I wasn’t Supposed To Put Beef In The Trifle

Rachel, no you weren’t supposed to put beef in the trifle. It did not taste good.

rachel trifle

Reason 1,000001 to become a vegetarian:

You’ll never have to worry about making the same mistake as Rachel on Friends.

That doesn’t mean my Thanksgiving cooking was without its fair share of snafus. I’d originally planned on making a stuffed squash, but that idea deflated… literally. I still managed a pretty good feast:

znyc 503

My mom’s delicious roasted red pepper dip (subbing raw zucchini sticks for the non-vegan bread)

Dinner included mashed kabocha (it’s not Thanksgiving without pumpkin!), sesame-garlic tempeh, mache salad, and the would-be squash stuffing. And some of these:

znyc 567

My mom’s famous roasted pecans.

Aaaaaand: You didn’t think you’d get through a post without seeing Fudge Babies, did you?

b3

Coconut-covered, Raw & vegan Mounds Bar Babies.

Luckily I made like three batches, because they went like hot cakes. I made 1/2 with coconut shavings and 1/2 without. Not one was left by the end of the night, even with two pumpkin pies, two apple pies, cranberry crumble, and peanut butter cookies also available for consumption. And my neighbor, who’s been doing the gluten-free thing for a few years now, wants to hire me to make him with homemade Larabars. I told him that they’re so easy to make I couldn’t possibly think of being paid for it.

znyc 566

Above, fresh pom seeds to wash down the chocolate.

Henry wishes that someone would cut him a piece of fruit.

hman

Hmmm, do you think anyone would notice if I stole a banana off the tray?

1. I wish I had someone to take out the pom seeds for me. 🙂 We eat 2 Thanksgiving dinners, the last being at my family’s house. We eat late and they are all partiers, so we stay up playing cards, talking, etc. This year, we were there til 3am!

2. Pam says:

Luv Henry…so cute! Food looks great! I have mostly raw choc chip cookies in the dehydrator right now…new recipe….so good!

You enjoy the day wonderful and cheery girl!

3. JCD says:

Mmmm…. everything looks great!

My family always plays board games after Thanksgiving supper too. This year we played Quelf – funniest board game ever.

4. Jessica says:

Your meal looks and sounds very nice! I’m sad that Thanksgiving is over already. 🙁

I usually clean up the kitchen and do the dishes, then dive into dessert while I watch a movie.

5. Abby says:

Your moms roasted red pepper dip looks delish! I love your plate.. you and I share a similar palate!!

Glad you had a wonderful holiday. After din this year, we took a nice long walk then came back for dessert and vegged out on the couch with a movie (not tooo much different than every other night!) lol 🙂

6. Hey Katie

hope your cck operation is a great success…im clicking clicking clicking! 😀

7. After Thanksgiving meal we chill and chat… sometimes a board game makes it’s way out… wine is always involved 😉

8. Gena says:

Your Mom’s red pepper dip looks awesome!

9. Melinda says:

Looks like a yummy meal for you. After Thanksgiving this year I sat around and met other military wives here. The guys played poker. Usually I just sit around and talk after eating.

10. Chrysta says:

awesome post! Looks like a super yummy thanksgiving! After eating I like to take a nice walk and let everything settle. Then of course its dessert time=) I wish you all the best in your fund raising. Its such a wonderful thing you are doing!

11. erintakescontrol says:

Both of my Thanksgiving feasts featured just about everything I don’t eat. I ate a huge salad before the first one, only having a scoop of corn and a small slice pumpkin pie at the first one. Luckily, my Mom’s side of the family understands (for the most part) my food choices. I wasn’t so lucky at the second feast, but I made do with carrots, pecans, and wine. I brought my own hummus, of course.

Your meal looks delicious!
    Erin

12. Emily says:

Sounds like a great Thanksgiving meal, Katie! Wish I had been there to sample your fudge babies. We played games right after our meal, too, in between dinner and dessert. 🙂

13. Jenny says:

I think I waited about .000000002 seconds after dinner to hop on over to the dessert table – it’s my fav part!

p.s. I agree with your neighbor – you should market your laras and fudgie babies and sell them! or just send me all of them for free, whatever you prefer 😉 I keed I keed

chocolate covered kisses to you pie!

14. Jen says:

It looks like you had a scrumptious Thanksgiving!

By the way, my family also plays charades after the meal and before dessert. =D

15. merittothecarrot says:

Looks incredible! Glad to see the fudge babies were there 🙂

My family took a long walk around the neighborhood.
    I hope the last day of CCK goes stupendously!

16. lexi. says:

that episode of friends is hilarious. I love your thanksgiving plate!! Looks delish. after my thanksgiving meal, my family and i watch movies or tv, then come back for dessert 🙂

17. *Andrea* says:

haahhaah loved that episode!!! your plate looks fabulous – colorful and hearty 😉

18. I’m totally making your fudge babies (actually the cashew cookie ones) for raw day later this week!!! And glad you had an awesome Thanksgiving! Your T-giving plate looks way healthier than mine did…

19. Kelly says:

Mmm, that roasted red pepper dip looks fantastic! Glad you enjoyed your holiday. 🙂 After my dinner, I went to the neighbors’ house to crash their celebration! Well, not really, cuz my aunt and uncle live right behind us and hosted the Thanksgiving feast for the other side of my family. I’m so spoiled to have family close by!

Oh, and WOW – I can’t believe OCCK is almost done ALREADY. November has flown by!

20. Katie says:

We go straight for the dessert. In fact, I usually just “snack” on the real food (turkey, stuffing, etc.) so that I can still be hungry for dessert. Then my family goes for a looonng walk afterwards to digest. 🙂