessica says:

My parents explained things to me one year when my cat had a littler of kittens. Haha, I remember it being a pretty graphic conversation. *Shudders* Both my parents are teachers and they laid it out in scientific terms!

I’m still up to my elbows in Fudge babies! I need to get cashews and make the new recipe. I already have pecans, so that’ll be my next version!

5. Mama Pea says:

Unfortunately, I do remember that day. I was horrified. Much like my Magic Bullet is going to be when it finds out what I have in store for it 🙂

6. You are just too cute CCV. I can’t wait to get on making some homemade Larabars.

7. Yasmin says:

Have I mentioned how much I love you? These are the greatest things!!! Curse you for making me try these…now I can’t stop eating them 🙂 I can’t wait to experiment some more with the basic recipe.

8. Katharina says:

Fudge babies!!! Hmm… I don’t remember how I found out babies were made. I don’t even think I cared to know hahaha. I was too busy collecting lizards and frogs.

9. veggienymph says:

For the life of me I can’t remeber how I found out where babies come from. Now i am going to have ask my parents and see if there is a memorable story in there somewhere.

I noticed that some of the commenters mentioned not having a food processor and neither do I. So I took the Fudgy Babies recipie and tweeked it a bit. I ground the cashews in my coffee grinder, added cocnut, left out the dates and used agave nectar to bind everything together.

The result was great. Thanks again for the recipe! It provided an excellent source of inspiration. : )

10. lindsayruns says:

Haha you and your fudge babies, how many batches do you make in a day? I have no idea when I first found out the real way babies were made. How funny you said that to your mom!

11. Daria @ Daria Can Cook says:

Haha I love your response to your mom’s explanation! Like many of the other commenters, I can’t remember when I found out. It was probably in health class at school?

12. Haha you never fail to crack me, chica. Glad you have so much love for tus bebes

13. jcd says:

What? You mean babies aren’t delivered by storks? 😉

14. Marina says:

I remember when I asked how are babies made. My mom took me to grandma, so they two explained to me that when two people love each other, they pray to god….
    I was like, 3. And kept thinking. Wtf, that can’t be correct 😀

15. Clay says:

I remember i was in 2nd or 3rd grade as well and i asked my mother in an attempt to make her uncomfortable. Unfortunately, she was a single parent at the time and had developed and extremely thick skin my this point… so a question about procreation yeilded the response:

“A Mom and Day have sex and nine months later a baby is made.”

Granted, there were still some things to be answered but i ended up feeling more awkward than she did. Fail.

16. Lisa C. says:

Okay, I read the title “Barbies,” and was looking forward to a YouTube link to the Barbie Factory.

17. Yeah I’m not sure my parents ever did tell me. In fact, I seem to remember a strategically placed picture book not too unlike the one in the picture above…

We’re not much for birds and bees in this family I guess!

18. Bekah says:

Haha great F.A.Q. about those beauty fudge babies.
    I think if I were to use the magic bullet,I might just killll the magic bullet. I’ve made banana soft serve,one too many times in that thing. It burns out so darn easily!

In regards to the calories, I’m somewhat of a new reader,meaning I definitely hadn’t read that post about calorie counting yet. But I just did and I really appreciate and give ya kudos (or chocolate?) about what you brought up. 🙂 Have a great rest of your week Katie.

19. Jenny R. says:

HAHA your mom must have laughed so hard when you said that to her!

hehe I just got a magic bullet!! I haven’t even read the instructions yet…I didn’t know you could put hard things like nuts in it. I didn’t think it was strong enough to deal with crunchy stuff…hmm maybe I should pull out that instruction manual.

20. Great tips on your fudge babies…. there are so many combination’s to try out! Love that! I really don’t remember when I learned about baby making… shows that I do not have a good memory. 🙂